Who do you think is going to be the first QB who is benched this year?

CP3MVP

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Because a competent starting QB is not where you want to be long term. Especially if that dude can't stay healthy. FF mocks teams for sticking with guys like carr and paying for cousins. The niners went full on FF. Whether it works we will see

A long term play like moving that capital for Lance for long term success doesn't necessarily correlate to who should play for short term success. You have to know that. 

Lynch and Shanahan have 1 winning season in 4 years. The 49ers are in the toughest division in football, if things don't shake their way this year how much longer are those 2 even around? They're looking out for the next regime? 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Lynch and Shanahan have 1 winning season in 4 years. 

Probably why they are playing the QB who they believe gives them the best chance at winning this year. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The 49ers are in the toughest division in football, if things don't shake their way this year how much longer are those 2 even around? They're looking out for the next regime? 

They just signed five and six year extensions. Jed loves them. They aren't going anywhere. They are around through at least 2023

Just now, Forge said:

They just signed five and six year extensions. Jed loves them. They aren't going anywhere. They are around through at least 2023

How many coaches/GMs get 4 losing seasons in 5 years and are viewed as a great brain trust? Weirdest thing about the 49ers tbh, team has been mediocre under Shanahan outside of 1 season yet he is viewed as a coaching prodigy. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

How many coaches/GMs get 4 losing seasons in 5 years and are viewed as a great brain trust? Weirdest thing about the 49ers tbh, team has been mediocre under Shanahan outside of 1 season yet he is viewed as a coaching prodigy. 

Can't comment on his rep. I think he's a better offensive mind than coach. I think people conflate the two. I'll give Lynch a pass because he basically works for shanny and doesn't have full say so I don't know what he's responsible for. 

But they are under no real pressure. The team was basically an expansion team when they took over

53 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I guess they trust the process down there in San Jose.

I mean, I don't know why they wouldn't.  They basically took the second worst team in the league over the prior two years (browns maybe worse) and got them to the super bowl in year three of a rebuild. Teams hope and pray for a rebuild to go that well.  Then they had a year where they were considered a favorite derailed by one of the worst injury seasons you can have and that's it. I don't know if I'm all in on the job they've done, but there's not enough for me to put them on the hot seat either. 

I don't know what your expectations are. How fast were they supposed to turn the team around? Year one? Year two? Were they supposed to be contenders by 2018?  They were on their 4th coach in 4 years in 2017 and basically had one premier player in Buckner. How good were they supposed to be in those first two? You're treating those years like a failure because they were bad. It wouldn't have mattered who was there. They were always going to be bad. They had no talent. Doesn't mean they get a pass on bad choices (yikes solly Thomas), but they get credit for the good ones too

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Trey Lance is mobile and can generate offense with his legs. Elijah Mitchell had a good game against one of the worst teams in the NFL but is that sustainable? The 49ers going from Jimmy to Lance is like when they went from Smith to Kapernick, it's a completely different offense. 

You're asking if Shanahan/Bobby Turner and their Alex Gibbs philosophical run factory can't churn out a productive-enough runner so Trey Lance will have to start by proxy? :)

3 hours ago, fluhartz said:

Probably Dalton, but I hope he starts this week 

and then the Fields era starts.. 

Was thinking Dalton too but personally didn’t like the way Justin Fields conducted himself on the sideline. He was showing way too much emotion on his face like he’s been there and done that you’re a rookie kid shut the hell up keep a low profile and earn your stripes. 

When you look all heated like that it shows up Dalton who you can still learn from and shows up your coach who is thinking about your best interests long term.

Just think Fields will ultimately bust. Kid is too soft for the big boy league IMO

Edited by Kirill

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

You're asking if Shanahan/Bobby Turner and their Alex Gibbs philosophical run factory can't churn out a productive-enough runner so Trey Lance will have to start by proxy? :)

21st, 13th, 2nd, and 15th best rushing offense with the 20th, 21st, 2nd, and 21st scoring offense. Kyle Shanahan is an offensive guru if there ever was one. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I mean, I don't know why they wouldn't.  They basically took the second worst team in the league over the prior two years (browns maybe worse) and got them to the super bowl in year three of a rebuild. Teams hope and pray for a rebuild to go that well.  Then they had a year where they were considered a favorite derailed by one of the worst injury seasons you can have and that's it. I don't know if I'm all in on the job they've done, but there's not enough for me to put them on the hot seat either. 

I don't know what your expectations are. How fast were they supposed to turn the team around? Year one? Year two? Were they supposed to be contenders by 2018?  They were on their 4th coach in 4 years in 2017 and basically had one premier player in Buckner. How good were they supposed to be in those first two? You're treating those years like a failure because they were bad. It wouldn't have mattered who was there. They were always going to be bad. They had no talent. Doesn't mean they get a pass on bad choices (yikes solly Thomas), but they get credit for the good ones too

The Super Bowl season looks like an outlier at this point. The team had an extremely soft schedule while Jimmy G stayed healthy for the only year of his career. Typically when teams only have 1 winning season in 4 years the coach/gm are on the hot seat, not getting lengthy extensions. The team looked pretty good against Detroit but they're preparing for a brutal 8 game stretch at Philly, vs Green Bay, vs Seattle, at Arizona, vs Indy, at Chicago, vs Arizona, vs LAR. The coaching staff wasn't even ready to name Jimmy G the starter publicly until a few days before their first game. If the team starts to lose games there will be an immense amount of pressure on the team to start Lance. 

In games against decent/good teams (non-losing records) over the last 3 seasons...

Jimmy G (11 games): 2,383 yards (62%), 11 TD, 10 INT 

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

Was thinking Dalton too but personally didn’t like the way Justin Fields conducted himself on the sideline. He was showing way too much emotion on his face like he’s been there and done that you’re a rookie kid shut the hell up keep a low profile and earn your stripes. 

Andy Dalton has been an average QB at best throughout his career and Nagny/Pace's jobs are on the line this season. The team didn't trade up to #11 in order to draft Fields for him to stand on the sideline all year. The Bears offense was stagnant week 1 and they got blown out on SNF.