(Poll) Predict the Wins-Losses During the 2 Tough 4-Game Stretches

Empire Lies

(Poll) Predict the Win-Loss Record During the Tough 4-Game Stretches  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What's the Win-Loss Record during the 1st Tough 4 Game Stretch (Wk 4 - @Minnesota Vikings, Wk 5 - @Los Angeles Chargers, Wk 6 - Arizona Cardinals, Wk 7 - Denver Broncos)

2. 2. What's the Win-Loss Record during the 2nd Tough 4 Game Stretch (Wk 12 - @Baltimore Ravens, Wk 14 - Baltimore Ravens, Wk 15 - Oakland Raiders, Wk 16 - @Green Bay Packers)

3. 3. What word will best characterize Baker Mayfield's play after those 8 games against top competition?

So much of what the Browns will be and the heights that Baker can soar to will be decided imo during 2 separate tough 4 game stretches against top competition.  The 1st of those 4 game stretches starts with Minnesota this week and ends against the ascending Denver Broncos. The 2nd of those 4 game stretches begins with back to back gauntlets against the Ravens and ends in the cold of Green Bay.

How do the Browns make it through those Stretches in terms of Wins-Losses?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the Win-Loss Record during the 1st Tough 4 Game Stretch:

Week 4 - @Minnesota Vikings

Week 5 - @Los Angeles Chargers

Week 6 - Arizona Cardinals

Week 7 - Denver Broncos

--------------------------------

What's the Win-Loss Record during the 2nd Tough 4 Game Stretch:

Week 12 - @Baltimore Ravens

Week 13 - Bye Week

Week 14 - Baltimore Ravens

Week 15 - Oakland Raiders

Week 16 - @Green Bay Packers

Edited by Empire Lies
  • Like 1

I think the Charges will be a hardest game. 

I m looking at 2 people Baker and Woods. One of them needs to be very good and the other competent to come out alive during these stretches. 
It doesnt help that most of our toughest games this year are away from home. 

Chiefs, Chargers, Packers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think the Charges will be a hardest game. 

I m looking at 2 people Baker and Woods. One of them needs to be very good and the other competent to come out alive during these stretches. 
It doesnt help that most of our toughest games this year are away from home. 

Chiefs, Chargers, Packers. 

Baker, Joe Woods, the hopeful return of Anthony Walker, and OLine play. It's going to come down to those factors.

Malcolm Smith and Mack Wilson are going to get cooked in the pass proficient, pass happy, and spread play designs of the Chargers, Cardinals, and Vikings.

By all accounts SoFi stadium is up there with the Chiefs stadium for the more difficult away venues.

It does suck that the Browns have to go to SoFi and to Lambeau for those big games.

It offers a great opportunity for the Browns to take that next step.

The Chargers Defense has proven to be really good thus far and that's going to be a tough out a week after what I think will be a grind game against Minnesota.

I could see any of the next 4 games going either way, but I hope the Browns can pull out at least 2.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Empire Lies said:

Baker, Joe Woods, the hopeful return of Anthony Walker, and OLine play. It's going to come down to those factors.

Not going to lie, I never want to see Walker play more than 50% of our snaps in a game again. 
I assume our oline play will continue to be good, even with one or two guys down. 

Malcolm Smith and Mack Wilson are going to get cooked in the pass proficient, pass happy, and spread play designs of the Chargers, Cardinals, and Vikings.

Our linebackers a part from JOK stink. As much as possible we are going to need to play nickel and more so Dime where we can. 

By all accounts SoFi stadium is up there with the Chiefs stadium for the more difficult away venues.

It does suck that the Browns have to go to SoFi and to Lambeau for those big games.

It offers a great opportunity for the Browns to take that next step.

Agreed, we are going to learn a heck of a lot about Baker this year, he gets to face a bunch of guys that are top 5 or so QBs, have a competent to good coach, Herbert, Mahomes, and rodgers. It is a shame that they are all away games. Ultimately I think if we win one of those games it is a pass for Baker and a fail if he loses three of them. 

The Chargers Defense has proven to be really good thus far and that's going to be a tough out a week after what I think will be a grind game against Minnesota.

I could see any of the next 4 games going either way, but I hope the Browns can pull out at least 2.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

What is the difference between average and competent? I would think an average performance would be competent and a competent performance would be average.

I originally had "meh" in the place of "average" when I first posted.

Mostly, the connotative associations in that average has a more accessible negative connotation to most people's minds relative to the the mostly positive connotations associated with competent.  Therefore, average would be the lesser of competent.

I figured if there was any confusion, I'd go back to meh.

Edited by Empire Lies
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Empire Lies said:

I originally had "meh" in the place of "average" when I first posted.

Mostly, the connotative associations in that average has a more accessible negative connotation to most people's minds relative to the the mostly positive connotations associated with competent.  Therefore, average would be the lesser of competent.

I figured if there was any confusion, I'd go back to meh.

You didn't ask my opinion but I'll give it anyway. It seems like it would make more sense to do Bad-Below average-Above average-Great instead of 3 that are average (imo) or less and one that is pretty much perfection. I'm not saying it is intentional but it doesn't allow the voters to give a real varied representation of how they feel. If they don't think he will blow the doors off of the best teams we play their next alternative is competent. There are a lot of spaces between those two. If in that 8 game span he throws 14 TD and 4 interceptions that seems like he did pretty well. Certainly not great and certainly better than competent against those teams.

If he went 3-11 we have a category. 11- 7 we have a category. 12-6 we have a category. 17-1 we have a category. If there is anything between competent and excellence you have to bump your projection one way or the other.

