Position Battles

dll2000

ILB is once again Trevathan and Smith show.

Man did Trevathan play awful in early games.   Awful.  I think he didn’t think season was going and didn’t train properly.   I think this happened to a lot of guys.    He looked better late in year, but was a liability in coverage the whole season. 

Hopefully he comes back ready to play this year.

Bears signed Christian Jones again.  He was pretty awful in last stint with Bears, but played well after he left.

I think he is primary back up since Woods and Iggy have done nothing to note to date.   He could even push Trevathan if Trevathan stinks again early.

All ILBs should rejoice at return of Goldman.   Our DL outside of Hicks got pushed around quite a bit in run game last year and it really hurt the LB play.

CB is most interesting position again this year.

Basically every position outside of Johnson is up for grabs.

I think Trufant is penciled starter, but unlike other positions and past years they will let their young guys compete for this job.

I think the hope is a drafted player wins CB2 and slot, but it will be most intriguing competition.  

My feeling is best 3 CBS are Johnson, Trufant and Vildor, however; I don’t think Vildor got much time in slot last year so if he loses out to Trufant Shelley may have a leg up on him inside due to reps.

Burns and Roberson are dark horse hopefuls.

I think in all honesty that is not a strong CB group on paper.  Probably below average in a division with some very good WRs.  Losing Fuller hurts.    

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

SS is definition of average in Gipson, backed by Bush.

FS is manned by Jackson who has not lived up to big contract.  

I believe penalties calling back his big plays effect him mentally in a negative way.  He seems to be a momentum player.

DHC is special teams player who does well in spot duty at either S position, not someone you want to see starting multiple games though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

FS is manned by Jackson who has not lived up to big contract.  

I believe penalties calling back his big plays effect him mentally in a negative way.  He seems to be a momentum player.

It has nothing to do with momentum and everything to do with usage...when Amos was here it was clear he was the guy to play near the LOS and it allowed Jackson to play deep centre which is his natural position and skill set...by signing guys like Haha and Gipson he has been asked to play more of a combo safety role which just doesn't suit that skill set...hopefully with Desai as DC now who worked a ton with Jackson we will get back to playing him in the right way...no one ever asked Ed Reed to play in the box and we shouldn't ask Jackson to...

Next offseason finding a true SS has to be high on the priority list to fix the position long term and get the best out of Jackson at FS.

I'm hoping there a reasonable amount of competition at nearly every position even where the guy whose in place isn't likely to get bumped.

You want to see the primary backups competing with the #1 guy for some playing time.  Every guy on that roster should feel he has a shot at starting.  The closer we can get to experiencing little or no drop off in play if an injury takes someone out the closer we are to winning a championship.

Snowden is more likely to make the roster than some of the fringe depth OLB, like Mack's brother, imo....

I still stand by my statement that I want Snowden behind Trevethan at ILB, however, not at OLB.   He'd add the coverage potential Danny T increasingly lacks, and though he's a bit softer in run support and needs more protecting up front, that's something we need to do anyway with Roquan.

Tonga I see being a weekly inactive, if he makes the roster, unless they believe he can plug NT, and Goldman can play 5t.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Next offseason finding a true SS has to be high on the priority list to fix the position long term and get the best out of Jackson at FS.

I know we had limited picks after the trades but I was surprised we didn’t take someone this year to push for that role. A rookie contract next to Jackson with a more complementary skill set for the next few years would be ideal. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Breaking Down Chicago Bears Center Competition

The Chicago Bears seem to have their plans set at tackle heading into training camp. We can expect to see Teven Jenkins at left tackle and Germain Ifedi at right tackle, although Larry Borom will be competing to take that job.

Still, all that does is leave the interior to be deciphered. Cody Whitehair played two positions in 2020, James Daniels missed most of the year, and Sam Mustipher wound up starting at center from week eight on.

It appears that one of these three will be starting at center, the question is which one?

Cody Whitehair

Cody Whitehair has the most starting NFL snaps at center with 3,904. To start 2020, he was locked in at center, and only moved due to injuries and need. If the Bears want stability at center, they will pick Whitehair.

On the other end, Whitehair struggled in 2020 at center and once he moved to guard things seemed to take a turn for the better. Beyond that, his biggest issue at center is snapping, which does have its value. Lastly, it may help Teven Jenkins, a rookie LT to have Whitehair, a player who has seen it all beside him. Overall. Whitehair has been best at left guard and may be best there.

James Daniels

James Daniels spent 508 snaps at center in 2020. It was some of the worst play of his career to be blunt. His biggest issue is power and he is much better on the move. It is easier to get him away from nose tackles and to pull him from the guard spot to create open field runs.

On the other side, his biggest issue came with communication between he and Mitch Trubisky. With a more experienced signal caller, that could be easier, and he and Justin Fields can get on the same page together, whereas Trubisky had Whitehair early on, then had to switch to Daniels.

Beyond that, Daniels was a center at college and projected best to center in the NFL. Maybe his path took a year longer than expected, but if he physically matures, and can get on the same page as Justin Fields it could be for the better.

Sam Mustipher

Sam Mustipher finished 2020 with 553 snaps at center. He was the man on the Bears run to end the year, and with Cody Whitehair at guard and Mustipher at center, they figured out the run game. They could just add Daniels at right guard, and boom they have their group. He is young, on a cheap deal, and would be a nice compliment between Daniels and Whitehair who are bigger investments.

On the flip side, of his seven games, the best two were against Detroit and Houston. In fact, of his starts he faced NO, DET, HOU, GB, MIN, and JAX. His two worst performances were the two times the Chicago Bears played New Orleans.

His biggest issues come in pass pro and typically against quicker rushers. His floor is somewhat high, but the ceiling may be equally limited.

