AJ Green

Blaize4488

It's no secret the Bears need a WR. If the bears win next week they will be sitting at 4-4 at the bye. Does pace believe in this teams ability to compete for the playoffs down the stretch? If he does, why not go out and get the franchise QB a #1 target? Enter AJ Green, signed through 2020 at 15 mil per year. Cap space isn't an issue moving forward and that deal comes off  the books when it's time to sign some guys. At 29, he isn't young, but his game should age decently even if he has to re-invent himself a la Brandon Marshall. The Bengals sit at 2-4, 3 games behind the Steelers. They are a team likely headed for a rebuild and a new coach. Not sure what the compensation would be, but I think it's worth exploring. Get your franchise a proven weapon!

38 minutes ago, Blaize4488 said:

It's no secret the Bears need a WR. If the bears win next week they will be sitting at 4-4 at the bye. Does pace believe in this teams ability to compete for the playoffs down the stretch? If he does, why not go out and get the franchise QB a #1 target? Enter AJ Green, signed through 2020 at 15 mil per year. Cap space isn't an issue moving forward and that deal comes off  the books when it's time to sign some guys. At 29, he isn't young, but his game should age decently even if he has to re-invent himself a la Brandon Marshall. The Bengals sit at 2-4, 3 games behind the Steelers. They are a team likely headed for a rebuild and a new coach. Not sure what the compensation would be, but I think it's worth exploring. Get your franchise a proven weapon!

For the right price I would absolutely go for him. But it would be hard to do. Green is an icon in CIN, he's like Watt in Houston or Miller in DEN.

Not sure I'd throw a first out since we are likely a high pick, maybe if we could work out an extension or something, but now way I could go above a 2nd with only 2 years left after this season. He is really only signed through 2019, and a FA in 2020.

Green - Meredith - Wright  and Shaheen sounds pretty solid to throw out there in a starting lineup.

Oh, and D Thompson was cut by us only to go to BUF and get a 100 yard game. Ugh. Would have been a solid #4 with a REAL offense while either McBride, Gentry, or 2018 rookie developed.

52 minutes ago, Blaize4488 said:

As are we...I see no reason for the Bengals to give him up or indeed for him to want to come here...we need to develop our own stars.

11 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

As are we...I see no reason for the Bengals to give him up or indeed for him to want to come here...we need to develop our own stars.

They want a young QB with more upside, and figure between the two of our firsts they'll have the ammo to trade to get the 2nd overall. New coach might not want to tie himself to the Red Rocket. lol

5 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

They want a young QB with more upside, and figure between the two of our firsts they'll have the ammo to trade to get the 2nd overall. New coach might not want to tie himself to the Red Rocket. lol

Possibly but I just don't see how losing Green makes them a better team.

Since we are doing hypotheticals.  Martavious Bryant situation is Pittsburg is going sideways fast.  He called in sick today and missed team meetings after going after fans on twitter due to another poor performance.  Do you offer a late round pick to a guy who is going to be a FA at the end of the year?

1 hour ago, Rogerthat said:

Since we are doing hypotheticals.  Martavious Bryant situation is Pittsburg is going sideways fast.  He called in sick today and missed team meetings after going after fans on twitter due to another poor performance.  Do you offer a late round pick to a guy who is going to be a FA at the end of the year?

I’d offer a 5th or 6th.

6 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

Fun hypothetical on the forum but no.  He is too old.   

It's not likely but the Bengals would be smart to at least explore if they get too far out of it.

On Bryant, can't see pace doing it after he rid  himself of me-first guys like Marshall and Bennett. Plus, the weed problems. If I were GM, I'd take a chance with a late rounder. 

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

I’d offer a 5th or 6th.

As would I. Base it on a 6th, if he signs an extension in can become a 5th. Throw in some unrealistic goal where it could then move to a 4th based on performance (while still requiring hi to be re-signed). Something like average 5 catches per game for the remainder of the season and get 6 TDs over the remainder.

Full disclaimer for the newer guys: I hate free agency. Free agency is a period of days where the fans overhype aging players who will be grossly overpaid. Most of the top guys re-sign anyway.

If we have to speak purely hypothetically, should he hit free agency, I think Sammy Watkins profiles as a guy Pace would go for. Young, coming off of his rookie deal, very talented, but never lived up to his ability.

Side note here, and I’ll be rambling: I have to wonder what the Bears can really accomplish at wide receiver given the Soldier Field playing surface. It has gotten noticeably better in recent years, but still, imagine somebody like Odell Beckham or Antonio Brown trying to play at least ten games per season on it.

11 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Full disclaimer for the newer guys: I hate free agency. Free agency is a period of days where the fans overhype aging players who will be grossly overpaid. Most of the top guys re-sign anyway.

If we have to speak purely hypothetically, should he hit free agency, I think Sammy Watkins profiles as a guy Pace would go for. Young, coming off of his rookie deal, very talented, but never lived up to his ability.

Side note here, and I’ll be rambling: I have to wonder what the Bears can really accomplish at wide receiver given the Soldier Field playing surface. It has gotten noticeably better in recent years, but still, imagine somebody like Odell Beckham or Antonio Brown trying to play at least ten games per season on it.

OH.  I just figured out who you are.. it's (Iron) Mike McCarthy!

Archived