Jaguars extend Telvin Smith - 4yrs, 44.4mil

pwny

Just now, cddolphin said:

2nd-highest guaranteed money for a 4-3 OLB. 3rd in total value.

Most likely that total is just his base salary in 2018 and 2019 that’s guaranteed. So it’s not quite the whole story to call that the second highest, when other signing bonuses create a situation where those two years are effectively guaranteed in excess of the guaranteed money because it’s not viable against the cap to cut during that time.

4 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Most likely that total is just his base salary in 2018 and 2019 that’s guaranteed. So it’s not quite the whole story to call that the second highest, when other signing bonuses create a situation where those two years are effectively guaranteed in excess of the guaranteed money because it’s not viable against the cap to cut during that time.

Well, I don't know where he ranks among 4-3 OLBs in "effectively guaranteed" money. I haven't seen the exact contract structure released yet. But in terms of bottom-line money that is guaranteed, he is 2nd behind Jamie Collins and ahead of Dont'a Hightower.

23 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Well, I don't know where he ranks among 4-3 OLBs in "effectively guaranteed" money. I haven't seen the exact contract structure released yet. But in terms of bottom-line money that is guaranteed, he is 2nd behind Jamie Collins and ahead of Dont'a Hightower.

Right where he should be honestly. Plus, with guys getting new contracts and the cap going up, it just looks better and better, imo. Telvin has most definitely played like an elite, top end 4-3 OLB these past couple years. Has stepped up even more this year.

16 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Actually - looking at Collins’ contract, they’re kinda structures the way it looks like Telvin’s is.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/jamie-collins-12333/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/donta-hightower-9835/

Collins has 26.4M guaranteed, but he’s effectively guaranteed 29.5M

Hightower has 17M guaranteed, but he’s effectively guaranteed 24.5M.

Comparatively, to explain what I mean with guarantees not being a proper way to look at contracts, Flacco’s contract has guarantees worth $44M, but the structure effectively guarantees him $88.5M because there’s no financially viable way to get rid of that contract before paying that much (sans a restructure).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/joe-flacco-4000/

The way people look at guaranteed money, you look at those contracts and see Flacco getting twice as much as a OLB, and (assuming you think Flacco is a good QB - which I know isn’t the case for many), that sounds ridiculous to give an OLB that much. But the contract itself really gives the LB 1/3 the money should the teams decide to move on, and that comes off much more reasonable.

This is a great deal for the Jaguars, especially with the terrible contract that Ogletree just signed. It's still a joke that he lasted until the 5th round, he was clearly a talented player coming out of college. The NFL really sucks at evaluating linebackers. I was really hoping he would hit the open market so the Lions would have a chance to sign him, but at least with him signing early this will help keep the LB market down.

2 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

This is a great deal for the Jaguars, especially with the terrible contract that Ogletree just signed. It's still a joke that he lasted until the 5th round, he was clearly a talented player coming out of college. The NFL really sucks at evaluating linebackers. I was really hoping he would hit the open market so the Lions would have a chance to sign him, but at least with him signing early this will help keep the LB market down.

But he’s too small and needs to play Safety. That’s what I was told when I said he was a first round WLB.

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

But he’s too small and needs to play Safety. That’s what I was told when I said he was a first round WLB.

Pretty sure the only people who actually thought that were the wanna be scouts/GM's. Think the failed drug test had something to do with it too.

Just now, iPwn said:

[insert joke about being obsessed with a man's size]

there definitely were some people on here that thought he should've have gone in the 1st. I had a top ~15 grade on him and would have comfortably taken him in the mid-late 1st. Jags definitely got a little lucky to grab him so late in the draft, and it was all because he weighed 220 and not 230

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Pretty sure the only people who actually thought that were the wanna be scouts/GM's.

It was bigger than that. Telvin was actually asked about it in the scouting process and responded with “why would you take a tiger out of the jungle?”

Archived