Week 8 GDT: Raiders (3-4) @ Buffalo (4-2)

Trentwannabe

Its Friday and no GDT yet, so I figured I'd do another one. Hope that's okay!

Image result for funny logo raidersvs Image result for tough buffalo

Quick Stats:

The Raiders are ranked 23rd against the pass.
The Bills are ranked 29th in passing.
Raiders WR Amari Cooper had his first 200+ yard game last week.
Bills S Micah Hyde is tied for first in INT (4) this season. He dropped one last weekend.

Fun Facts:

Current Bills Tawain Jones, Lorenzo Alexander and Andre Holmes are former Raiders.|
Former Bills RB Marshawn Lynch will not play due to a 1 game suspension.
Derek Carr is 2-0 against Buffalo. 
The Bills are undefeted at home this season (3-0) and have out scored opponents 77-55.
The home team has won the last 6 of 7 meetings.

5 Previous Games:

2016: Buffalo 24 @ Oakland 38
2014: Buffalo 24 @ Oakland 26
2011: Oakland 35 @ Buffalo 38
2008: Oakland 23 @ Buffalo 24
2005: Buffalo 17 @ Oakland 38

Analysis:

Both teams are coming off close wins that helped save their season, or at least have it going in the right direction right now. The Raiders would have been all but done had they lost to KC at home last Thursday Night. However, after several chances at the end of the game, Carr finally hit Crabtree in the front corner of the endzone for the game winning score. The Bills overcame a 4th quarter deficit and for the first time ever Tyrod and the Bills won a game when he through for over 260 yards. 

The Raiders defense has not played well but the addition of Navarro Bowman has already paid dividends and their defense moving forward could be tough to beat. However, the Raiders may be missing starting S Karl Joseph and CB David Amerson who as of this post, have not practiced this week. If the Raiders are thin on the back end, Buffalo should look to take advantage with O'Leary and Thompson down the seam and sideline. On offense the Raiders are clicking in the pass game. Cooper did not just break out last week, he took over the game and completely dominated. Carr is on the best QB's in the league and if Buffalo doesn't get pressure, he'll exploit their LB's and injured secondary all day, despite the weather.

On defense for Buffalo, as mentioned above, the secondary is ailing. Poyer is considered day-to-day and EJ Gaines has already been ruled out. That means Shareece Wright is starting...The Bills need to get after the quaterback if they have any hope of shutting down the passing game. Hughes and Lawson have been quiet the last few weeks so it would be prudent to get them going this Sunday. This is the type of game where Tyrod can really take over. We saw last week what happens when he runs and teams play man against him. I would think Dennison has implement some designed runs to get him in space. McCoy had a nice day against Tampa and should look to continue that this week against the Raider D. Mathews, Zay Jones and Deonte Thompson won't scare a whole lot of defenders, but if Oakland wants to play them one on one, I think we'll take advantage much like we did last week.

This game is for all the marbles really. A Raiders loss will all but push them out of the playoff hunt as they'd have 5 losses and 4 of them within the conference. A Buffalo loss would have all of us believing (and rightfully so) that we're the same ole Bills this season. The weather on Sunday calls for rain and to be cold. With the Raiders travelling East and the Bills getting their running game back on track, I expect a sluggish bar fight right to the end. Raiders will get their big plays on O but they'll turn it over twice. Tyrod will use his legs and McCoy would go for 120 yards. Hauschka does what he does best and converts 4 field goals. Oakland 21, Buffalo 23.

27-20 Buffalo.

Shady and Tyrod have a big day. Our defense lets up a good amount of passing yards but Oakland has no running game so I think our pass D can hold in the red zone; plus the weather being in the 40's I think gives us a big advantage at home (3-0 on the season).

Would be a yuggggge win for the Bills. We would get to 5-2 with the Jets up next on Thursday night football.

:ph34r:

In the Bucs game day thread, I posted the following regarding this game:

"Carr will throw the ball ~15 times more than we saw this week. It's possible we could seriously give up 450 yards through the air unless we can get some INT's. Obviously, we are not built to get into a shootout. Here's what I'm seeing we need to do stats-wise to win:

1st - For every time we turn the ball over, we must force twice that amount from the Raiders...period. Realistically, our best chance to win is with 0 or 1 turnover, because getting 2 from them is a very legit possibility.

2nd - We must hold the Raiders to no more than 75 yds rushing AND 315 yds passing. (See above for my concerns here.)

3rd - After all of the above, our best chance to win is to keep the total points scored below 50, and then...

4th - Rush for at least 115 yds AND pass for at least 215 yds.

All of 4 of these combined would give us a 1 point victory.

What do I see actually happening?

Raiders 28 (90 yds rushing, 340 yds passing - not 450 because they will struggle coming to the east coast - and 2 turnovers)

Bills 27 (115 yds rushing, 245 yds passing, and 1 turnover)

OR

an OT loss...either way, I see this game being a heart-breaker that we lose because our D can't stop the hemorrhaging."

-----------

I've made some changes...sort of. I still see a good chance of a game that goes to OT, but I now have us winning  by one point. In short, I think that we pretty much hit those must-haves I had stated we would need to win. Couple of things factored in: the cold and wet weather, Lynch not playing, and some questionable player availability in their secondary. So, new prediction:

Raiders 20 (80 yds rushing, 310 yds passing, 2 turnovers)

Bills 21 (115 yds rushing, 215 yds passing, 1 turnover)

I don't have a lot of faith that we will win this game but we'll absolutely be in it and if we get a couple of breaks our way we can win this game. This feels like another game that could have a huge impact on our season, 5-2 and we're in the drivers seat but 4-3 and we're back in the crowd.

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

No Poyer and No Gaines....

Offense will need to win this one.

Yeah those are huge loses, particularly against this offense. Hopefully the weather limits what they can do through the air a little bit and Shady can carry his performance against TB into today's game. 

Archived