2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Anyone know Jemaine Johnson's age? I cant seem to find it. I know he cant be too young for a guy about to be a rookie after spending a couples years at a JC, 2 years at Georgia and another at FSU. Assuming he was 18 when he went to college... that puts him already at 23. For comparison a guy like Kayvon just turned 21.

Class of 2017 for HS I believe. 23 makes sense.

Would love a 21 year old freak.

48 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Class of 2017 for HS I believe. 23 makes sense.

Would love a 21 year old freak.

Can't help but think we don't love Johnson for this reason. He's flown up draft boards to where if we don't draft Thibs at 4 (if he's there). 10 is a spot that we can look to go DE. And he's now entered that 10-10 range for DEs with Ojabo and Karlaftis. If you have to use a 1st rounder on him he's 28-29 after his 5 years, you tag him and he's 29-30. Not a great use of investment in a player that's already 30 after his initial contract and a tag. This is exactly what we ran into with Maye. We don't want to pay him bc he's already older for a guy that's about to go into his 6th year. Age does matter in some cases. And for in this case... I don't want Johnson bc of it. 

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Can't help but think we don't love Johnson for this reason. He's flown up draft boards to where if we don't draft Thibs at 4 (if he's there). 10 is a spot that we can look to go DE. And he's now entered that 10-10 range for DEs with Ojabo and Karlaftis. If you have to use a 1st rounder on him he's 28-29 after his 5 years, you tag him and he's 29-30. Not a great use of investment in a player that's already 30 after his initial contract and a tag. This is exactly what we ran into with Maye. We don't want to pay him bc he's already older for a guy that's about to go into his 6th year. Age does matter in some cases. And for in this case... I don't want Johnson bc of it. 

Most likely, Johnson wont be drafted in round 1.  Just because the media is fawning all over him ATM, does not mean GM's are.  We see this story every year - decent college production with a round 2-3 grade, incredible post season workouts, media pushes grade to round 1, prospect is drafted in rounds 2-3 or by the Raiders in round 1.

Several of us have stated in the past that these workouts are nice, but almost irrelevant to the end of season draft grades.  I'll stand by his projection in round 2.  Now, Myjai Sanders may be projected a round too low. 

On 2/9/2022 at 9:44 AM, xrade said:

Most likely, Johnson wont be drafted in round 1.  Just because the media is fawning all over him ATM, does not mean GM's are.  We see this story every year - decent college production with a round 2-3 grade, incredible post season workouts, media pushes grade to round 1, prospect is drafted in rounds 2-3 or by the Raiders in round 1.

Several of us have stated in the past that these workouts are nice, but almost irrelevant to the end of season draft grades.  I'll stand by his projection in round 2.  Now, Myjai Sanders may be projected a round too low. 

I think JJ can have similar value as Jaelen Phillips who went in 18 last year.

Something to keep an eye on is Calabrese. He’s a young, smart offensive mind. He’s slated to get a lot more responsibility with us since we didn’t retain Beck or Cavanaugh. My guess is he is slated to not only be Wilson’s mentor, but to also run the QB room and even have some OC responsibilities with LaFleur. Making something like a passing game coordinator like LaFleur was in SF.

But…… Kentucky is wanting to hire him as their OC. Which can be intriguing for him. If he takes it… that’s a huge blow for us to lose Calabrese, Beck and Cavanaugh. Outside of LaFleur those are the 3 guys Wilson has worked with as a pro. We don’t want new faces in here constantly telling our young QB different things.

What can stop this? Maybe giving Calabrese a bigger role and up his pay. So the UK job doesn’t seem so intriguing to him.

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Something to keep an eye on is Calabrese. He’s a young, smart offensive mind. He’s slated to get a lot more responsibility with us since we didn’t retain Beck or Cavanaugh. My guess is he is slated to not only be Wilson’s mentor, but to also run the QB room and even have some OC responsibilities with LaFleur. Making something like a passing game coordinator like LaFleur was in SF.

But…… Kentucky is wanting to hire him as their OC. Which can be intriguing for him. If he takes it… that’s a huge blow for us to lose Calabrese, Beck and Cavanaugh. Outside of LaFleur those are the 3 guys Wilson has worked with as a pro. We don’t want new faces in here constantly telling our young QB different things.

What can stop this? Maybe giving Calabrese a bigger role and up his pay. So the UK job doesn’t seem so intriguing to him.

If he goes to UK, perhaps bring back Beck if he is willing and have one of the position coaches learn from Beck and LaFleur?  Regardless, if Calabrese does go, I would expect LaFleur to get a guy that fits what he wants to replace him.

4 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Let's hope UK hire Cortez Hankton instead because I have no idea who will replace Rob Calabrese as qb coach.   John Beck won't come back for sure.

And I want Calabrese to stay. But it’s even more so as I mentioned not having several different people telling Wilson different things in crucial years in his development. I mean would Josh Allen have been who he is is Daboll was there for a year and left and they had a new guy telling him what to do in Year 3? 

• rickyt31 changed the title to 2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk