LaMelo Ball Wins NBA Rookie Of The Year Award

NYRaider

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It was a joke. LaMelo will be good, transcendent, elite player good? I'm not sure but he's definitely better than Lonzo. He's like Lonzo if he played with the confidence of Jordan Clarkson. Still sad that Lavar essentially ruined Lonzo but that definitely helped LaMelo. 

Who ever said that LaMelo would be transcendent?  That was Lonzo.  And the hype machine of his father.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Who ever said that LaMelo would be transcendent?  That was Lonzo.  And the hype machine of his father.

ESPN had him #2 on their top 25 players under 25, IIRC. And I think Lonzo going to LA with all of the hype from his father, his shoe deal, etc. ruined his mentality, he plays scared. LaMelo plays like it's a pickup game at LA Fitness. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

ESPN had him #2 on their top 25 players under 25, IIRC. And I think Lonzo going to LA with all of the hype from his father, his shoe deal, etc. ruined his mentality, he plays scared. LaMelo plays like it's a pickup game at LA Fitness. 

Lonzo wasn't a bad player, he just thought higher on his jump shot then he actually was.  Specifically his mid-range game.  He was really good finisher at the rim, but he never really tried to drive to the paint.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Lonzo wasn't a bad player, he just thought higher on his jump shot then he actually was.  Specifically his mid-range game.  He was really good finisher at the rim, but he never really tried to drive to the paint.

Yeah Lonzo still isn't a bad player but he's like a Ricky Rubio when people were hyping him up as a potential superstar. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Lol Herbert having the season he did as a rookie QB is more impressive than Jefferson. Jefferson had a great year but he didn’t get robbed of anything. 

Yeah I mean Herbert threw for what? 4,300 yards and 31 TD, he definitely deserved to be ROY. 

4 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

This is the year that guys get screwed out of awards. Ball missed 20 games meanwhile Edwards played every game and put up a 19/5/3 stat line. There’s no justification for this one. NONE. 

Maybe if Edwards wasn't **** for 30 games and didn't shoot like crap he might have won.

Maybe. 

1 minute ago, Supersuavesky said:

Maybe if Edwards wasn't **** for 30 games and didn't shoot like crap he might have won.

Maybe. 

Despite Edwards crap shooting to start the year his shooting splits were only a shade under LaMelo's overall.

Post ASB:

LaMelo (16 games): 15.6 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 5.8 apg on 41% FG, 29% 3FG, 68% FT

Edwards (36 games): 23.8 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 3.4 apg on 45% FG, 35% 3FG, 76% FT

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Despite Edwards crap shooting to start the year his shooting splits were only a shade under LaMelo's overall.

Post ASB:

LaMelo (16 games): 15.6 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 5.8 apg on 41% FG, 29% 3FG, 68% FT

Edwards (36 games): 23.8 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 3.4 apg on 45% FG, 35% 3FG, 76% FT

Yes, under LaMelo's overall.

That's with LaMelo coming off a wrist injury where he couldn't bend his wrist back properly.

Think about that; He could barely move it at times and still shot nearly as well.

Ball was the superior player. Period. 

1 minute ago, Supersuavesky said:

Ball is the better player. That's it.

Edwards had one of the higher usage rates and number of attempts post ASB. Of course he put in points.

Edwards usage rate was only slightly higher than Ball's though. Edwards was much more efficient scoring/shooting post ASB. It's like comparing apples to oranges though, they're different players. But I'd agree LaMelo is a better player because he impacts the game in every area while Edwards is purely just a scorer. 

LaMelo Ball deserved this award and there's little other than total games played that would lead one to select Edwards over him.

If people want to break it down and look at smaller portions of the season like post ASG, let's break it down further and look at Ball's stats as a starter

LaMelo Ball starter stats this regular season:

31 Games started

18.1 PPG  5.9 RPG   6.2 APG   1.7 SPG  .4 BPG   3.1 TOV     Shot 43.8% on 14.9 FGA   37.9% on 5.6 3PA   75.9% on 3.7FTA   +/-55

Anthony Edwards starter stats this regular season:

55 Games started

21.3 PPG 5.2 RPG   3.3 APG   1.3 SPG   .6 BPG  2.3 TOV    Shot 43.1% on 17.9 FGA  33.4% on 7.8 3PA  76.9% on 4.3 FTA    +/- 156

LaMelo Ball was the better player and his stats are better almost across the board.  If he took as many shots as Edwards instead of looking to distribute so much his end of season PPG would have eclipsed Edwards as well.   If we dug deeper into the advanced stats you'd see he finished ahead in most of those categories as well.     In fact, prior to his wrist injury they were entirely better across the board:

LaMelo Ball to Remain as Hornets Starter After Record-Setting First Half of Season

• LaMelo Ball is the first rookie in 60 years to lead all freshmen in points, rebounds, assists, and steals at the All-Star break.
  • Ball is averaging a stat line of 20-6-6 since he was named as a starter 15 games ago.

Additionally,  I think the impact on team success has to be factored in as well.    Prior to Ball's injury (and Hayward's, and Monk's, and Graham's, and Bridges' covid) the Hornets team was sitting as the 4th seed in the East and on a roll.    I understand comparing the Eastern vs Western conferences is a non-starter but the Wolves were still not a threat all season long, while the Hornets were relevant until their ignominious thrashing by the Pacers.    Looking at head-to-head too:  Hornets beat the Wolves 135-102 and 120-114 and Ball unquestionably outplayed Edwards in both games.

• Like 2

I was extremely hesitant about the team taking Ball.   I would have taken Edwards, Wiseman, Haliburton over him during the draft (and admittedly was waffling on Avdija as a preference too).    Like most everyone else, the Lavar Ball factor had me seriously doubting his talent and desire and his huge social media following had me doubting his priorities.    I was worried about him being a cancer and me-first personality on a team that takes pride in their team unity.  He completely won me over during the season.  Not only was his talent and impact easy to see, his work ethic has to be unquestioned and his joy for the game is just infectious.       

He's a complete gym rat, even heading to the gym late at night on his first day in Charlotte (the day after the draft).  By all accounts he had a great relationship with his teammates.    He also could have ended his season early after the wrist injury and protected his value in future seasons, but he accelerated his rehab and actually came back earlier than anyone thought he would, despite still being in obvious discomfort.    It's 1 yr so I'm not going overboard, he's going to have an inconsistent first couple seasons, but he's converted me from a big skeptic into a believer.  I'm not sure his shooting percentages remain as high as they were this year, think he may be in line for a regression, but I don't have any doubts he's an absolute franchise cornerstone