1 minute ago, soulman said:

Breaking Down Chicago Bears Center Competition

The Chicago Bears seem to have their plans set at tackle heading into training camp. We can expect to see Teven Jenkins at left tackle and Germain Ifedi at right tackle, although Larry Borom will be competing to take that job.

Still, all that does is leave the interior to be deciphered. Cody Whitehair played two positions in 2020, James Daniels missed most of the year, and Sam Mustipher wound up starting at center from week eight on.

It appears that one of these three will be starting at center, the question is which one?

Cody Whitehair

Cody Whitehair has the most starting NFL snaps at center with 3,904. To start 2020, he was locked in at center, and only moved due to injuries and need. If the Bears want stability at center, they will pick Whitehair.

On the other end, Whitehair struggled in 2020 at center and once he moved to guard things seemed to take a turn for the better. Beyond that, his biggest issue at center is snapping, which does have its value. Lastly, it may help Teven Jenkins, a rookie LT to have Whitehair, a player who has seen it all beside him. Overall. Whitehair has been best at left guard and may be best there.

James Daniels

James Daniels spent 508 snaps at center in 2020. It was some of the worst play of his career to be blunt. His biggest issue is power and he is much better on the move. It is easier to get him away from nose tackles and to pull him from the guard spot to create open field runs.

On the other side, his biggest issue came with communication between he and Mitch Trubisky. With a more experienced signal caller, that could be easier, and he and Justin Fields can get on the same page together, whereas Trubisky had Whitehair early on, then had to switch to Daniels.

Beyond that, Daniels was a center at college and projected best to center in the NFL. Maybe his path took a year longer than expected, but if he physically matures, and can get on the same page as Justin Fields it could be for the better.

Sam Mustipher

Sam Mustipher finished 2020 with 553 snaps at center. He was the man on the Bears run to end the year, and with Cody Whitehair at guard and Mustipher at center, they figured out the run game. They could just add Daniels at right guard, and boom they have their group. He is young, on a cheap deal, and would be a nice compliment between Daniels and Whitehair who are bigger investments.

On the flip side, of his seven games, the best two were against Detroit and Houston. In fact, of his starts he faced NO, DET, HOU, GB, MIN, and JAX. His two worst performances were the two times the Chicago Bears played New Orleans.

His biggest issues come in pass pro and typically against quicker rushers. His floor is somewhat high, but the ceiling may be equally limited.

Pretty clear Mustipher is center.

Plan as of today is Jenkins, Whitehair, Mustipher, Daniels, Ifedi.

I think Borom gets a shot at OT, but ends up a G in long run.   I have a feeling he will eventually replace Daniels if he is any good.  Bears finally drafting OTs to fill in G positions though.   Makes me happy.

National media doesn't think so because they don't watch as closely as us, but that is an improvement over Leno, Daniels, Whitehair, Long/Coward/whoever, Massie which was long time configuration.  Long was long spent.  Whitehair was never a great center and Massie and Leno simply lack talent and athletic ability for this level.   They were try hards.   

They seem to think we have downgraded by cutting Massie and Leno.   Even if Jenkins is bad, so was Leno so it is a wash.  And I think there is no way Jenkins will be worse in run game.

Ifedi is better than Massie most of time and is a far better athlete.   

Whitehair is a way better guard than center.   That really makes a difference across board as well.  Very underrated move.  

Finding a decent center was key because Whitehair was playing out of position.   Though I am not sold on Mustipher.   Should be a position to keep an eye on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Finding a decent center was key because Whitehair was playing out of position.   Though I am not sold on Mustipher.   Should be a position to keep an eye on.

Agreed.  It's not his best position regardless of what John Fox thought.  He really needs to become a fixture at LG again especially with Jenkins slotted to play LT.  If those two can get in lock step it's gonna create a very strong left side for both the run game and pass pro.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Plan as of today is Jenkins, Whitehair, Mustipher, Daniels, Ifedi.

This would be my hope as well and that they can settle on these five as soon as possible so run and pass blocking can get coordinated.

Mustipher is somewhat the wild card here.  Can he continue to improve or is he near his ceiling now?

If he fails to ascend I'd like to think they can always move Daniels back to OC with Bars or Borom at RG but where Borom ends up may well depend upon how long Ifedi is around.  If as Castillo claims Ifedi can play at or near a Pro Bowl level then it's very likely Pace will offer him a longer term deal.  Be nice if that happened but I'm not gonna count those chickens just yet.

I still believe Daniels can play OC.  As a rookie he simply didn't have the strength or the ballast to match up with powerful NTs but even last year we could see how much he'd bulked up and that it was "good weight".  While I like him better at RG because of his movement skills I could easily see him as a top level OG or OC.  His versatility is one of his greatest strengths.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 3:32 PM, soulman said:

I still believe Daniels can play OC. 

I do too, and this regime drafted him for that role. I wonder how much of Whitehair remaining at C last season to start out stemmed from Mitch’s comfort with him there. Should they want to put Daniels back at C, RG is probably the one OL position where we have the most depth for reasonable replacements with Bars, Ifedi, maybe Wilkinson and possibly Hambright too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I do too, and this regime drafted him for that role. I wonder how much of Whitehair remaining at C last season to start out stemmed from Mitch’s comfort with him there. Should they want to put Daniels back at C, RG is probably the one OL position where we have the most depth for reasonable replacements with Bars, Ifedi, maybe Wilkinson and possibly Hambright too. 

One thing seems to be clear and that is leaving Whitehair at LG.  The offense needs him there and Jenkins also needs him there.

From OC to RT we have the possibility of several combinations so this is where I see the most competition taking place