will Ben be back in 2018

3rivers

will Ben be back in 2018  

9 members have voted

1. 1. will Ben be back in 2018?

• yes
    • no

If Ben stays healthy all year and doesnt win a Superbowl, I think he will be back.   I think his retirement talk was more for attention than anything else.  Not that its not on his mind, but I dont think he was truly considering retiring last offseason and I dont think he will consider it this offseason either unless he wins a Superbowl or his body is falling apart.

However, Im starting to think we might be better off if he does retire...at least in the short term.   I know some get annoyed with the suggestion that he is regressing, but I think he is.   I do think he has some good football left in him and I wouldnt say he is DONE, but its clear what direction he is heading and his cap hit will prevent us from signing Bell and possibly even Shazier long term.  Its not even so much that I love the idea of paying Bell huge money, but he would make life much easier on a young QB, and Ben is going to retire soonafter anyway.

Ben's accuracy issues right now are very concerning.   Its one thing to miss on deep passes, but he is missing or at last somewhat off target on passes that every NFL QB should be able to make.  He can still make the occasional great pass obviously, but so can most backup caliber QBs.   No, I am not saying Ben is a backup caliber QB....but I dont entirely trust Ben like I used to.   His play this year, however, is somewhat reminiscent of Peyton Manning's final year.     Peyton won a SB and rode off into the sunset.   That would be the best case scenario, but not the most likely one.   

Bottom line, Im just starting to think it might be time to move on.    I wouldnt mind keeping him obviously while we groom a young QB, but as I said, I think Bell would have a better impact on a young QB's development than Ben over the next several years, and I dont think we can keep both Ben AND Bell next year.  

15 hours ago, 3rivers said:

43M,  someone mentioned Alex Smith, possibly hypothetically, but is it just me or would he actually suit this team well if we still had Bell? 

Alex Smith will still get at least $15m to be a QB somewhere.    We still couldnt sign him and keep Bell.

Alex Smith is only 2 years younger than Ben as well.   If Ben retired Id rather draft a rookie and sign a cheaper vet like Ryan Fitzpatrick WHILE ALSO KEEPING BELL than sign Alex Smith and lose Bell.   If we are going to lose Bell, Id rather Ben just stay and well rolled with him while grooming a rookie.  

53 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Alex Smith will still get at least $15m to be a QB somewhere.    We still couldnt sign him and keep Bell.

Alex Smith is only 2 years younger than Ben as well.   If Ben retired Id rather draft a rookie and sign a cheaper vet like Ryan Fitzpatrick WHILE ALSO KEEPING BELL than sign Alex Smith and lose Bell.   If we are going to lose Bell, Id rather Ben just stay and well rolled with him while grooming a rookie.  

Bell stays unless he wants too much, that we all agree on. If Ben stays, how do we keep him and Bell? Wouldn't smith be lower cap $ than Ben ?  If we could draft the next Marino, not malone 9_9

Smith would be a lower cap hit, but not a huge decrease.   Ben is due to make $23m next year.   His dead cap hit would be $12m.    With other cuts and restructures, we could keep Bell...OR possibly sign Alex Smith.  Not both.    And like I said, if thats the case, Id much rather keep Bell than sign Alex Smith.

never knew the cap situation. Once again it will be a roster make over, and losing some players that won't be replaced. This is our year to win and if we don't then that most likely will be it unless injuries to other teams really hit their best  players 

Can Todd.

Even Todd Haley, Pittsburgh's six-year offensive coordinator, has mastered the art of giving Ben his space. "I've learned pretty quickly that, within the game, when a series ends, leave him alone," he says. "Some guys want to communicate right away. He's just a quiet, calm guy within the game."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21240450/pittsburgh-steelers-quarterback-ben-roethlisberger-hiding-plain-sight

ESPN's lead story right now on Roethlisberger, his place in the locker room. Only one quote from a coach, and it's Haley. I found this interesting. There was all that talk about moving Haley into the booth this year, which didn't happen. I find it hard to believe that Roethlisberger didn't talk to Arians on the sideline.

