Cobra Kai - Season 5 - OUT NOW

Deadpulse

12 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I agree with this, but that's barely even a knock. I think what makes it the weakest is that the story beats kinda went as expected. Sure there was some solid curves at the end but the whole thing felt a bit too scripted whereas the first 3 seasons were wildly unpredictable. 

I think the fight choreography was on point this season. Especially the two Finals matches, the boy's in particular was fantastic. 

Also a huge fan of Terry Silver's arc in this season. It was everything I wanted from this character's introduction and more. 

Hide contents

Love that he turned on Kreese at the end. Also intrigued by how paying off the ref will come around; obviously it will conflict Tori. Here's hoping that the friend that Silver digs up to help with Cobra Kai is Mike Barnes. Pretty sure he is the only guy from the trilogy that hasn't been brought back yet. Unless you count Jessica but like... why bring her back? Unless they want to bring in Hilary Swank lol

Super intrigued by the inclusion of Chozen - especially with how he will interact with Johnny. 

Yeah, the other seasons are so good....even this being the weakest isnt a bad thing.  It wasnt even "weak" per se, I just felt like there was some confusion of where to take certain characters (Robbie, Tori and Hawk, specifically...although all had some good stuff), and it felt like the story kind of lacked focus on major stories.    Like, they barely showed any training for the tournament outside of a few scenes and the beginning of episode 9.

Overall though, I really enjoyed it.

Honestly, it felt like the theme(s) of this season were 1) be careful of the company you choose and 2) be careful how you treat others.

Spoiler

@skywindO2mentioned he was bummed about the direction they took Kenny, but I loved it.   It showed how a really good kid with a good heart can be led astray, simply because of how he was being treated by others.    It also hinted that him and LaRusso's son could have been friends (he clearly had similar interests, despite making fun of Kenny) if LaRusso wasnt so interested in acting cool.

Another example was Terry.     He clearly changed his ways and turned his life around.   He admitted he was a lunatic who terrorized Daniel, and it wasnt until later in the season you really saw Terry flip.   It seemed like early on, he was legit interested in doing the right thing and teaching those kids how to be winners, but being around Kreese made him become a lunatic again, to the point where he even turned on his best friend, who kept acting like Terry owed him....and Terry certainly paid him back.

3 minutes ago, 43M said:

Yeah, the other seasons are so good....even this being the weakest isnt a bad thing.  It wasnt even "weak" per se, I just felt like there was some confusion of where to take certain characters (Robbie, Tori and Hawk, specifically...although all had some good stuff), and it felt like the story kind of lacked focus on major stories.    Like, they barely showed any training for the tournament outside of a few scenes and the beginning of episode 9.

Overall though, I really enjoyed it.

Honestly, it felt like the theme(s) of this season were 1) be careful of the company you choose and 2) be careful how you treat others.

Hide contents

@skywindO2mentioned he was bummed about the direction they took Kenny, but I loved it.   It showed how a really good kid with a good heart can be led astray, simply because of how he was being treated by others.    It also hinted that him and LaRusso's son could have been friends (he clearly had similar interests, despite making fun of Kenny) if LaRusso wasnt so interested in acting cool.

Another example was Terry.     He clearly changed his ways and turned his life around.   He admitted he was a lunatic who terrorized Daniel, and it wasnt until later in the season you really saw Terry flip.   It seemed like early on, he was legit interested in doing the right thing and teaching those kids how to be winners, but being around Kreese made him become a lunatic again, to the point where he even turned on his best friend, who kept acting like Terry owed him....and Terry certainly paid him back.

I hope they do something more with Kenny and Anthony next season because right now it feels like just a tool for Robby's progression. 

43 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I hope they do something more with Kenny and Anthony next season because right now it feels like just a tool for Robby's progression. 

I think they will.  They even allude to it in the final episode where Kenny tells Anthony to wait until next year.

Speaking of Robby...

Spoiler

Even though I wanted to see him and Johnny mend fences at some point, this felt somewhat forced.    He went from outright hating his father to now he wants to forgive him.   it was a nice scene, I just wish something had happened that made it make more sense.    For where they were, I feel like this needed another season of build up and some events happening that make Robby see Johnny in a different light.    Feels like the only reason they did it is because Miguel left to find his real father and they need something to fill that void early next season.

Originally, I thought what MIGHT happen is, after Robby lost to Hawk/Eli, Silver was going to go after Robbie and rough him up, only for Johnny to find him and fight Silver again.    I think they couldve been a start.

Not everything is always going to have the perfect build up, but I wouldve settle for a decent build up.    This just felt kinda lazy and/or forced.

13 minutes ago, 43M said:

I think they will.  They even allude to it in the final episode where Kenny tells Anthony to wait until next year.

Speaking of Robby...

Hide contents

Even though I wanted to see him and Johnny mend fences at some point, this felt somewhat forced.    He went from outright hating his father to now he wants to forgive him.   it was a nice scene, I just wish something had happened that made it make more sense.    For where they were, I feel like this needed another season of build up and some events happening that make Robby see Johnny in a different light.    Feels like the only reason they did it is because Miguel left to find his real father and they need something to fill that void early next season.

Originally, I thought what MIGHT happen is, after Robby lost to Hawk/Eli, Silver was going to go after Robbie and rough him up, only for Johnny to find him and fight Silver again.    I think they couldve been a start.

Not everything is always going to have the perfect build up, but I wouldve settle for a decent build up.    This just felt kinda lazy and/or forced.

Spoiler

If I am a betting man, Robby and Johnny's relationship will remain pretty bumpy. I have a feeling Johnny is going to go to Mexico to find Miguel and Robby isn't going to take it well. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:
  Hide contents

If I am a betting man, Robby and Johnny's relationship will remain pretty bumpy. I have a feeling Johnny is going to go to Mexico to find Miguel and Robby isn't going to take it well. 

Spoiler

I agree, but nothing happened IMO for Robby to act the way he did at the end.     I just wouldve liked to have seen something that might make him change so suddenly.

In fairness, Robby clearly had a conscience all season and you can tell he wasnt "all in" with Kreese, Silver or the Cobra Kai way.     He even said he was just doing it to get what he wanted.  

I wouldve taken anything though....even if was overhearing Johnny tell his mom how much he regrets not being there for him.   Just something that connected some dots.

49 minutes ago, 43M said:
  Hide contents

I agree, but nothing happened IMO for Robby to act the way he did at the end.     I just wouldve liked to have seen something that might make him change so suddenly.

In fairness, Robby clearly had a conscience all season and you can tell he wasnt "all in" with Kreese, Silver or the Cobra Kai way.     He even said he was just doing it to get what he wanted.  

I wouldve taken anything though....even if was overhearing Johnny tell his mom how much he regrets not being there for him.   Just something that connected some dots.

Spoiler

I thought it worked fine. Seeing Kenny stray despite Robby looking out for him allowed Robby to put himself in Johnny's shoes. He directly mentions that too. "It was like looking in a mirror".

On 1/6/2022 at 12:50 PM, MikeT14 said:

I'm 7 episodes into this season. It's def the most meh so far. I am feeling the CK fatigue setting in. 

Ehh...I dont think it should go beyond 6, but I feel like there is still some good stuff they could do.   I dont agree with all the decisions they made and believe certain things couldve made the upcoming seasons better had they followed a different path.    

I enjoyed season 4, but the biggest issue IMO was it lacked focus.   Every time they started to explore something, they jumped to something else.   There are certain character arcs that I feel couldve done better and couldve added excitement going forward.

However, I am excited for next season.     Lots of potential with certain characters and stories.    I dont think this season was necessarily a sign of a downward trajectory.   I just feel like it was trying to set up too many things and didnt really focus much on any one of them.     

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Skip every scene with the youngest kids and the season was absolutely electric. 

Include the scene with the youngest kids, and this was rough.

I agree those were somewhat weak, but I did like Kenny's character.     However, LaRusso's son and his buddies were annoying as hell, and they didnt really serve much purpose.  

I wanted that scrawny kid with the curly red fro to get blasted so bad.

Edited by 43M

6 hours ago, 43M said:

I agree those were somewhat weak, but I did like Kenny's character.     However, LaRusso's son and his buddies were annoying as hell, and they didnt really serve much purpose.  

I wanted that scrawny kid with the curly red fro to get blasted so bad.

I know it's ironic to complain about a lack of subtlety in a show where Terry Silver spent the last two episodes playing The Riddler in a Batman movie, but **** I hate when Hollywood works so hard to scream, "THIS IS A GOOD GUY. CHEER FOR HIM!" especially in a show who's main premise is about finding balance between the grays. 

Also I hate Sam. Larusso has two dud kids on his hand. At least he got called out somewhat for his ****ty parenting. 

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I know it's ironic to complain about a lack of subtlety in a show where Terry Silver spent the last two episodes playing The Riddler in a Batman movie, but **** I hate when Hollywood works so hard to scream, "THIS IS A GOOD GUY. CHEER FOR HIM!" especially in a show who's main premise is about finding balance between the grays. 

Also I hate Sam. Larusso has two dud kids on his hand. At least he got called out somewhat for his ****ty parenting. 

Sam is pretty insufferable.   I find myself rooting for Tori more.   Not because she has a hard life, but because she is genuinely more likable and has a reason to have a chip on her shoulder.   Sam is a spoiled snob who acts like she is a good person, yet makes almost every situation worse.

1 minute ago, 43M said:

Sam is pretty insufferable.   I find myself rooting for Tori more.   Not because she has a hard life, but because she is genuinely more likable and has a reason to have a chip on her shoulder.   Sam is a spoiled snob who acts like she is a good person, yet makes almost every situation worse.

I dont disagree with anything you just said about her but for some reason I still find her endearing 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...