Roster Cuts: The Road to 53

JiffyJag

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Upgrade over what we have in totality? No.

But there are definitely guys with superior pass catch ability/upside which we lack in a big way. JOS is the only guy with that type of ability on the roster.

I think the dilemma with that sort of player, is that their limitations make their "upside" less achievable.  ie. They may have more "pass catching/playmaking ability" in a vacuum.  But if you can't get them on the field in other situations because of shortcomings in other important respects, you're pretty well tipping your hand every time you send them out there to line up.  Which...kind of limits their effectiveness as a serious pass-catching threat.  You're pretty much constraining them to a "3rd down TE" role, for 3rd and certain passing situations.  At which point, that's a tough player to roster, if they're not contributing more regular snaps, or somewhere else in the lineup via significant STs ability.

35 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

No Camp even on the PS, yikes 

I mean...that's the risk, when you draft a WR who isn't even really trained as a receiver i guess.  Was always going to have to be about his ability to make a big ST splash.  I guess that didn't happen?

5 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

We signed Kaare Vedvik K/P to the practice squad.  U might remember him from the time the Vikings traded a 5 for him

I mostly just remember him from being like..."okay, so is the dude a Punter or a Kicker?"  The trade of the pick for him was just icing on the bizarre cake that was that preseason.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 10:13 PM, LinderFournette said:

We signed Kaare Vedvik K/P to the practice squad.  U might remember him from the time the Vikings traded a 5 for him

It will be interesting to see how he does with a head coach who doesn't get into a kicker's head and destroy his confidence.  Mike Zimmer goes through kickers and punters faster than I go through socks.