Cobra Kai - Season 5 - OUT NOW

Deadpulse

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

Felt like Miguel did the least amount of on screen karate this season, once the gang is actually all together. He fights the Mexico goons, resolution fight with Robby, and that's about it. Hopefully he gets in better shape for next season (you can tell Xolo doesn't lift much) and goes back to being the karate prodigy he was. Hawk should not be Johnny's ace fighter. 

I really think this is still longterm things with Miguel. It can paint the longtime story where "He hasn't been fully the same since the school fight"

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

As much as I LOVE Cobra Kai, this season fell flat for me. Here are some issues that I have off of the top of my head:

1. Miguel's father aspect was resolved in 1.5 episodes without any drama whatsoever.

2. They built up the Sekai Taikai Global Tournament as a showdown between the 2 dojos and that went up in smoke within an episode that was basically a super drunken audible and pivot. Now, I SUPPOSE that Kreese can jump start that, but that seems a bit far fetched, even for this show.

3. They went away from what made the show great in the first place, which means Johnny Lawrence FRONT AND CENTER. I need more politically incorrect but well intentioned dialogue, more QUIET exclamations, more misplaced failures with slight redemptive arcs. The GOOD from this season was him making Miguel and Robby fight it out (10/10 comedy there) and him drinking a White Claw. Other than that, he was just another guy.

4. I'm okay with moving on from some of those former main/peripheral characters like Miguel, Robby, Hawk, etc. But IMO there was no nuance to their characters or real motivation for what they were doing short of the Sam and Tori storyline. And if you're going to move on from some of those angles, you'd better have others to focus on and evolve. They did with Kenny, but other than that...meh.

5. I think Chozen's character had massive potential the whole first half of the season and then essentially fell flat. They did next to nothing with him.

1.  definitely sucked

2.  I think you are all not understanding that the expansion of cobra kai, meant they have more students outside the valley

3/  I think they are kinda just going down the movie trail. This season was about karate kid 3 which didn't have lawrence which brings me to

4.  They clearly are setting it this tournament up to be the show finale and I wouldn't be surprised if Hillary Swank was a part.  They spent more of the season then they needed to building up this upcoming tourney, how the asian chick knew kleese and how this was the way to present to the world her family's karate style.  Kleese can't take part outside of somewhere on the peripheral advising the female sensei cause I don't think even the show can get around the he's now an escaped convict thing.  They spent the majority of the season closing out the stories for most of the guys while bringing the females stories to the forefront.  So get ready for that season 6 IMO

• Like 1

Just finished 5.

Its either my 2nd or 3rd favorite season.

Was it perfect?  No, but I dont expect it to be.   The sum of all its parts, however, were excellent.

The character development was insane this year for certain characters.   With a cast this size, its hard to juggle and develop so many characters, but I feel like they do a solid job.     I think they did great developing the characters that really needed it (Tori, Kenny, Chozen), and really added new dimensions and layers to the legacy characters.   Daniel hit rock bottom and came back.    Johnny finally found his lifes purpose and grew into a better man.   We seen just how sadistic Silver was.   We seen vulnerability in Kreese and how his original intentions were noble.

Yes, there were flaws, but nothing that really hurt the season as a whole.   The stuff with Miguels dad definitely felt rushed and kinda wasted, but I think they were just planting seeds.   I dont think this is the end of that story.   Id be shocked if his father doesn't reemerge and come after his mother.

Characters like Miguel, Robbie and Hawk felt like they largely took a backseat this season, but they still got enough time to make them relevant.

I love how they handled Mike Barnes.   It was so fun seeing Daniel and his 3 main enemies from the trilogy fighting together.

I honestly feel like this couldve been a good series finale with a few changes....but its clear they are going to keep going.   Really hoping 6 is the end, but not sure what direction it can go from here.    Miyagi Do could still fight in that tournament, but Im not sure how Cobra Kai comes back.    My only guess is that Silver gets off due to his money, and rebuilds Cobra Kai with mostly new students and Kenny joins Miyagi Do.   No idea what happens with Krease, but my guess is he ultimately does something to redeem himself and help Johnny, since they are REALLY playing up that angle of him caring about him.

We will see, but again, this season was damn good IMO.

Edited by 43M

20 hours ago, 43M said:

Im not sure how Cobra Kai comes back.    My only guess is that Silver gets off due to his money, and rebuilds Cobra Kai with mostly new students

Let's not forget that female sensei whose only motivation was getting her father's style on the national stage. She has more motivation than anyone to use the bid that Cobra Kai got to do that. Her star will be the Lee girl and Kenny will probably be conflicted

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Let's not forget that female sensei whose only motivation was getting her father's style on the national stage. She has more motivation than anyone to use the bid that Cobra Kai got to do that. Her star will be the Lee girl and Kenny will probably be conflicted

Tori and the Lee girl worked together to beat her at the end, so thats doubtful.    

I think Kenny will be conflicted, but I dont see him being in Cobra Kai anymore.

I agree that female sensei could continue Cobra Kai, but I think it needs a familiar face to make people actually care about it again.    While I liked her, she really has no connection to Cobra Kai the way Johnny, Kreese and Silver did.       

As I said, I think Silver will return and run Cobra Kai with that woman.     Beyond that, Im not sure.     

42 minutes ago, 43M said:

Tori and the Lee girl worked together to beat her at the end, so thats doubtful.    

I think Kenny will be conflicted, but I dont see him being in Cobra Kai anymore.

I agree that female sensei could continue Cobra Kai, but I think it needs a familiar face to make people actually care about it again.    While I liked her, she really has no connection to Cobra Kai the way Johnny, Kreese and Silver did.       

As I said, I think Silver will return and run Cobra Kai with that woman.     Beyond that, Im not sure.     

I assume this tournament is held outside the US, Kreese could return

• Like 1