Justin Reid Suspension...

ET80

I was about to share this in the GDT, but I think we're at a point to where we should have a separate discussion - whenever the best player on the team is suspended for a game, we should discuss:

From Reid's perspective, it was a disagreement with Culley, one that he felt was amicable:

So - it seems as if Reid is taking a position of surprise on yesterday's decision. What does this mean for the impending FA?

In addition: Reid is the 3rd starter on defense to be benched, along with slot CB Desmond King and LB Zach Cunningham. (You could argue that Charles Ominehu was another benching, but I'll stick with official team suspensions). Why are so many guys getting sat like this?

23 minutes ago, tab said:

We dont hear benchings like this happen on other bad teams right? Much less good teams?

I occasionally hear of a few - guys missing curfew, think Percy Harvin was suspended for throwing a barbell at Brad Childress back in the 00s IIRC. Chester Taylor once got suspended for hitting a teammate with a chair (I remember that because it sounds so WWE...)

As far as the Texans - Bradley Roby was suspended before the Bucs game a few years ago. There are more, maybe?

Still, three suspensions in roughly 11 games is pretty brutal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I occasionally hear of a few - guys missing curfew, think Percy Harvin was suspended for throwing a barbell at Brad Childress back in the 00s IIRC. Chester Taylor once got suspended for hitting a teammate with a chair (I remember that because it sounds so WWE...)

As far as the Texans - Bradley Roby was suspended before the Bucs game a few years ago. There are more, maybe?

Still, three suspensions in roughly 11 games is pretty brutal.

i mean the biggest one i can think of is Malcolm Butler in the SB, which is where idk maybe this came from (patriots way?) but from culley? idk

is the culture in the locker room so bad where we're benching players for disciplinary reasons and hurting our chances in winnable matchups? I really do want like, a former player to start talking about wtf is going on right now

Edited by tab
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tab said:

i mean the biggest one i can think of is Malcolm Butler in the SB, which is where idk maybe this came from (patriots way?) but from culley? idk

is the culture in the locker room so bad where we're benching players for disciplinary reasons and hurting our chances in winnable matchups? I really do want like, a former player to start talking about wtf is going on right now

My personal belief is one of two things:

- Culley is so afraid of losing the locker room, he's abusing his authority to prove he HAS authority. Reid, Cunningham, King, Ominehu... They all have a future in the NFL past this season. Other guys? Can't really say that about them, this might be their last stop. So, they have to toe the line... because they won't even be suspended a game, they'll be cut.

It's akin to the Eric Cartman "Respect my Authoritah!!!" bit from South Park...

south park thq GIF

- Jack Easterby has instilled a belief across the FO/Coaching staff that the players are nothing more than fodder; It doesn't matter who you are or what your future holds, you as a player mean nothing and anything that comes across as a slight to your "managers" will lead to punishment. This is what turns amicable disagreements into punishment to "subordinates".

A third option is that Reid sees the disaster for what it is and is checking out, but I don't believe that... but, I also once believed Deshaun Watson was a great person off the field, so my judgement isn't exactly worth listening to.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ET80 said:

My personal belief is one of two things:

- Culley is so afraid of losing the locker room, he's abusing his authority to prove he HAS authority. Reid, Cunningham, King, Ominehu... They all have a future in the NFL past this season. Other guys? Can't really say that about them, this might be their last stop. So, they have to toe the line... because they won't even be suspended a game, they'll be cut.

south park thq GIF

- Jack Easterby has instilled a belief across the FO/Coaching staff that the players are nothing more than fodder; It doesn't matter who you are or what your future holds, you as a player mean nothing and anything that comes across as a slight to your "managers" will lead to punishment. This is what turns amicable disagreements into punishment to "subordinates".

A third option is that Reid sees the disaster for what it is and is checking out, but I don't believe that... but, I also once believed Deshaun Watson was a great person off the field, so my judgement isn't exactly worth listening to.

I whole heartedly endorse all of this... even about DW4

• Like 1

Semi-related:

Lonnie Johnson only played 16% of eligible snaps Sunday (11 total):

https://www.battleredblog.com/platform/amp/week-12-2021-new-york-jets-v-houston-texans-more-like/2021/11/29/22808352/houston-texans-new-york-jets-snap-counts-nfl-football-tyrod-taylor-justin-reid-david-culley

So, I'm pretty sure that S tandem that showed some promise in a daft season is a one-time thing. Reid is probably signing elsewhere (Arizona, if I had to guess - because Texans) and Lonnie might get cut outright, if not traded for a 6th round pick to replenish all of the late round picks we've throw away.

