2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

1 hour ago, xrade said:

I would not be surprised if the Jets drafted DT Travis Jones in day 3. Seems like a good replacement if Fats walks. May have to use our TRP since I don’t see him lasting to round 4. 

I know I'm going to get boo'd for this, but I'm open to selecting a DT that can become a starter at some point. Pass rush just doesn't come from the edge and I can make an argument it's the most impactful position in our scheme. It's hard to defend a great DT because the help needed opens blitz opportunities for LBs, Safeties, and 1-1 matchups for Edge Rushers. You can use your RB to help, but that takes away the easy dump option for the QB. So I'm open to it as long as the person we pick is actually good at some point. 

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Of course not. But it’s still a failed pick. We’re littered with them.

To be fair, the ones we actually drafted to be developed where added when we had Gase or before. New scheme and coaching. They seem to be very confident in their ability to develop. We haven't drafted a development prospect on the oline for this specific coaching group. So I can't count what happened before. 

20 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

To be fair, the ones we actually drafted to be developed where added when we had Gase or before. New scheme and coaching. They seem to be very confident in their ability to develop. We haven't drafted a development prospect on the oline for this specific coaching group. So I can't count what happened before. 

Well that’s 1 draft and we spent a 1st on a LG. So the sample size is small. But JD did draft Clarke who was a fail.

Previous but still recent… Edoga is a fail, Shell was below average and we let him walk. Harrison was a fail, Dozier fail, Winters might be the only half way decent mid rounder on the OL we developed. And he only seemed to play good in contract years to fool us.

By no means do I say don’t draft OLineman to develop them… but we just have an awful track record of drafting period. I mean even Jads 1st draft class from just 2 years ago looks below average. Becton in question. Mims can’t even get snaps. Davis seems to be progressing really slow. Hall is the only guys saving the class. Everyone else is already or should be cut.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Well that’s 1 draft and we spent a 1st on a LG. So the sample size is small. But JD did draft Clarke who was a fail.

Previous but still recent… Edoga is a fail, Shell was below average and we let him walk. Harrison was a fail, Dozier fail, Winters might be the only half way decent mid rounder on the OL we developed. And he only seemed to play good in contract years to fool us.

By no means do I say don’t draft OLineman to develop them… but we just have an awful track record of drafting period. I mean even Jads 1st draft class from just 2 years ago looks below average. Becton in question. Mims can’t even get snaps. Davis seems to be progressing really slow. Hall is the only guys saving the class. Everyone else is already or should be cut.

Our history sucks in all positions and picks. I'm not worried about our history with those picks because they simply just didn't work or went to a coach that was trash. Becton is 22 and had a down year. His rookie year was still better than what Fant did this year. I'll be concerned if he struggles this year. He may have missed on Mims, but he also drafted Moore, AVT, and Carter. His hit/miss ratio is comparable to some of the bigger draft teams. He just doesn't have a star player yet. 

46 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Our history sucks in all positions and picks. I'm not worried about our history with those picks because they simply just didn't work or went to a coach that was trash. Becton is 22 and had a down year. His rookie year was still better than what Fant did this year. I'll be concerned if he struggles this year. He may have missed on Mims, but he also drafted Moore, AVT, and Carter. His hit/miss ratio is comparable to some of the bigger draft teams. He just doesn't have a star player yet. 

Totally agree this last class looks legit. And I hope we build off of that our draft assets are great this year. Last years draft and this years draft will shape this roster for a decade. If we don’t hit on them… we’ll be be AJ to rebuilding with a new FO in a couple years.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Totally agree this last class looks legit. And I hope we build off of that our draft assets are great this year. Last years draft and this years draft will shape this roster for a decade. If we don’t hit on them… we’ll be be AJ to rebuilding with a new FO in a couple years.

Agreed. I feel pretty good where the offense will be next year. Just need at least a RG and TE. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I mean even Jads 1st draft class from just 2 years ago looks below average. Becton in question. Mims can’t even get snaps. Davis seems to be progressing really slow. Hall is the only guys saving the class. Everyone else is already or should be cut.

No argument here but JD drafting Mims was for a Gase led O. Mims does not or can not fit in LaFleurs O. Players are not always drafted in a vacuum, they are drafted with a specific use in mind. I’ll give JD a pass on his first draft because it was his first and it was for a different coaching staff. Let’s see if 2022 gets as many hits as 2021. This is why having a HC and GM in lockstep is so important. 

10 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

My #10 pick will be pending on free agency and who slips to 10. 

With how deep Edge, LB and Day 2 WRs look I will no longer care if we go Hamilton.  Just not at 4.

If we just go BPA like Neal/Ikem then Hamilton, land a WR and Edge round 2 and LB round 3 I'm cool with that.  I love having so many picks!  But I would much rather Thib fall because I would rather grab interior OL with Fant and Becton potentially locking down LT and RT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

With how deep Edge, LB and Day 2 WRs look I will no longer care if we go Hamilton.  Just not at 4.

If we just go BPA like Neal/Ikem then Hamilton, land a WR and Edge round 2 and LB round 3 I'm cool with that.  I love having so many picks!  But I would much rather Thib fall because I would rather grab interior OL with Fant and Becton potentially locking down LT and RT.

Yeah, my problem is that I'm so open minded, I'm not sure if there is a wrong direction to go at that pick. I just want the best player out of our position of needs. I love the depth in this OG class and we can pull a good TE from FA/Draft this year. If we were to sign a RG and trade for a top WR, we can do what ever we want in the draft. If we traded for Hunter, we won't need a DE. We're in position to go any direction and potentially not miss this year. 

15 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I hope Thibo really do fall to us. 

That would be great but a small part of me does not want that to happen. There is talk of Thibs “love of the game” as mentioned previously.  If JD does not feel comfortable with Thibs, he may pass. JD seems to be risk averse to character questions. In fact, many GM’s are risk averse if they sense the prospect does not love the game.  I’d hate to be in a position, as a fan, with Thibs staring us in the face and we pass.  Something will get broken. 

• rickyt31 changed the title to 2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk