New Stadium Discussion

DER10N92

I think it's safe to say that a new stadium is coming and that renovations at the ralph will be no more. There is absolutely no way the Pegula's can move the Bills out of Buffalo because it will just crumble this entire city/area and the Pegula's know that and are going to use that to their advantage. I'm not sure how many people here live in the area, but it seems like a new stadium could be going up right near the old one in Orchard Park. We only have 2 years left on our lease but my guess is that the financials end up getting worked out and a new temporary lease is put into place where we keep playing where we are until the new place is built and ready which will take beyond the 2 years we have left.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/19/clock-is-ticking-on-bills-stadium-talks/#comments

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

But where in Orchard park? I feel like where the stadium is now is perfect. My thought was they tear this one down, play somewhere else for a year or two and build the new one right where the current one is.

I’ll be interested to see the exact location.

Pretty sure it's going to be right across the street on abbot road where one of those main tailgating parking lots is.

Sources say PSE’s budget for a downtown site came to around $2.5 billion, with construction taking nearly six years. The Orchard Park project carries a $1.4 billion budget and can be built across Abbott Road within four years.

From Tim Graham story at the Athletic.

I dont see the bills moving, the flex of talking about relocations is simply to have the city, and state put some money in to the stadium. I think the Pegulas saying they want 100% is just talk and that they will come in and the city/state will pay between 200-400 mil while they pay the remaining amount. Just because they are billionaires doesnt mean that the move of paying for a stadium 100% is smart for their investment. People want to say they need to pay for their hobby of owning a team but at the same time this is bringing jobs that not many companies can take on and pay. Having a networth of 4.7 billion, they spent 1.1 billion on the team, and then around $400 mil on Sabres not to mention all the other investments that they paid out of pocket. That is a good amount of money invested in the sports teams we love. Not to mention there are hundreds of jobs that would be gone had they left from concession stand workers, to grounds keepers, to road workers directing traffic etc. Not to mention how many new jobs will come with the construction of this stadium. Pegulas cant afford to move either because they will lose out on a big fanbase which is intertwined with the Sabres which they will not be able to move and the fans will likely rebel on spending a dime by going to a game to watch a mediocre product followed by the same owner who took away the best thing that is in the city area. Overall fanbase throughout the nation would likely abandon the bills too while a new fanbase in a new city will have to be developed. As mentioned Austin as a location, it will be hard to pry fans who have been Dallas fans, may pry some Houston fans but that has to be locally in Austin. To build up the fanbase will take time and money for them so not only will it cost them a huge relocation fee, partial if not an entire bill of a new stadium in that city it is just not financially feasible to make the location to another city that isnt an anchor to the nation like other cities such as NYC, Miami, LA, Chicago, Vegas. Places like Oklahoma City, Austin, etc are not going to get the following as you would in those cities so it will definitely be hard for the pegulas to come away unscathed with a move. Not to mention his history and love for the area since he grew up there

It will be interesting to see the style of stadium they build in Orchard Park wonder if it will be a retractable dome or keep it open like it is now. Dome will allow more things to happen, possibly a NCAA Championship game, a Superbowl, etc. However a dome will take away from the environment that we use to our advantage

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

But where in Orchard park? I feel like where the stadium is now is perfect. My thought was they tear this one down, play somewhere else for a year or two and build the new one right where the current one is.

I’ll be interested to see the exact location.

There was talk about the ECC South campus possibly closing and the stadium would be built there which is across the street

As a Patriots fan with a big soft spot for the Western New York in general and the Buffalo Bills in particular, an AFC East without Buffalo is unthinkable. Billionaire owners holding cities and states hostage never looks good, but I suppose you knew that. 

The Patriots had a similar situation in 1992 and ‘93 when our previous owner planned to move the team to St. Louis. I feel your pain. Thankfully, Bob Kraft bought the team, eventually got a new stadium built in Foxborough, and the Patriots stayed put. 

Here’s hoping for a brand-new open air stadium for the Bills. Good luck. 

2 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

As a Patriots fan with a big soft spot for the Western New York in general and the Buffalo Bills in particular, an AFC East without Buffalo is unthinkable. Billionaire owners holding cities and states hostage never looks good, but I suppose you knew that. 

The Patriots had a similar situation in 1992 and ‘93 when our previous owner planned to move the team to St. Louis. I feel your pain. Thankfully, Bob Kraft bought the team, eventually got a new stadium built in Foxborough, and the Patriots stayed put. 

Here’s hoping for a brand-new open air stadium for the Bills. Good luck. 

I dont see them leaving. Goodell even said the NFL wants them to stay there its just a matter of a new stadium they have played in the current one for 50 years and you can only do so many upgrades over the years until a new one has to be put in place which is where they are at now. The tactics of putting it on the people is simply a move to get some funding from the city and state. Western New York is the red head step child and isnt taken in to consideration for anything the state does and they definitely can use some tax payer dollars to help continue that. As most cities with big stadiums they land some public funding, Dallas got $400 mil, Atlanta got $200, Vegas got $700, Minny got $498 mil for there stadium, this is essentially how things work while the remaining amount will be paid by the owners. I think Pegulas will pay for 2/3 to 3/4 of the bill while the taxpayers will foot the remaining amount. It brings jobs whether it is construction, concession, organization and to the local area so moving would lose alot. Also if you are unaware the people in the surrounding area make a killing on parking each year that is extra income that could essentially be lost if they move.

• Like 1

"Goodell even said the NFL wants them to stay there its just a matter of a new stadium they have played in the current one for 50 years and you can only do so many upgrades over the years until a new one has to be put in place which is where they are at now."

He said the exact same thing to the fans of the St. Louis Rams.