Position Battles

dll2000

Projected starters pre camps via OurLads:

LWR 12 Robinson, Allen U/Jax 18 Davis, Reggie SF19 82 Weah, Jester SF21 00 GOODWIN, MARQUISE CC/SF    
RWR 11 Mooney, Darnell 20/5 88 Ridley, Riley 19/4 13 Adams, Rodney SF20 14 Ives, Thomas CF19    
SWR 00 Byrd, Damiere U/NE 17 Miller, Anthony 18/2 83 Wims, Javon 18/7 00 Newsome, Dazz 21/6    
LT 00 Jenkins, Teven 21/2 73 Simmons, Lachavious 20/7 76 Traore, Badara CF20        
LG 68 Daniels, James 18/2 71 Hambright, Arlington 20/7 60 Eiselen, Dieter CF20        
C 65 Whitehair, Cody 16/2 67 Mustipher, Sam CF19            
RG 74 Ifedi, Germain U/Sea 64 Bars, Alex CF19 00 Cervenka, Gage SF21        
RT 70 Wilkinson, Elijah U/Den 00 Borom, Larry 21/5 00 Vogel, Gunnar CF21        
TE 80 GRAHAM, JIMMY CC/GB 85 Kmet, Cole 20/2 81 Holtz, JP W/Was 49 Clark, Darion SF20 87 Horsted, Jesper CF19
QB 14 DALTON, ANDY U/Dal 9 FOLES, NICK T/Jax 1 Fields, Justin 21/1        
RB 32 Montgomery, David 19/3 29 Cohen, Tarik 17/4 25 Williams, Damien CC/KC 00 Herbert, Khalil 21/6 35 Nall, Ryan CF18
RB             00 Marable, CJ CF21 46 Pierce, Artavis CF20
DEFENSE
DT 96 HICKS, AKIEM U/NE 63 London, LaCale CF20 00 Kamara, Sam CF21 00 Schaffer, Thomas CF21    
NT 98 Nichols, Bilal 18/5 91 Goldman, Eddie 15/2 00 Tonga, Khyiris 21/7        
RDE 97 Edwards Jr., Mario SF20 90 Blackson, Angelo U/Arz 00 Snowden, Charles CF21        
OLB 52 MACK, KHALIL T/Oak 99 Gipson, Trevis 20/5 57 Mack, Ledarius CF20        
ILB 58 Smith, Roquan 18/1 55 Woods, Josh CF18 52 JONES, CHRISTIAN CC/Det        
ILB 59 TREVATHAN, DANNY U/Den 45 Iyiegbuniwe, Joel 18/4 00 Johnson, Caleb CF21        
OLB 94 QUINN, ROBERT U/Dal 50 Attaochu, Jeremiah U/Den 93 Vaughters, James SF19        
CB 21 TRUFANT, DESMOND CC/Det 37 Burns, Artie U/Pit 00 Graham Jr., Thomas 21/6 30 Joseph, Michael CF18 35 Crawford, Xavier SF19
SS 38 GIPSON, TASHAUN SF20 26 Bush, Deon 16/4 43 Christian, Marqui SF20 21 Lucas, Jordan U/KC    
FS 39 Jackson, Eddie 17/4 36 Houston-Carson, DeAndre 16/6            
CB 33 Johnson, Jaylon 20/2 20 Shelley, Duke 19/6 22 Vildor, Kindle 20/5 31 Roberson, Tre SF20 37 Tabor, Jalen SF20
SP

Top to bottom:

As of May 12th:

WR:

I think Robinson and Mooney are unquestioned 1 and 2.

3 is a battle between Miller, Byrd, Ridley, Goodwin and Newsome.  

I would give Byrd inside track because Miller is in dog house at moment.

I think Wims is cut as he is more in dog house than Miller.

LT: Jenkins is penciled in here.  Kinda funny that they are willing to throw him to wolves to learn fast, but don’t use same logic with Fields.

OurLads has Simmons has back up, but I’m not buying that.  If Jenkins stinks or goes down I think they either give Bars a shot or reshuffle line up and put Ifedi or Whitehair at LT.

LG: is Whitehair though Daniels has always manned that position when healthy.  I think they like that Whitehair does well there and will just leave him there.

C :  I think Mustipher has won the job here for time being.  Not sure why OL shows WH starting.    I would say Whitehair is back up should Mustipher go down.

