2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

1 minute ago, xrade said:

He is technically a FA, but one worth resigning. Not sure he has the strongest leg, but he gave this weary, deprived fanbase a peek at what’s competent kicker looks like. 

Agreed. Just makes me nervous when it's only 8 kicks. That's why I would still consider Cade at some point. If we didn't add a kicker, I'm fine with him. 

4 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Agreed. Just makes me nervous when it's only 8 kicks. That's why I would still consider Cade at some point. If we didn't add a kicker, I'm fine with him. 

True but he has been in the league a while. Rookie kickers tend to look less than stellar in the beginning due to nerves.  Except for Cincy’s stone cold assassin. I’ll take a competent kicker at this point. Why add another question mark ATM?

1 minute ago, xrade said:

True but he has been in the league a while. Rookie kickers tend to look less than stellar in the beginning due to nerves.  Except for Cincy’s stone cold assassin. I’ll take a competent kicker at this point. Why add another question mark ATM?

Because we're talking about a position that could be upgraded with a 6th or 7th round pick. No one would be mad and question JD for doing it. No one else would be picked in that round range and expect to make an impact. If he beats Cade, then Cade just goes to the PS. No risk. 

3 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

If he beats Cade, then Cade just goes to the PS. No risk. 

But that’s what gets me a bit nervous. Rookie comes in a wins the kicking competition. Vet is released. Rookie looks OK for a couple of games then gets inconsistent. JD looks for a new kicker during the season.  We’ve been looking for a kicker since Meyer. 

I’m just pessimistic at this point and I’d rather stay with a player that does not appear to be broken yet. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xrade said:

But that’s what gets me a bit nervous. Rookie comes in a wins the kicking competition. Vet is released. Rookie looks OK for a couple of games then gets inconsistent. JD looks for a new kicker during the season.  We’ve been looking for a kicker since Meyer. 

I’m just pessimistic at this point and I’d rather stay with a player that does not appear to be broken yet. 

It's all a risk with kickers anyway. Pineiro has been in the league for 4 years but only played 2. Those 8 kicks could just be a hot streak. He'll definitely be challenged this offseason. I'm fine with getting a late pick and using it on a kicker. 

3 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

What top flight CBs are playing for great defenses?  Ramsey, Alexander, White are on teams who did well and overall have great defenses.  Sure they have an impact but those defenses also get after the QB.  We add Stingley to this defense and it doesn't change anything unless we revamp our front 7.

Yup, we can find Corners later Hall and MC2 prove that. Let's get this pass rush going and some speed/instincts are linebacker. 

8 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Yup, we can find Corners later Hall and MC2 prove that. Let's get this pass rush going and some speed/instincts are linebacker. 

I still think Echols is a player.

I think gone are the days where you have a Revis or Ramsey follow the #1 WR.  OCs scheme to get the guy open and DCs scheme for coverage now.  All about the pass rush.  Having Hamilton run all over the field would be great though.  That's our weakness with LB.

Wow...  Tony Pauline's man crush Tyler Smith may end up top 10 if he aced in the combine.  He has played RT exclusively at RT I believe but he is only 20 years old.

Drake London, Kyle Hamilton and Derek Stingley Jr. are said to have good medical report. umm.  All of them can be top 10 but London won't be a Jet anyway.

There are some twitter action about measurements for Senior Bowl players.  You go ahead and check them out.  I will wait for full list coming out.

East-West Shrine Standouts.

Best performers:

S Quentin Lake, UCLA.

WR Charleston Rambo, Miami Fl.

Not far off top performers:

S Russ Yeast, Kansas State.

WR Josh Johnson, Tulsa.

WR Samori Toure, Nebraska.

Mentioned appreciatively somewhere:

DT Thomas Booker, Stanford.

RB Isaiah Pacheco, Rutgers.

TE Nick Muse, South Carolina.