This is the darkest timeline...

RSRrCGy6daVYLJ2WI3VWKW9jwoG5WWgh2Zj-gVMa

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Something I’ve learned from coaching high school football is that if you don’t deal swiftly with discipline problems, they can multiply quickly. I don’t like the coaches but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt 

...but four suspensions in 11 games? That's excessive. They're multiplying quickly even WHEN they deal swiftly with it. This should have been done with Zach Cunningham, but it's still bleeding into everything.

In any professional setting, you have to deal with discipline problems swiftly. Doesn't matter if you're managing a team of Product Managers and (like I do) or a HS football team (like you do).

You have to retain order and nip things in the bud, but there is a way to do that which combines open communication, defines clear expectations and de-escalates any sort of conflict before it starts. With the multiple issues this team has over the past three months, I'm feeling that isn't happening.

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

...but four suspensions in 11 games? That's excessive. They're multiplying quickly even WHEN they deal swiftly with it. This should have been done with Zach Cunningham, but it's still bleeding into everything.

In any professional setting, you have to deal with discipline problems swiftly. Doesn't matter if you're managing a team of Product Managers and (like I do) or a HS football team (like you do).

You have to retain order and nip things in the bud, but there is a way to do that which combines open communication, defines clear expectations and de-escalates any sort of conflict before it starts. With the multiple issues this team has over the past three months, I'm feeling that isn't happening.

🤷‍♂️ We didn’t hire a serious candidate for our head coaching job so there’s that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

🤷‍♂️ We didn’t hire a serious candidate for our head coaching job so there’s that. 

Which ultimately feeds into my initial point:

On 11/29/2021 at 5:54 PM, ET80 said:

south park thq GIF

Let's preface it like this: Culley and Reid are watching film together. Culley (who doesn't even have zero football IQ, he's trending negative football IQ - think we can agree on that) tells Reid (who makes up for slightly above average athleticism with a razor sharp mind and instincts in film study and on the field) he's doing something wrong in coverage. Reid disagrees, pretty emphatically at that.

Just based on THIS (I understand there's more to it) who do you believe is correct? For me... there is no reality, no multiverse in which I think David Culley is understanding the film and coverage assignments better that Justin Reid. So, I'm firmly in the camp of Reid defending himself for his play on tape. Could it have been communicated better? Yes, no question - that goes back to my 2nd point:

12 hours ago, ET80 said:

You have to retain order and nip things in the bud, but there is a way to do that which combines open communication, defines clear expectations and de-escalates any sort of conflict before it starts.

This sounds like it could be complicated, but it's achievable when there's mutual respect between parties. I've been on both sides of this coin - both as a manager holding a "level set discussion" with an employee, as well as an employee brought into a discussion with a VP/COO for a "recalibration and strategy session".

Fancy words notwithstanding, these two meetings mean the exact same thing - you're coming to confess your sins and what you can do to get right. It can absolutely go sideways, it can turn into an argument, escalations are absolutely on the table - but a clear understanding of the end goal, along with documented plans of improvement (not a write up) and a commitment to be involved with the improvement process gives everyone the understanding that everyone in the room values everyone - and from there, trust and respect is established.

This was a very obvious flaw of Bill O'Brien when he was here, he had no respect for anyone that wasn't in the mirror - and it showed. David Culley was brought in, partially because he was good at establishing his trust and respect across the roster - he was supposed to be the fixer, akin to Dusty Baker with the Astros following the cheating scandal.

To this point, not only has he failed in this part of his job - he has failed spectacularly. In his time in Houston, BoB only suspended three players - Ryan Mallet, DJ Swearinger and Bradley Roby (missing meetings and film study, oversleeping on a travel day? Very valid reasons to suspend a guy, I'm not going to fault a person who does that, even BoB). 

Culley has nearly caught up to that in a single season (hell, if you consider Ominehu... he's surpassed BoB) and Culley is supposed to be the NICE guy. There is no real reason given to the suspension, outside of a vague "violation of team rules". It could be missing a meeting, it could be a simple disagreement during practice or film study - the ambiguity and evasiveness in these suspensions is a HUGE red flag.

I get he's a lame duck, but this is still VERY alarming. Players talk across teams and across to younger guys in college... so any chance of building a building that people WANT to be in is slowly eroding into dust (if you believe the story last off-season, it's why Chris Harris Jr didn't even return the Texans' call, Kareem Jackson told him to stay far away).

It's the darkest timeline. The David Culley era might go down as the worst coach/manager era in all of sports - no football acumen, no people skills, no results, no improvement on or off the field.

• Like 1