1 hour ago, Empire Lies said:

Its been open for year and it was barely filled that first year because of covid. No one really knows if it is truly a difficult stadium to play in. 

Chargers are 4-5 playing in it, so right now its not a huge advantage for them. LA is more of a rams town than Chargers town

I think you take it one game at a time and adjust your expectations by seizing opportunities when they present themselves. If you win the games you should and split the ones that are tough, that’ll get you into the playoffs. Realistically, 4-2 in the division would be nice, and if you go 5-3 or 6-2 in those 2 8 game stretches, that’s pretty good.

28 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Its been open for year and it was barely filled that first year because of covid. No one really knows if it is truly a difficult stadium to play in. 

Chargers are 4-5 playing in it, so right now its not a huge advantage for them. LA is more of a rams town than Chargers town

Stadium noise dynamics were completely different in the empty stadiums last year compared to this year.

Based on many comments by Rams/Chargers opponents this year including Tom Brady, Dak Prescott, as well as less biased NFL media members, and NFL coaches/scouts/execs they've all commented that in terms of noise and communication SoFi is deafening and in the upper echelon in terms of stadium noise difficulty.

There are definitely other stadiums with field quality and/or wind challenges, but many believe SoFi offers a tremendously difficult communication and noise challenge.

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

You didn't ask my opinion but I'll give it anyway. It seems like it would make more sense to do Bad-Below average-Above average-Great instead of 3 that are average (imo) or less and one that is pretty much perfection. I'm not saying it is intentional but it doesn't allow the voters to give a real varied representation of how they feel. If they don't think he will blow the doors off of the best teams we play their next alternative is competent. There are a lot of spaces between those two. If in that 8 game span he throws 14 TD and 4 interceptions that seems like he did pretty well. Certainly not great and certainly better than competent against those teams.

If he went 3-11 we have a category. 11- 7 we have a category. 12-6 we have a category. 17-1 we have a category. If there is anything between competent and excellence you have to bump your projection one way or the other.

I've made numerous polls with proper survey methodology options like the one's you've suggested or with the "Strongly Agree, Agree, etc etc," options to capture the different complexions of people's thoughts. 

I didn't want to go that route this time.

With answer options like, "Struggling, Competent, or Excellence," it can potentially force people to more clear polar positions if they really believe he'll be more or less than competent which was intentional for the purpose of seeing where people on the board really stand in terms of their beliefs on Baker's quality as a QB going through tough challenging competition.

The original "Meh" option then changed to average was an unnecessary throw away option that I removed.

Everyone hopes Baker takes that next step. These 8 games will tell the tale along with his performance in the Playoff should the Browns make it. Though there's definitely subjectivity in deciphering the choice options asking if people think he'll struggle, be competent, or excel is the meaningful question imo that generates answer that illustrate where Browns fans really see him present and future.

Edited by Empire Lies
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Empire Lies said:

I've made numerous polls with proper survey methodology options like the one's you've suggested or with the "Strongly Agree, Agree, etc etc," options to capture the different complexions of people's thoughts. 

With answer options like, "Struggling, Competent, or Excellence," it forces people to more polar positions if they think really believe he'll be more or less than competent which was intentional for the purpose of seeing where people on the board stand in terms of their beliefs in Baker going through tough stretches of games.

The original "Meh" option then changed to average was an unnecessary throw away option.

We can predict his play or rank him wherever we want but the main thing is that he is here and he stays here. Don't care about the back and forth of whatever he is as much as he is the Browns QB now and for a long time. That's the only poll that really matters. Do you want Baker or would you rather start over at QB? Give me Baker.

If you want me to go on record I will, he will be excellent over that 8 game stretch and we will be in the playoffs because of him and 52 other guys.

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

We can predict his play or rank him wherever we want but the main thing is that he is here and he stays here. Don't care about the back and forth of whatever he is as much as he is the Browns QB now and for a long time. That's the only poll that really matters. Do you want Baker or would you rather start over at QB? Give me Baker.

If you want me to go on record I will, he will be excellent over that 8 game stretch and we will be in the playoffs because of him and 52 other guys.

No one in their right mind would ever want to start over at QB for the Browns given the uncertainty in the QB market and what Baker's already shown.

That's pure lunacy, and I don't know of a single person advocating that the Browns move on.

However, the question of "How good is Baker really" or "Can he be a sustainably top tier winning QB or even an elite QB in the league" are important questions that Andrew Berry, top team executives, the coaches, and various fans are still trying wrestling with because of the pending contractual decisions and the cautionary tales of Carson Wentz and Jared Goff out there regarding what can happen when a QB is competent most of the time but can't take that next step to the next level of sustained top tier play.

If Baker is excellent over that stretch of 8 games and doesn't ish the bed in the playoffs, he'll put all major questions about the sustainability of his top level play to bed.

Here's to hoping he balls out.

14 hours ago, Empire Lies said:

Stadium noise dynamics were completely different in the empty stadiums last year compared to this year.

Based on many comments by Rams/Chargers opponents this year including Tom Brady, Dak Prescott, as well as less biased NFL media members, and NFL coaches/scouts/execs they've all commented that in terms of noise and communication SoFi is deafening and in the upper echelon in terms of stadium noise difficulty.

There are definitely other stadiums with field quality and/or wind challenges, but many believe SoFi offers a tremendously difficult communication and noise challenge.

Ok you are discrediting last year. so sofi had held 3 games. Way too small of a sample size to start calling it on of the toughest places so hard. Might be tough for guys barely having experience of playing there cause it’s a new field