Doctors save TE Zach Millers leg after torn popliteal artery

CBears019

25 minutes ago, The Third Rider said:

Are you sure you looked at it right? That injury look really gruesome to me...

The video you posted I can't see because it was blocked, but judging by the still pic that it used, it a highlighted(zoomed) view of the injury, not the live version. The live version that they showed it didn't look that bad at all. 

Now ofcourse because I now know the outcome, it looks terrible. But to the naked eye of everyone watching that game on TV it wasn't nearly as severe. 

The only thing that really caught my eye was seeing the look on Howard's face. Other than that, it looked like a normal injury that you would see in almost every other game. In fact, I seen much worse in that game alone where the players end up just walking it off.   

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

The video you posted I can't see because it was blocked, but judging by the still pic that it used, it a highlighted(zoomed) view of the injury, not the live version. The live version that they showed it didn't look that bad at all. 

Now ofcourse because I now know the outcome, it looks terrible. But to the naked eye of everyone watching that game on TV it wasn't nearly as severe. 

The only thing that really caught my eye was seeing the look on Howard's face. Other than that, it looked like a normal injury that you would see in almost every other game. In fact, I seen much worse in that game alone where the players end up just walking it off.   

In the video they show several replays (it's from the broadcast) and you could definitely see his leg going the wrong way... don't think the commentators realized how severe it was, though.

2 minutes ago, kramxel said:

In the video they show several replays (it's from the broadcast) and you could definitely see his leg going the wrong way... don't think the commentators realized how severe it was, though.

Which may be true. Maybe they did show more replays than I saw.

Again, after the catch and thinking it was TD, I saw him still laying there and walked out the room thinking there would be a delay for a minute, only to come back to seeing the look on Howard's face and the replay before the FG. And it didn't look that bad to me. In fact I was surprised that he was hurt at all after the initial play took place.

I keep every game and if I had the ambition and time, I would go back and rewatch that specific play just to see and post it, but I don't. 

He honestly should have retired years ago after the consistently bad lower leg injuries, for the sake of collateral damage. As others have mentioned, this is probably a good visual comparison to what may have happened with Bridgewater. Hope he recovers and has a nice post football career. He strikes me as a guy that will do great calling games...

Ive never had a weak stomach for most things.   Ive seen some pretty horrific and disgusting things, but one of the only things that really makes me squeamish is watching limbs, joints, bones etc....bend and/or break in ways they arent meant to that results in serious injury.   There was that college basketball player years ago who suffered a compound fracture on the court and I honestly couldnt sleep for two straight days.     Everytime I would let my mind go blank to fall asleep, that would pop in my head.    Absolutely horrific.

I refuse to watch the video.    I just hope he recovers fully. 

On 10/30/2017 at 10:39 PM, Forge said:

For those who are old enough to remember, Napoleon McCallum had the same terrifying situation. Ended his career, but they were able to save the leg. Knee dislocations are terrifying

They really are. The thing most people typically don’t understand is that we aren’t talking about a kneecap dislocation. We’re talking about the entire knee joint that connects the fibula and tibia together with the femur displacing out of socket.

These type of vascular injuries are relatively common and an extremely dangerous potential secondary injury every single time a knee gets dislocated. If you go back and read the thread on Bridgewater’s injury, you’ll read there that the Vikings medical staff saved his leg; they were able to immobilize the injury and prevent a vascular tear.

I’ve said it before, but knee dislocations are up there with spinal injuries for the most dangerous. 

Archived