2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

8 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Since I think Atlanta will pick Wilson and we're not going to draft a WR who can't block or play all 3 spots, I think we're going to go with Drake London or Chritian Watson. They check all the boxes including having a wide catching radius that can help Wilson as he works on his accuracy. 

Some people will glance at Watson's stats and assume he's just a combine warrior, but NDSU is a run heavy offense. WRs aren't getting a lot of targets. He can be a deep threat like Williams and attack inside like London. I've never seen a WR put that much effort into blocking. He has ran 50+ yards to the opposite of the field to finish blocks multiple times. I know Saleh & JD love that. 

Moore, Watson/London, Davis, Conklin, CJ, and Berrios is perfect for me. Still have Carter to dump it to. Those targets with this oline will be pretty tough. 

I do think we like Watson with one of those 2nd rounders if we don't draft one at 10.

I really like Markquese Bell.  Similar to Whitehead, but has more athleticism.  4.41 one speed. Could be developed into a potential starter, but will at least be a great special team player. He originally committed to Maryland. 

I'm interested in Keonte Hampton from Jackson State, but I can't find his pro day results.  Great against the run. Just curious to see if he has the athleticism that can be worked with in coverage.  6'2 220lbs.

The idea of Drake London at 10 is growing on me. I mean the more I watch him the more fun he is to watch. Does he run the elite routes and get incredible separation bc of those routes and speed? No not really. But the dude still catches the ball. And I haven't seen a WR since Megatron that just doesn't go down after the catch. This offense is ran on guys getting YAC. And he gets that. Not in the typical way you'd think by speed and quickness, but by just not letting 1, 2, 3 + guys at time bring him down. Tackling in the NFL is suspect. And he isn't going down by weak body tackles. His frame intimidates CBs and even Ss.

My point is merely that he still wins balls and is a great YAC guy. Just bc he does it in a different way than Moore, doesn't mean it doesn't fit with us. 

He also we cant forget is a natural leader and has a very likable personality. Something JD for sure takes into consideration when drafting guys. 

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The idea of Drake London at 10 is growing on me. I mean the more I watch him the more fun he is to watch. Does he run the elite routes and get incredible separation bc of those routes and speed? No not really. But the dude still catches the ball. And I haven't seen a WR since Megatron that just doesn't go down after the catch. This offense is ran on guys getting YAC. And he gets that. Not in the typical way you'd think by speed and quickness, but by just not letting 1, 2, 3 + guys at time bring him down. Tackling in the NFL is suspect. And he isn't going down by weak body tackles. His frame intimidates CBs and even Ss.

My point is merely that he still wins balls and is a great YAC guy. Just bc he does it in a different way than Moore, doesn't mean it doesn't fit with us. 

He also we cant forget is a natural leader and has a very likable personality. Something JD for sure takes into consideration when drafting guys. 

I really don't like taking guys who had injury ending seasons with our team's injury history but at least this wasn't soft tissue or surgery.

My question though is, why was he considered a 2nd rounder all year long and then once the offseason hit he jumped to top 10 consideration?

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I really don't like taking guys who had injury ending seasons with our team's injury history but at least this wasn't soft tissue or surgery.

My question though is, why was he considered a 2nd rounder all year long and then once the offseason hit he jumped to top 10 consideration?

I think some guys get moved down boards bc of injury and when doctors and all see the progress of their return it alters things. London I believe is working out in 2 weeks in an individual pro day. USCs pro day is actually today and he thinks he's just a couple weeks away from being pretty much 100%. So he's spiked up boards bc he seems to be healthy pre draft. Pretty much where he would've been if he was never injured. So if he shows he can move great in 2 weeks, he's going to stay in that top 15 area. If teams see him favoring his good leg and such, you'll see him fall a bit.

He's not the only one this is true with. Jameson Williams who got injured is ahead of schedule. So when he was a WR once top 10 and moved down once injured to a bottom 1st early end type guy. He's now more in that top 20 conversation bc he's ahead of schedule. 

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think some guys get moved down boards bc of injury and when doctors and all see the progress of their return it alters things. London I believe is working out in 2 weeks in an individual pro day. USCs pro day is actually today and he thinks he's just a couple weeks away from being pretty much 100%. So he's spiked up boards bc he seems to be healthy pre draft. Pretty much where he would've been if he was never injured. So if he shows he can move great in 2 weeks, he's going to stay in that top 15 area. If teams see him favoring his good leg and such, you'll see him fall a bit.

He's not the only one this is true with. Jameson Williams who got injured is ahead of schedule. So when he was a WR once top 10 and moved down once injured to a bottom 1st early end type guy. He's now more in that top 20 conversation bc he's ahead of schedule. 