3 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Can Todd.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21240450/pittsburgh-steelers-quarterback-ben-roethlisberger-hiding-plain-sight

ESPN's lead story right now on Roethlisberger, his place in the locker room. Only one quote from a coach, and it's Haley. I found this interesting. There was all that talk about moving Haley into the booth this year, which didn't happen. I find it hard to believe that Roethlisberger didn't talk to Arians on the sideline.

I think he's more talking about the minute they are off the field.  Other guys do it too.  Brady like to get off the field, look at what he missed on his own, then talk to his OC.  Peyton did the same thing.  Some guys like  Wilson and ARod like to talk right away about it.

I hope not. I hate watching his diminished play as is and would hate for his legacy to be further tarnished as his body just can't hold up anymore. The team is talented enough to survive without him, and there's part of me that can't help but think that maybe even an average game manager could be having a better season than Ben is having right now surrounded by this talent. 

14 hours ago, lionslicer said:

I hope not. I hate watching his diminished play as is and would hate for his legacy to be further tarnished as his body just can't hold up anymore. The team is talented enough to survive without him, and there's part of me that can't help but think that maybe even an average game manager could be having a better season than Ben is having right now surrounded by this talent. 

What is this based on?   

12 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

What is this based on?   

Nothing substantial, because I am not his doctor obviously. He just doesn't pass the eye test for me. He moves slower despite having lost a lot of weight. Some of his throws just come out horrible. It's not that he makes a mental mistake, but for whatever reason his throwing mechanics aren't where they used to be. I blame this on physical issues because he's been doing the same things for years, yet the last 2 years, his throws just look worse than they did pre-2016. I'm just an idiot on the internet, so what I say doesn't really matter. But his play is seemingly diminishing at an accelerated rate. He should quit while he's ahead. 

2 hours ago, lionslicer said:

Nothing substantial, because I am not his doctor obviously. He just doesn't pass the eye test for me. He moves slower despite having lost a lot of weight. Some of his throws just come out horrible. It's not that he makes a mental mistake, but for whatever reason his throwing mechanics aren't where they used to be. I blame this on physical issues because he's been doing the same things for years, yet the last 2 years, his throws just look worse than they did pre-2016. I'm just an idiot on the internet, so what I say doesn't really matter. But his play is seemingly diminishing at an accelerated rate. He should quit while he's ahead. 

I disagree.  I still think he moves decent.   Obviously he isnt what he once was, but he is 35...he is obviously slowing down, but not to the point I think he is suffering physically.

What specifically about his mechanics is the issue?   

Im not saying he is what he was 10 years ago, but I disagree that alot of his current issues arent mental.    Now,, it may be because he is having some physical issues and is worried about getting hurt, but nothing Im seeing about him tells me that his issues right now are physical.    I cant pinpoint it....but sometimes it looks like he is playing scared and sometimes it looks like he is kind of just phoning it in.    

I have noticed a different demeanor with him this year.  Seems more serious.  Maybe not enjoying the game quite as much.

As a father of 3 young kids under 10, I can practically guarantee you he is thinking about life after football.  Will he still be able to play with his kids?  Will he still be mentally and physically healthy?  Not to mention the time and attention that is required to be a dad to a growing family.  I'm quite sure he is being pulled in more than one direction at this point.

Will that affect his longevity in the league?  I'd be surprised if it didn't.  At this point, I think he wants to get one more ring (and a few more big pay days) and move on with his life.  That's my sense of it.  

Ben is definitely thinking about retirement....but he is also thinking about the nearly $50m he has left in his contract.   If he won another SB this year, I think he would strongly consider walking away, but I think his retirement talk this past offseason put it into everyones mind that he is considering it more than I believe he actually was.   Again, I do think its heavily on his mind, but I doubt he walks away from all the money left on the table unless he absolutely has to.

Archived