Phillies hire Gabe Kapler as manager - former Dodgers director of player development

pwny

Not sure why they didn't hire Wathan. 

Smart guy, "interesting" personality. It'll get the Brian Kenny types exciting but it shouldn't be a great sign that the Dodgers were essentially shopping him. Also he should probably be blackballed for the Francona stuff that Passan reported on a few months ago. 

1 hour ago, NewAge said:

Smart guy, "interesting" personality. It'll get the Brian Kenny types exciting but it shouldn't be a great sign that the Dodgers were essentially shopping him. Also he should probably be blackballed for the Francona stuff that Passan reported on a few months ago. 

Wathan is still under contract with the phils. So he will be on kaplers staff or manage AAA again. 

41 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

I think the organization needed some new blood. 

The Phillies are presumably going to be active on FAs coming up. I don't know why guys like Harper and Machado would want to play for the guy who spray tans his balls over the guy who is credited in large part for the development of Hoskins and others. 

45 minutes ago, NewAge said:

The Phillies are presumably going to be active on FAs coming up. I don't know why guys like Harper and Machado would want to play for the guy who spray tans his balls over the guy who is credited in large part for the development of Hoskins and others. 

Do you really think any free agent of consequence is spending more than 3.5 seconds thinking about the managers of the teams he's considering? And if he did, is he docking Kapler points for previously being the director of player development for an organization that's churning out top prospects left and right?

1 hour ago, playmaker8267 said:

Do you really think any free agent of consequence is spending more than 3.5 seconds thinking about the managers of the teams he's considering? And if he did, is he docking Kapler points for previously being the director of player development for an organization that's churning out top prospects left and right?

Who knows but I don't know how well he'll mesh with vets.

In related news...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/phillies-satisfied-that-nick-franconas-accusations-against-gabe-kapler-are-false-20171030.html

15 hours ago, NewAge said:

Is that why the media reports of "it came down to him and Roberts" got leaked?

I always thought he had a pretty great rep among potential managerial candidates.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Is that why the media reports of "it came down to him and Roberts" got leaked?

I always thought he had a pretty great rep among potential managerial candidates.

No, the stuff with Francona happened after that. 

He has a good rep in the sabermetrics community and has been seen as a future manager since 2007. However, given the Francona stuff and general impressions of his personality, it wouldn't be shocking if he struggles a bit with the behind the scenes parts of the job. Should be a very good in-game manager though. 

25 minutes ago, NewAge said:

No, the stuff with Francona happened after that. 

He has a good rep in the sabermetrics community and has been seen as a future manager since 2007. However, given the Francona stuff and general impressions of his personality, it wouldn't be shocking if he struggles a bit with the behind the scenes parts of the job. Should be a very good in-game manager though. 

So I'm assuming they need to hire a guy who is very personal as the hitting coach/assistant manager then.

Not the worst set up if they do it that way intentionally and Kapler knows he'll be a little less hands on in the clubhouse.

Archived