Cobra Kai - Season 5 - OUT NOW

Deadpulse

18 hours ago, 43M said:

Gonna watch it this week.

This is the first time I didnt binge watch the entire season on day one.  😆

Haven't had time to binge watch anything since Squid Games, but somehow still ended up finding time to binge this lol. Season started off a little slow, but picked up in the second half. Season finale was a lot of fun and glad it went down the way that it did.

I know they said they wanted to do one more season, but apparently the writers are working on some other Netflix projects, so it might take a little longer to come out. Even then, I'm curious what the next/last season would be about given how cleanly this season ended?

10 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Haven't had time to binge watch anything since Squid Games, but somehow still ended up finding time to binge this lol. Season started off a little slow, but picked up in the second half. Season finale was a lot of fun and glad it went down the way that it did.

I know they said they wanted to do one more season, but apparently the writers are working on some other Netflix projects, so it might take a little longer to come out. Even then, I'm curious what the next/last season would be about given how cleanly this season ended?

Spoiler

Sekai Taikai

3 hours ago, Bullet Club said:
  Hide contents

Kreese somehow

Spoiler

Yeah, Kreese is out for blood after Daniel kinda screwed him over in his mind about getting a better lawyer. Even though, I would have been/would be perfectly fine with Kreese faking his death, and deciding to move on from 'this life' indicating that maybe the therapists words actually mean something to him would be nice. That said, it doesn't seem to be the case. I am curious about Kreese with Johnny being an upcoming father dynamic.

Next season, I'd like to see the life portions have a hard time working out. At this point, the main core group of people is about to be or is 18, and should be thinking about what's next (college) and kind of playing that balancing act between having the expectations of this new tournament.

I would also like to see Kenny's story play out more, and I don't know how Anthony is going to play into that. Maybe while people have abandoned Cobra Kai because of Silver, we all know the saying, Cobra Kai never dies. There will almost assuredly be SOMEONE looking to carry on the legacy in some way shape or form.  My gut says that while Tori has moved on from CK, Kreese still has influence to her.

59 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, Kreese is out for blood after Daniel kinda screwed him over in his mind about getting a better lawyer. Even though, I would have been/would be perfectly fine with Kreese faking his death, and deciding to move on from 'this life' indicating that maybe the therapists words actually mean something to him would be nice. That said, it doesn't seem to be the case. I am curious about Kreese with Johnny being an upcoming father dynamic.

Next season, I'd like to see the life portions have a hard time working out. At this point, the main core group of people is about to be or is 18, and should be thinking about what's next (college) and kind of playing that balancing act between having the expectations of this new tournament.

I would also like to see Kenny's story play out more, and I don't know how Anthony is going to play into that. Maybe while people have abandoned Cobra Kai because of Silver, we all know the saying, Cobra Kai never dies. There will almost assuredly be SOMEONE looking to carry on the legacy in some way shape or form.  My gut says that while Tori has moved on from CK, Kreese still has influence to her.

Spoiler

Seems obvious to me he's going to get control back because no one in Cobra Kai really has a reason to hate him. Then he's going to bring them into the tournament.

2 hours ago, Bullet Club said:
  Hide contents

Seems obvious to me he's going to get control back because no one in Cobra Kai really has a reason to hate him. Then he's going to bring them into the tournament.

Spoiler

Conversely, not many have reason to love him and furthermore, he doesn't exactly have the monetary luxury of working from the shadows. He's thought dead, unless he steals an identity completely which would be less than surprising

I think my biggest complaint for this season is that for all the subsequent seasons the kids and their story has really been the meat of the series while the renewed rivalry/dynamic of Johnny and Daniel was a fun side story that helped inform and push the narrative of the next generation. This completely flipped that. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 9:54 PM, Deadpulse said:

I think my biggest complaint for this season is that for all the subsequent seasons the kids and their story has really been the meat of the series while the renewed rivalry/dynamic of Johnny and Daniel was a fun side story that helped inform and push the narrative of the next generation. This completely flipped that. 

As much as I LOVE Cobra Kai, this season fell flat for me. Here are some issues that I have off of the top of my head:

1. Miguel's father aspect was resolved in 1.5 episodes without any drama whatsoever.

2. They built up the Sekai Taikai Global Tournament as a showdown between the 2 dojos and that went up in smoke within an episode that was basically a super drunken audible and pivot. Now, I SUPPOSE that Kreese can jump start that, but that seems a bit far fetched, even for this show.

3. They went away from what made the show great in the first place, which means Johnny Lawrence FRONT AND CENTER. I need more politically incorrect but well intentioned dialogue, more QUIET exclamations, more misplaced failures with slight redemptive arcs. The GOOD from this season was him making Miguel and Robby fight it out (10/10 comedy there) and him drinking a White Claw. Other than that, he was just another guy.

4. I'm okay with moving on from some of those former main/peripheral characters like Miguel, Robby, Hawk, etc. But IMO there was no nuance to their characters or real motivation for what they were doing short of the Sam and Tori storyline. And if you're going to move on from some of those angles, you'd better have others to focus on and evolve. They did with Kenny, but other than that...meh.

5. I think Chozen's character had massive potential the whole first half of the season and then essentially fell flat. They did next to nothing with him.

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

3. They went away from what made the show great in the first place, which means Johnny Lawrence FRONT AND CENTER. I need more politically incorrect but well intentioned dialogue, more QUIET exclamations, more misplaced failures with slight redemptive arcs. The GOOD from this season was him making Miguel and Robby fight it out (10/10 comedy there) and him drinking a White Claw. Other than that, he was just another guy.

To be fair, Silver was the villain and he has zero ties to Johnny. The story centered around him ruining Daniel's life, and that stuff was great. While I agree more Johnny = more greatness, this season wasn't really about him and didn't need to be. Silver was probably the best part of the season.

38 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

As much as I LOVE Cobra Kai, this season fell flat for me. Here are some issues that I have off of the top of my head:

1. Miguel's father aspect was resolved in 1.5 episodes without any drama whatsoever.

I'm only 4 episodes in but since this part is done I will comment. SO FLAT. NO DRAMA. What a waste. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

To be fair, Silver was the villain and he has zero ties to Johnny. The story centered around him ruining Daniel's life, and that stuff was great. While I agree more Johnny = more greatness, this season wasn't really about him and didn't need to be. Silver was probably the best part of the season.

Silver was a good part of the season and I get the focal shift to a degree, but this show isn't about LaRusso. That story was already written IMO. If you're going to go that route, then I need more Mike Barnes, more manipulation from Silver in terms of pitting students AGAINST one another (that was half his intrigue tbh) ala Daniel and Barnes from years ago, etc.

Bringing in the "other senseis" was largely "meh" at best for me.

If anything, it would have been better if Silver was able to totally manipulate his son or daughter just like he did to Daniel 30 years before that.

Felt like Miguel did the least amount of on screen karate this season, once the gang is actually all together. He fights the Mexico goons, resolution fight with Robby, and that's about it. Hopefully he gets in better shape for next season (you can tell Xolo doesn't lift much) and goes back to being the karate prodigy he was. Hawk should not be Johnny's ace fighter. 

Also hope they don't pull some dumb miscarriage angle next season, like having Miguel's mom get punched in the stomach by a bad guy and losing the baby or some other crap. Guessing the baby will be a girl.

Need more Mike Barnes next season.

Edited by Jeezla