My early 2022 offseason plan

49erscap

Sorry guys been a bit, but yeah, it's just not financially feasible to hang onto Jimmy, and also retain guys like Key, DJ, Laken, K'Waun, and others, and extend Dre, Nick, & Deebo, without mortgaging the future salary cap, like redoing everyone possible, as it'll just eat up future cap room, and no guarantee the cap explodes before 2024, with the 2022 cap set to be at most $208.2M, and 2023 probably in the $230M range, max, which is what it should have been in 2022 before COVID hit. 

Also updated it today, I don't see everything happening, but it'd be nice IMO.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 3:49 PM, 49erscap said:

Sorry guys been a bit, but yeah, it's just not financially feasible to hang onto Jimmy, and also retain guys like Key, DJ, Laken, K'Waun, and others, and extend Dre, Nick, & Deebo, without mortgaging the future salary cap, like redoing everyone possible, as it'll just eat up future cap room, and no guarantee the cap explodes before 2024, with the 2022 cap set to be at most $208.2M, and 2023 probably in the $230M range, max, which is what it should have been in 2022 before COVID hit. 

Also updated it today, I don't see everything happening, but it'd be nice IMO.

How reliable is the Over The Cap cap calculator? I was messing around on there today and I was able to add around $51 mil in additional cap space with 6 cap relief moves. I want to believe this could be real life, but it seemed too easy. 

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

How reliable is the Over The Cap cap calculator? I was messing around on there today and I was able to add around $51 mil in additional cap space with 6 cap relief moves. I want to believe this could be real life, but it seemed too easy. 

What cap moves were they?

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Cleaning cap space for one season is pretty easy. The problem is you are basically pushing the bill to the future which will at one point catch up to you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Cleaning cap space for one season is pretty easy. The problem is you are basically pushing the bill to the future which will at one point catch up to you.

Agreed. Especially if you're hanging on to JImmy. Just off the top of my head: 

Restructures of Kittle, Jimmy, AA + extension for McG could probably push you to 40 million cleared up in short order. 

Just now, Forge said:

Restructures of Kittle, Jimmy, AA + extension for McG could probably push you to 40 million cleared up in short order. 

Easiest and probably best for the future is cutting Jimmy and Samson no matter what. Jimmy is a fine player but you have to start the Lance era and Ebukam has been improving but not to the clip of the contract. Outside of that cutting Ford is probably best post june 1 but that only helps with extensions really. After that its restructuring guys like AA and Kittle and extending McG but all those things will just push money to later which with the increase in cap should be fine as long as you keep some flexibility. 

Cuttin Jimmy and Samson gives us around 38 mil and then around 7 mil extra post june 1. Should be enough to keep the core around add some low level roster guys and maybe make one or two Ebukam level signings. But it will be important how we structure those contracts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49erscap said:

What cap moves were they?

• Traded Jimmy - $25mil
  • Post June 1 Cut Ford - $7mil
  • Your phantom extension for McG - $7.88 mil
  • 1-yr Ebukam extension - $3.97 mil
  • 2-yr Ward extension - $4.37 mil
  • 2-yr Moseley extension - $2.77 mil

im sure the numbers aren’t quite right but those were the moves.

33 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:
  • Traded Jimmy - $25mil
  • Post June 1 Cut Ford - $7mil
  • Your phantom extension for McG - $7.88 mil
  • 1-yr Ebukam extension - $3.97 mil
  • 2-yr Ward extension - $4.37 mil
  • 2-yr Moseley extension - $2.77 mil

im sure the numbers aren’t quite right but those were the moves.

All but the Dee Ford looks right, Dee's $4.6M injury GTD roster bonus becomes GTD the 2nd day after the SB, but is due by the 1st of April from my understanding, the real savings from Dee is either $2M(Pre June 1) or $2.4M(Post June 1).

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Yeah, it's easy to create the cap room for 2022, but it just pushes or how I like to say mortgages the future cap for 1yr, redoing Kittle, AA, & Ward saves around $24M, which is enough to keep Jimmy for 2022, but it also takes away $8M in 2023, which isn't a lot right now, but seeing as they only have 17 players signed for 2023, if you factor in the top 51 rule, they're at $65M in cap room, on a $225M cap(I don't think it hits the explosion of $256M till 2024, since the new TV deals don't start till 2023), but this doesn't include extensions for Bosa, Deebo, Dre, any re-signings(DJ, Laken, Arden, K'Waun, Wilson, Willis, Tartt, Azeez), or draft picks, in my mock offseason, top 51 wise, with a $225M cap, after my moves, no redos, just move on from Jimmy & Dee, they're at $18M(top 51), but that's with 27 actual players signed, no draft picks factored in, which if they keep(unlikely) their picks, it's $7,966,260 for our 8 projected picks according to OTC.

So, the 49ers will have to decide, do they want to keep Jimmy, redo all those players, risk losing some key FAs, to try & run it back, if they win it all, Deebo, Dre, & Bosa would be extended anyway, those are easy, lower their base salaries(except Bosa, use his roster bonus for bonus proration) to convert into signing bonus, use some cap room, it's just they could/likely lose more than 1 of the UFAs(Laken, Arden, DJ, K'Waun, Wilson, Willis, Tartt), plus the fact that they just traded 2 future 1's, and a 3 to get Trey, I can't see them sitting him another year, by year 3 he'll have literally no playing time under his belt, so year 4 comes, do you exercise his 5th yr option? I mean, for what you paid, yeah, but with 1yr to show? I just don't see how Jimmy is back, they'll likely deal him to a team he wants to go to, he signs a new deal, we get multiple day 2 picks back, or a 1st.

Also, as for redoing Jimmy, it's a terrible idea, the minimum you can save is $11.54M, max is $18.464M, but in 2023 you lose that amount since you'd need to add at least 1 void yr for minimum or 4 for max, so that money goes on the 2023 cap, plus since his deal would void, he doesn't qualify for a compensatory pick, so we'd get nothing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 49erscap said:

Yeah, it's easy to create the cap room for 2022, but it just pushes or how I like to say mortgages the future cap for 1yr, redoing Kittle, AA, & Ward saves around $24M, which is enough to keep Jimmy for 2022, but it also takes away $8M in 2023, which isn't a lot right now, but seeing as they only have 17 players signed for 2023, if you factor in the top 51 rule, they're at $65M in cap room, on a $225M cap(I don't think it hits the explosion of $256M till 2024, since the new TV deals don't start till 2023), but this doesn't include extensions for Bosa, Deebo, Dre, any re-signings(DJ, Laken, Arden, K'Waun, Wilson, Willis, Tartt, Azeez), or draft picks, in my mock offseason, top 51 wise, with a $225M cap, after my moves, no redos, just move on from Jimmy & Dee, they're at $18M(top 51), but that's with 27 actual players signed, no draft picks factored in, which if they keep(unlikely) their picks, it's $7,966,260 for our 8 projected picks according to OTC.

So, the 49ers will have to decide, do they want to keep Jimmy, redo all those players, risk losing some key FAs, to try & run it back, if they win it all, Deebo, Dre, & Bosa would be extended anyway, those are easy, lower their base salaries(except Bosa, use his roster bonus for bonus proration) to convert into signing bonus, use some cap room, it's just they could/likely lose more than 1 of the UFAs(Laken, Arden, DJ, K'Waun, Wilson, Willis, Tartt), plus the fact that they just traded 2 future 1's, and a 3 to get Trey, I can't see them sitting him another year, by year 3 he'll have literally no playing time under his belt, so year 4 comes, do you exercise his 5th yr option? I mean, for what you paid, yeah, but with 1yr to show? I just don't see how Jimmy is back, they'll likely deal him to a team he wants to go to, he signs a new deal, we get multiple day 2 picks back, or a 1st.

Also, as for redoing Jimmy, it's a terrible idea, the minimum you can save is $11.54M, max is $18.464M, but in 2023 you lose that amount since you'd need to add at least 1 void yr for minimum or 4 for max, so that money goes on the 2023 cap, plus since his deal would void, he doesn't qualify for a compensatory pick, so we'd get nothing.

Agreed. Cut the chord now.  Especially since I think you're getting an asset for Jimmy in trade. Don't sacrifice future years money (if you stick around enough, you're bound to hear me ***** about void years on contracts lol). We have a wonderful opportunity with this roster and a QB on a rookie deal. We have a nice window here. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Agreed. Cut the chord now.  Especially since I think you're getting an asset for Jimmy in trade. Don't sacrifice future years money (if you stick around enough, you're bound to hear me ***** about void years on contracts lol). We have a wonderful opportunity with this roster and a QB on a rookie deal. We have a nice window here. 

Bro I hate void years, I get the Bucs did it to keep their core together for 2022, but they got bounced, just a bad idea to do it, I hope the 49ers don't need to do it with McGlinchey, my hope is a paycut for Ebukam down to minimum, give him NLTBE incentives to earn the money back, Dee cut, you should have enough to sign your picks, plus the key FAs to bring back, of course with Jimmy traded, and yes we'll get an asset or 2, could be 2 2nd's, a 1st, a 2 & 3, who knows, his value has skyrocketed IMO, he's a NFL starting QB, it'll be fun to see what they do in March before the league yr begins, also key date, Feb 18, that day at 4PM EST, Laken's deal voids, if they want to avoid his dead money & bring him back, they need to extend him before that day at 4.

• Like 1

Jimmy isn't even having a Eli/Flacco/Foles type of playoff run, we're winning largely in spite of him

I know he's hurt and not nearly as bad as he's playing this playoffs, but he wasn't lighting up the world when he was healthy either

Lance has shown he's ready. Get what you can from Jimmy and move on

• Like 4