3rd Quarter Woes Under Fox

IronMike84

35 minutes ago, G08 said:

With a dominating defensive effort and a rookie QB, I can't exactly fault that approach.

I mean, what if he opened it up and the kid threw a couple picks and we wound up losing? That's a much, MUCH uglier story line.

If he threw 2 4th quarter picks it would have been a problem.

"If"

At some point we should stop assuming our QB is going to make catastrophic mistakes every game.

This season is not about winning and losing.

The Bears told all of us this when Mike Glennon started a game, let alone 4 games.

This season is about Trubisky's development. They were willing to flush 4 games, 25% of the season, down the toilet with Mike Glennon for the sole purpose of Trubisky's development.

Hard for me to accept that now all of a sudden it is about winning at all costs. 

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This season is not about winning and losing.

The Bears told all of us this when Mike Glennon started a game, let alone 4 games.

This season is about Trubisky's development. They were willing to flush 4 games, 25% of the season, down the toilet with Mike Glennon for the sole purpose of Trubisky's development.

Hard for me to accept that now all of a sudden it is about winning at all costs. 

I will argue the season is about winning while trying to develop Trubisky.

Can you sincerely say that you'd rather the kid throw 40 times a game, get hit/picked off etc and us go 3-13 over bringing him along slowly and us winning 7-8 games?

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

I will argue the season is about winning while trying to develop Trubisky.

Can you sincerely say that you'd rather the kid throw 40 times a game, get hit/picked off etc and us go 3-13 over bringing him along slowly and us winning 7-8 games?

No, I am not interested in extremes. I am interested in a balanced offense that allows him to take some risks. 20-25 passes a game and some of them not being pathetic little check downs.

I think in the long run that Trubisky taking steps forward will more likely lead to a 7-8 win record than what they are doing now. I doubt the defense can single handedly win 8 games.

They prioritized his development for 4 games that they flushed, now in the last 3 they have prioritized winning, just strange how it flipped.

If this season was really about winning they would have started Trubisky, probably have beaten Atlanta, not melted down against TB and GB, and he would be way further along right now. I get that Trubisky had to play in week 5 or the team would have revolted, but the focus also changed.

I was listening to Bill Polian on Waddle and Silvy the other day and they asked him if Trubisky's development is being stunted with the way John Fox and his staff are handling him. He basically laughed. He said that there is so much Trubisky is learning right now on the field that fans don't think about. Commanding the huddle, getting teammates that are 10+ years older than him to focus and listen to what he's saying, going to the LOS, making MIKE checks and protection adjustments, audibling, and doing all this while staring at 11 men across the line that want to rip his head off.

I mean he's not wrong... I guess selfishly I want to see the kid throw for 300+ yards and 4 TDs at some point

The kid is studying defenses as if he's playing (except he actually is playing) and he's making adjustments for if/when he is getting a look he didn't expect (think Ravens playing 2-deep safeties). They put the governor on him, for sure, but again: think Ravens when Loggains told him in the headset that they needed to be aggressive on that specific play and Trubisky then pulls a rabbit out of his arse and finds Wright for a first down in OT.

I don't love it, but I won't lie seeing the defense kick *** is making me change my tune a bit on Fox/Loggains and this team.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

The kid is studying defenses as if he's playing (except he actually is playing) and he's making adjustments for if/when he is getting a look he didn't expect (think Ravens playing 2-deep safeties). They put the governor on him, for sure, but again: think Ravens when Loggains told him in the headset that they needed to be aggressive on that specific play and Trubisky then pulls a rabbit out of his arse and finds Wright for a first down in OT.

I don't love it, but I won't lie seeing the defense kick *** is making me change my tune a bit on Fox/Loggains and this team.

I do not argue that he is developing, but is his development being maximized?

The defense is a nice development, but I have a better chance of the defense staying the same by keeping Fangio and Donatell, than I do of the offense improving under Fox and Loggains.

45 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not argue that he is developing, but is his development being maximized?

The defense is a nice development, but I have a better chance of the defense staying the same by keeping Fangio and Donatell, than I do of the offense improving under Fox and Loggains.

Through 3 games, it's tough to say.

Hell, a couple weeks ago I was ready to blow the entire thing up, then Trubisky comes in and gives us a bit of a spark and the defense is playing elite (yeah, I said it).

Can they keep that up? Who knows... that's what I love about the football season: it's a soap opera for men o.OxD

Just run a balanced offense. Allow him to take some more risks, your defense can cover them up.

This needs to have value for Trubisky and after 3 games I do not see enough reps for him to be developing at a optimal level.

I am hoping Inman has a positive impact.

4 hours ago, G08 said:

I was listening to Bill Polian on Waddle and Silvy the other day and they asked him if Trubisky's development is being stunted with the way John Fox and his staff are handling him. He basically laughed. He said that there is so much Trubisky is learning right now on the field that fans don't think about. Commanding the huddle, getting teammates that are 10+ years older than him to focus and listen to what he's saying, going to the LOS, making MIKE checks and protection adjustments, audibling, and doing all this while staring at 11 men across the line that want to rip his head off.

I mean he's not wrong... I guess selfishly I want to see the kid throw for 300+ yards and 4 TDs at some point

So Fox and crew are developing an Orton or Tebow and not a Rivers or Rodgers?

Just over-stating it for effect. IF they were protecting him by this approach then I'd be a lot better with it, but he had 11 pass plays and got sacked 4 times. It seems like the worst of both worlds right now.

Just now, 51to54 said:

So Fox and crew are developing an Orton or Tebow and not a Rivers or Rodgers?

Just over-stating it for effect. IF they were protecting him by this approach then I'd be a lot better with it, but he had 11 pass plays and got sacked 4 times. It seems like the worst of both worlds right now.

I'm of the opinion if the defense didn't score two early TDs, Mitch would have doubled his number of pass plays.

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'm of the opinion if the defense didn't score two early TDs, Mitch would have doubled his number of pass plays.

To me that is overly conservative.

Just because you have a lead you do not need to run an offense from the 1930s.

Pass less for sure. But to almost entirely stop passing and only pass when you had to is not the way to develop a passing attack or a QB.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

To me that is overly conservative.

Just because you have a lead you do not need to run an offense from the 1930s.

Pass less for sure. But to almost entirely stop passing and only pass when you had to is not the way to develop a passing attack or a QB.

I've seen Patriots games where they have the lead in the 4th quarter and all they are doing is running the ball.. and that's with arguably the greatest "winner" at the position.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Just run a balanced offense. Allow him to take some more risks, your defense can cover them up.

This needs to have value for Trubisky and after 3 games I do not see enough reps for him to be developing at a optimal level.

I am hoping Inman has a positive impact.

I'm sure that's the plan... but why pass the ball, for no reason, when you're up 14 and trying to bleed clock? That's not smart football, IMO.

Archived