RG:  Daniels is going to be moved to RG I think.  Backed by Bars who will not get a real shot to win job, because that is not how Bears work.  Though they should.

RT:  Ifedi.  I think Ifedi gets the RT gig even though they acquired him to play G.  They simply have no one better.   I think they want to try Borom here, but he doesn’t project at T in NFL.  They would better to just start Borom learning G now.   I think they should have kept Bars at OT.

Wilkinson will also get a chance to start and will likely be first back up.  

Continued...

Edited by dll2000
Forgot about Wilkinson
  • Like 1

TE:  I think this is pretty much same as last year with Kmet getting more and more reps.

It will be primarily Kmet, Graham and Clark, with Holtz playing more of a blocker role.   Though Holtz was terrible at it last year while being pretty good at it year before.   Mooney blocked inside better than Holtz last year - that is flat embarrassing for Holtz.  Holtz better revert to form or he isn’t even making team.

Clark, after having an awesome camp, didn’t show up in games and had some key bad plays that killed drives.

Graham played above my expectations last year, which were really low, and he was a really good mentor for Kmet.  

I still think Bears have something in Horstead that they should work to develop.  Not saying he is a pro bowler, but he is a talented football player.  

30 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I still think Bears have something in Horstead that they should work to develop.  Not saying he is a pro bowler, but he is a talented football player.  

Horsted didn’t even see the field in 2020, spending the entire season on the PS after having been on the active roster for half of 2019. Expecting anything from him going forward is probably ill advised. The likelihood he sees enough run in 2021 to convince the team not to invest FA dollars or a draft pick in a player likely to immediately jump him on the depth chart in 2022 is really low. That said, we didn’t add a TE this offseason so it’s not totally out of the question.

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Horsted didn’t even see the field in 2020, spending the entire season on the PS after having been on the active roster for half of 2019. Expecting anything from him going forward is probably ill advised. The likelihood he sees enough run in 2021 to convince the team not to invest FA dollars or a draft pick in a player likely to immediately jump him on the depth chart in 2022 is really low. That said, we didn’t add a TE this offseason so it’s not totally out of the question.

Bears are not high on Horsted.  That is more a personal opinion.  I see something in him.  

• Like 1

QB ‘battle’ is Dalton and Fields watch count down to Fields hitting the grass.

I don’t think Bears do a GB and keep him inactive like they did Love, but at same time they probably would rather Foles went in should Dalton go down in middle of game if they sticking with their stupid plan.  

I am not sure job security of Nagy.  QB pick seems to indicate he has two years.

But I am still not certain he can survive a 3 or 4 win season with Fields on bench.  Especially with no high first round pick to get excited about that comes with a horrible year.

He better think about that.  

Nagy is dead set on trying to recreate the Mahomes experience and do everything exactly same.   To me that is foolishness.  Bears are not the 2017 KC Chiefs.  This was a team on verge with a QB playing at pro bowl level that had been with team for years and then inexplicably went QB in first round surprising everyone.

Bears are a semi-rebuilding team that had one of worse playoff teams in memory.   Totally different.   

Give Fields every rep and let him play I have been pounding table.   But whatever.  Dalton plays until Nagy loses patience and puts Fields in half trained because he spent too much time on Dalton.

Takes about 3-4 games.  Less if they start out losing all of them.  

RB starter is easy.  Montgomery. 

Montgomery is best player on team at moment.  

Cohen has been bad of late and needs to recreate some of big play magic of the early years.

Bears drafted a rookie that is a one cut straight line runner with break away speed and nice size that will demand reps and push Cohen if he isn’t on his Ps and Qs.

Totally sucks what happened to Cohen’s brother.  Would not wish that on my worst enemy.  

Lifestyle of too many in this country that leads to these tragedies makes me crazy sad.

Mack and Quinn are mainstays on Edge though both reportedly played through many injuries last year and Mack was on field way too much for max effectiveness.

Looks like Bears signed Jeremiah Attaochu to be main back up.  Don’t know much about him to be honest.

Last years rookie Gipson should get rest of reps.

Longtime veteran Vaughters keeps hanging about and I think UDFA Snowden is a Bears traits pickup they are hoping surprises or develops over time.

A lot people compare Snowden to Floyd.  

Edited by dll2000