2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

lol He better not fail. He's had the season and a portion of an offseason to be ready for an injury that was supposed to be 4-6 weeks. He's a big dude, so weight is different for him but it shouldn't still be a big problem. 

Don't forget that he has to earn staffs' trust back as well.

Just now, JetsandI said:

Don't forget that he has to earn staffs' trust back as well.

If he's healthy, he's beating Fant. Last season was argubly Fant's career best. That wasn't even as good as Becton's rookie year which was just a year ago. He's only 22. I'm placing my bets on this one. At the very least, he's going to be a great RT. 

3 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

If he's healthy, he's beating Fant. Last season was argubly Fant's career best. That wasn't even as good as Becton's rookie year which was just a year ago. He's only 22. I'm placing my bets on this one. At the very least, he's going to be a great RT. 

Penning and Becton at run blocking.  oooohhhhh

Just now, JetsandI said:

Penning and Becton at run blocking.  oooohhhhh

To be real, I don't like Penning. He's not going to be able to swing people around and take those extra cheap shots. Defenders will bully this man. Great prospect for development, but I see nothing but flags and defenders putting him on his back playing like that. 

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

To be real, I don't like Penning. He's not going to be able to swing people around and take those extra cheap shots. Defenders will bully this man. Great prospect for development, but I see nothing but flags and defenders putting him on his back playing like that. 

He surely needs some pro practice to get ready in no time.

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

He surely needs some pro practice to get ready in no time.

Yeah, I don't hate the idea of picking up but I'm not really looking at him. He nearly started a fight at a senior bowl practice. Max Mitchell, Nicholas Petit-Frere, Rasheed Walker, Raimann, Austin Deculus, Kellen Diesch, Jalen McKenzie, Andrew Stueber, Baer Hunter, Cade mays, Chris paul, and Marcus McKethan as great development prospects. 

I am probably the biggest Echols fan on the board here.  Also been saying for at least two years that it's the pass rush and S/LB play that is killing the defense. With that being said, if we were to draft Sauce, would Echols still get solid playing time?  MCII and Guidry are good on the inside.  Sauce and Hall on the outside, would that just leave Echols in the dust?  He's a guy who competed every game and got better as the season went on so I'd rather not see him get lost on the depth chart and see what he can do with an improved pass rush.  If he can work on getting his head turned around he has great potential.

7 hours ago, Greene N White said:

Hoping we just go best player available I’m thinking Hamilton at 4 and linerbaum and 10. While I think we need help on the edge Getting Lawson back will obviously help and I’d like to see huff get some reps. He impressed me with what I saw last season. 

I'm 100% expecting Sauce or Hamilton now.  I would love Ickey if he's there but (it's short sighted) I don't want him on the bench if Fant and Becton are healthy and playing well.  I don't know how our FO feels about Thibs so I would almost rather a trade down from 4 to get better value but we would need a dance partner.  Thibs and Burks/Wilson is looking optimal right now then we can grab the best S and LB available top of Round 2.  Then the rest of the draft we can get role players and developmental guys like C and TE.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it goes the complete opposite way and they like WR and Edge depth so much that they go CB/S and wait until R2 for those positions.

13 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I am probably the biggest Echols fan on the board here.  Also been saying for at least two years that it's the pass rush and S/LB play that is killing the defense. With that being said, if we were to draft Sauce, would Echols still get solid playing time?  MCII and Guidry are good on the inside.  Sauce and Hall on the outside, would that just leave Echols in the dust?  He's a guy who competed every game and got better as the season went on so I'd rather not see him get lost on the depth chart and see what he can do with an improved pass rush.  If he can work on getting his head turned around he has great potential.

I am not a fan of Echols.  I saw him chasing his man down the field too many times.  His penalties are an issue because he was getting beat.  For a rookie, he was OK and maybe those issue could be worked out.  But, maybe not.  If the Jets are in a position to upgrade, do it.

Sauce is interesting. Love him as a player and would be happy with him at 10 (not at 4). But lets say we do sign Gilmore... It'd be a waste to draft Sauce to be our 4th CB. He's not going to start over Gilmore and Hall right away and isn't a slot guy. We need starters still in areas, so use the resources better IMO.

Now if we don't sign a legit starting CB, by all means I'm pro Sauce at 10. 

52 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'm 100% expecting Sauce or Hamilton now.  I would love Ickey if he's there but (it's short sighted) I don't want him on the bench if Fant and Becton are healthy and playing well.  I don't know how our FO feels about Thibs so I would almost rather a trade down from 4 to get better value but we would need a dance partner.  Thibs and Burks/Wilson is looking optimal right now then we can grab the best S and LB available top of Round 2.  Then the rest of the draft we can get role players and developmental guys like C and TE.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it goes the complete opposite way and they like WR and Edge depth so much that they go CB/S and wait until R2 for those positions.

Honestly doesn’t matter to me as long as they take the 2 top guys on their board. No need to get cute here the team could use pretty much everything.

• rickyt31 changed the title to 2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk