2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

Good discussion on the McAfee Show today with Kirk Herbstreit, talking about Sam Howell and Brock Purdy and the way teams are able to find smart, gritty competitors in the mid rounds at a much lower investment risk than a 1st round pick who you're essentially handcuffed to for 2-3 years.

I like the idea of going for a guy like Cameron Ward or Quinn Ewers in round 3 and letting him sit behind Rodgers/compete with Zach and/or a vet for backup duties.

30 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Good discussion on the McAfee Show today with Kirk Herbstreit, talking about Sam Howell and Brock Purdy and the way teams are able to find smart, gritty competitors in the mid rounds at a much lower investment risk than a 1st round pick who you're essentially handcuffed to for 2-3 years.

I like the idea of going for a guy like Cameron Ward or Quinn Ewers in round 3 and letting him sit behind Rodgers/compete with Zach and/or a vet for backup duties.

Don’t know anything about any QBs yet but I am strongly on board with drafting and SITTING a mid round QB instead of having a top 5 pick “save us.”

I do like Jefferson but many said he’s probably a 1-2 round pick. 

5 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Don’t know anything about any QBs yet but I am strongly on board with drafting and SITTING a mid round QB instead of having a top 5 pick “save us.”

Lots of intriguing options especially in the Pac 12. I'd be watching a ton of Pac 12 football if I was a fan of a team in need of a QB this offseason.

Caleb Williams, Michael Penix Jr., Bo Nix, Shedeur Sanders, and Cameron Ward just to name a few Pac 12 guys (a lot of these guys have a TON of experience too which is gonna be big for me for the next QB).

I also have some amount of optimism for Quinn Ewers, Jayden Daniels, and Jordan Travis.

Don't like Riley Leonard at all, I think he's a complete fraud.

14 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Right now, I would say there is a strong group for 2nd round this time. Any one falls into 3rd would be great.

Just wonder if Blake Fisher can play LT when given a chance. Those LT may be out of Jets' reach unless Jets finish the season as top 7 worst team.

Olu Fashanu

Joe Alt

Kingsley Suamataia (cousin of Sewell siblings)

Next things are

Graham Barton (issue is he may be not ideal for ZBS)

Amarcius Mims (UGA OL?  yuck!)

JC Latham (I heard he has been subpar for his standard, whatever it is)

Blake Fisher (RT thanks to top prospect)

As for the rest of the class, I have to wait for better time to recognize something.

10 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Good mid-round QBs are possible but the hit rate on mid and late round QBs is super low that it's tough for it to be a viable strategy. Our own forays into 3-7th round QBs have all sucked.

16 hours ago, jetjuice said:

I think there's a better chance Ewers winds up being a top 15 pick than a 3rd rounder. 

As of now, I think we're going to either go IOL or WR early in the draft. They're not giving Hardman snaps and Cobb is 33. Lazard is solid. I don't think we're going to spend money there. IOL is based on how bad Tomlinson is and McGovern's contract ending. 

I'm still watching QBs in the top 4 rounds until Wilson has a good season. 

27 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

As of now, I think we're going to either go IOL or WR early in the draft. They're not giving Hardman snaps and Cobb is 33. Lazard is solid. I don't think we're going to spend money there. IOL is based on how bad Tomlinson is and McGovern's contract ending. 

I'm still watching QBs in the top 4 rounds until Wilson has a good season. 

I frequently had Jets took RB Will Shipley and WR Malachi Corley in a draft simulator period.  I use this year's performance to make a case for 2024 in case if Rodgers doesn't play.  Cobb, Cook and Hardman would be useful if Rodgers still played.  Jets use the depth of offense poorly so why waste $$$ just to suffer the repeat.

I think Tomlinson will finish his contract with Jets.   As for C, I am thinking Jackson Powers-Johnson as day 3 pick if his value holds that way. I don't want to draft C that high.  I still hope for LT of the franchise in 1st round or 2nd round(if trade down).

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I frequently had Jets took RB Will Shipley and WR Malachi Corley in a draft simulator period.  I use this year's performance to make a case for 2024 in case if Rodgers doesn't play.  Cobb, Cook and Hardman would be useful if Rodgers still played.  Jets use the depth of offense poorly so why waste $$$ just to suffer the repeat.

I think Tomlinson will finish his contract with Jets.   As for C, I am thinking Jackson Powers-Johnson as day 3 pick if his value holds that way. I don't want to draft C that high.  I still hope for LT of the franchise in 1st round or 2nd round(if trade down).

I agree about Hardman, Cook, and Cobb if Rodgers was still playing, but they're not giving Hardman snaps. It's not a target issue, they're not putting him on the field. I can't expect that to magically change next season if it doesn't change this year. I'm not blaming Hardman, it's coaching.  We still don't know how good Lazard is as a #2 WR. 

I think adding a WR like Coleman, Egbuka, Odunze, or Legette could take this offense to another level next year if we handle the Oline situation. 

I'm waiting for the IOL to pan out but that's a trade-back situation. I think Becton will do fine as he regains his comfort at LT. Coaches seem to really like AVT at RT. AVT gives us flexibility because we can move him based on the best player we can add to our oline. If it's IOL, AVT can stay outside. If it's OT, we can kick AVT back inside. Him and Becton are probably the most important players to watch this season. 

On 10/7/2023 at 12:29 PM, rickyt31 said:

I agree about Hardman, Cook, and Cobb if Rodgers was still playing, but they're not giving Hardman snaps. It's not a target issue, they're not putting him on the field. I can't expect that to magically change next season if it doesn't change this year. I'm not blaming Hardman, it's coaching.  We still don't know how good Lazard is as a #2 WR. 

I think adding a WR like Coleman, Egbuka, Odunze, or Legette could take this offense to another level next year if we handle the Oline situation. 

I'm waiting for the IOL to pan out but that's a trade-back situation. I think Becton will do fine as he regains his comfort at LT. Coaches seem to really like AVT at RT. AVT gives us flexibility because we can move him based on the best player we can add to our oline. If it's IOL, AVT can stay outside. If it's OT, we can kick AVT back inside. Him and Becton are probably the most important players to watch this season. 

Even without Hardman against Broncos, Conklin somewhat led the team in receiving part. lol.