2022 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

With the draft days away, the signals are pointing stronger and stronger at Duke’s Paolo Banchero being selected by the Rockets, should he be on the board at No. 3, sources told The Athletic. On a related note, while Gonzaga’s Chet Holmgren is expected by some to be taken at No. 2 by the Oklahoma City Thunder, it’s no absolute guarantee. There have been whispers of interest in Purdue’s Jaden Ivey — with a number of teams highly intrigued in the electric guard, including the Indiana Pacers — and Thunder general manager Sam Presti is notorious for making unpredictable draft decisions.

If the Thunder go Ivey at #2 and Houston takes Banchero #3, I'd guess the Kings take Chet at #4. @Fureys49ers

Edited by NYRaider

The Sacramento Kings — owners of the No. 4 pick — are high on Keegan Murray and even arranged for the prospect to have dinner with team stars De’Aaron Fox and Domantas Sabonis, league sources told Yahoo Sports. If Murray does slip outside of the top five, sources said he likely wouldn’t make it past Portland at No. 7

.Chet might fall into the Pistons lap at #5. @Sllim Pickens

Edited by NYRaider

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If the Thunder go Ivey at #2 and Houston takes Banchero #3, I'd guess the Kings take Chet at #4. @Fureys49ers

Chet at 4 would a gift to the Kings organization. Bust or game changing 5 the Kings can’t get mocked by anyone over taking him at 4 haha. If they trade for Collins prior to the draft then, just to have Chet fall to 4 they might find themselves in a pickle. Although suitors would not be lacking if the Kings trade the pick whether it was Chet or Jaden.

The Collins noise, along with interest in Murray and Chet possibly slipping has me concerned with the Kings game plan here.

Edited by Fureys49ers

Just now, Fureys49ers said:

Chet at 4 would a gift to the Kings organization. Bust or game changing 5 the Kings can’t get mocked by anyone over taking him at 4 haha. If they trade for Collins prior to the draft then, just to have Chet fall to 4 they might find themselves in a pickle. Although suitors would not be lacking if the Kings trade the pick whether it was Chet or Jaden.

The Kings reportedly love Murray and just had him go out to dinner with Fox and Sabonis. The reports about Chet refusing to give teams his medicals and choosing not to take the heart examination at the combine might have scared some teams off. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

The Kings reportedly love Murray and just had him go out to dinner with Fox and Sabonis. The reports about Chet refusing to give teams his medicals and choosing not to take the heart examination at the combine might have scared some teams off. 

So how confident are we Murray can play the 3 if Collins is acquired. Cause I feel like Murray and Sabonis at the 4 and 5 is the best way to use those two. Collins, if any of that noise is true, forces Murray to get most of his minutes at 3.

1 minute ago, Fureys49ers said:

So how confident are we Murray can play the 3 if Collins is acquired. Cause I feel like Murray and Sabonis at the 4 and 5 is the best way to use those two. Collins, if any of that noise is true, forces Murray to get most of his minutes at 3.

I'd guess that the Kings wait to make a trade until after they've made their pick, if they land Murray I don't see them making a move for Collins. But I think Murray could probably play the 3 in that lineup because Sabonis, Mitchell, and Fox are all good playmakers so the Kings wouldn't really need him to create. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I'd guess that the Kings wait to make a trade until after they've made their pick, if they land Murray I don't see them making a move for Collins. But I think Murray could probably play the 3 in that lineup because Sabonis, Mitchell, and Fox are all good playmakers so the Kings wouldn't really need him to create. 

For sure, that’s part of the reason Ive felt comfortable taking Murray at 4 for a while now. Good all around player with a little flexibility to play both 3 and 4 in my mind. Most importantly having the players you mentioned would allow Murray to play in position, knock down shots and play defense which he can do very well. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I won't even pretend to get my hopes up for that.  I don't see any way that happens.  

The Magic seem to be zero'd in on Jabari, the Thunder are apparently considering Ivey at two, the Rockets prefer Paolo at three, and the Kings reportedly love Murray at four. 

The Thunder played it safe last year going with Josh Giddey over Jonathan Kuminga. Going with Ivey at two would give them another perimeter scorer with juice and they could land a center at 12 with someone like Duren or Williams. I think the difference between Ivey and whoever they'd land at 12 is bigger than the difference between Chet and Williams. 

I think the fact that Chet refused to give his medicals and refused to take the heart screening might scare some teams off of him. 

4 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

For sure, that’s part of the reason Ive felt comfortable taking Murray at 4 for a while now. Good all around player with a little flexibility to play both 3 and 4 in my mind. Most importantly having the players you mentioned would allow Murray to play in position, knock down shots and play defense which he can do very well. 

Murray's older but your front office just took Mitchell who was an older prospect in the lottery last year. I don't think his upside is as high as some other guys but he has a higher floor and is arguably the most NBA ready prospect in the class. 

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Magic seem to be zero'd in on Jabari, the Thunder are apparently considering Ivey at two, the Rockets prefer Paolo at three, and the Kings reportedly love Murray at four. 

The Thunder played it safe last year going with Josh Giddey over Jonathan Kuminga. Going with Ivey at two would give them another perimeter scorer with juice and they could land a center at 12 with someone like Duren or Williams. I think the difference between Ivey and whoever they'd land at 12 is bigger than the difference between Chet and Williams. 

I think the fact that Chet refused to give his medicals and refused to take the heart screening might scare some teams off of him. 

I still don't buy it.  I think the not giving medicals was to get to OKC.  And until 4 teams pass on him, I won't believe it a possibility. 

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I still don't buy it.  I think the not giving medicals was to get to OKC.  And until 4 teams pass on him, I won't believe it a possibility. 

The only team that he would've had to withhold medicals from to get to OKC would've been the Magic but reportedly he withheld medicals from multiple teams. From the Thunder's perspective if they take Ivey it's more realistic to expect that they'd be able to move off of Ivey or SGA to trade up for Victor then potentially trading Chet who's honestly just a lesser version of Victor. 

Stefan Bondy: Jaden Ivey in listing his options: “There are situations where I can go to New York.”

James Boyd: #Purdue’s Jaden Ivey on not being in contact with the #Kings: “It’s not a conscious decision. I never really made the decision to not talk with Sacramento. It just kind of happened.”

Jason Anderson: The only teams Jaden Ivey worked out for were the Orlando Magic and Detroit Pistons.

Edited by NYRaider