Adam Vinatieri vs Julian Edelman

Tk3

Adam Vinatieri vs Julian Edelman  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who was more valuable to their respective Patriot Super Bowl wins?

• Adam Vinatieri
    • Julian Edelman

With both of these guys retiring, and the debacle of the other Edelman comparison - I think it's worth asking.. which of these players was more vital to their respective Patriot Super Bowls?

Without Adam Vinatieri making that FG in the snow in the "Tuck Game", let alone the one in the Super Bowl vs. the Rams, let alone the one vs. the Panthers, I'm not sure you could say definitively what would have happened there.

Everyone remembers the "tuck rule", but Adam V. drilling that in the snow was unreal.

Edelman. People don't realize Vinatieri missed multiple crucial FGs during those runs. He wasn't as automatic in those games as many make him out to be. Don't get me wrong, he's still clutch as heck but I think slightly overrated (during his Patriots tenure, at least).

On 5/29/2021 at 1:57 PM, PatriotsWin! said:

Edelman. People don't realize Vinatieri missed multiple crucial FGs during those runs. He wasn't as automatic in those games as many make him out to be. Don't get me wrong, he's still clutch as heck but I think slightly overrated (during his Patriots tenure, at least).

Yup. Vinatieri was ABSOLUTELY vital to the 2001 SB. The Tuck Rule game and the game winner. However, while he got the game winner in 38 vs the Panthers, he actually missed 2 of his 3 kicks and Brady basically had to carry the team that day. Then in 2004 he was not nearly as important. 

Edelman got the game winner in 49 and that season broke out as Brady's top WR. He got the most important catch in 51 that got them a big chunk play that they needed late when they were trying to tie the game up. Then in 53 he basically was the only offensive player worth anything that day and got the Pats just enough juice to win it all. He also absolutely went off on the Chiefs two weeks earlier when that became a shootout.

After 2001, the most impressive playoff run Vinatieri had was actually with the 06 Colts run where he single handidly got them over the Ravens.