I'll rephrase...how come he wasn't considered a 1st rounder during the season when he was healthy and making highlight reel catches?

I think we may double dip on EDGE, especially if we miss round 1 and grab a guy round 2.  JFM isn't a true edge.  Lawson is coming off an injury.  We can't expect a rookie to be full time.  Huff was hurt and wasn't drafted by Saleh.  Rashed is a UDFA.  Martin is depth.  Zuniga is probably the odd man out.

If we draft Thib/Ebiketie or even take a flyer and redshirt Ojabo, I like Isaiah Thomas late in the draft as a developmental prospect.  Could be a good fit opposite the "pure pass rushers" of Lawson/Thib/Eb/Ojabo.

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'll rephrase...how come he wasn't considered a 1st rounder during the season when he was healthy and making highlight reel catches?

He was though. Can't remember who it was on here always posting about him and Me and them really liked him. Have to remember he's had poor QB play while at USC too. But he still produced. Pac 12 as a whole bc of a short season last year had a lot of there guys not as much no the radar. He only played 6 games last year as WR2 (Amon-Ra was the #1) and London still had 500+yds and 3 TDs. Factor that over a real 12 game season and he's a 1k guy with 6+ TDs and on peoples radar a lot more.

This happens every year with guys. Especially at WR. Jameson Williams wasn't a top 10 pick until he played this year at Bama, injury is pushing him back a tad. Olave was graded higher than Wilson before the season started and now he passed Olave.

Take a guy like Ojabo who wasn't even on peoples boards really before the season and before his injury was a topo 15 guy. 

Wilson will probably end up in Atlanta.  I'm really interested in seeing where Jameson Williams will land. 

If Williams falls into the 20s, I'd trade back into the 1st for him. Our WR core is good enough to not be a problem for Wilson. Williams, Moore, Davis, and Berrios. 

15 hours ago, Dr.O said:

I really want Wilson or Olave. Really feel like both are perfect fits for what we need on offense.

Unless we trade... we'd have to take one at 10, bc neither are lasting to Round 2.

I've brought up several times that I like the idea of drafting guys at 2 and 10 and then trying to trade back into the end of Round 1 for a guy that we have ranked high that slipped a bit. Maybe that guy is an Olave or something. When I brought this idea up, it was with Jameson Williams after his injury, but he seems to have still maintained that draft value of the mid 1st round or so bc he's ahead of schedule in his recovery. An example of trade value could be us sending our 35th and like a 3rd next year to move up into the last 10 picks or so in Round 1. Or 35 and 111 for the last 5 picks or so in Round 1.

Why could this benefit us? Well you get the 5th year option on 1st rounders which can be big. We saw JD move up last year and give up a haul to get the guy he wanted. I could see us doing something like that again. But again it'd have to be a guy that we have ranked in like our top 15 that's for whatever reason still around in that 25 or later range. And there's plenty of teams that are good teams that often like to trade out of Round 1 to acquire more picks. They also sometimes don't like spending the extra money for that 1st rounder. But with the rookie pay scale now, that's not as big of a deal. 

IMO it's not worth hoping someone falls and we find a trade partner.  Last year we got lucky with Moore.  This year we just need to take our guy at 10.  Don't wait around and get into a Denzel Mims situation.

EDIT- saw a mock with Wilson, London, Williams, Burks, Dotson, Watson and Olave all going by 29.

Edited by jetsfan4life51

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Unless we trade... we'd have to take one at 10, bc neither are lasting to Round 2.

I've brought up several times that I like the idea of drafting guys at 2 and 10 and then trying to trade back into the end of Round 1 for a guy that we have ranked high that slipped a bit. Maybe that guy is an Olave or something. When I brought this idea up, it was with Jameson Williams after his injury, but he seems to have still maintained that draft value of the mid 1st round or so bc he's ahead of schedule in his recovery. An example of trade value could be us sending our 35th and like a 3rd next year to move up into the last 10 picks or so in Round 1. Or 35 and 111 for the last 5 picks or so in Round 1.

Why could this benefit us? Well you get the 5th year option on 1st rounders which can be big. We saw JD move up last year and give up a haul to get the guy he wanted. I could see us doing something like that again. But again it'd have to be a guy that we have ranked in like our top 15 that's for whatever reason still around in that 25 or later range. And there's plenty of teams that are good teams that often like to trade out of Round 1 to acquire more picks. They also sometimes don't like spending the extra money for that 1st rounder. But with the rookie pay scale now, that's not as big of a deal. 

I’m not against that. Pickens is another guy I love.