BDL 2021 Week 12 - New Orleans Jazz @ Death Valley Nightmare

SirA1

Who Wins?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• New Orleans Jazz
    • Death Valley Nightmare

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/09/2021 at 04:59 AM

BDL 2021 Week 12

Match:  New Orleans Jazz @ Death Valley Nightmare

Away Owner:      @WFLukic

Home Owner:     @wwhickok

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

New Orleans Jazz

Offense:

QB: Josh Allen
RB: James Conner
WR1: DeAndre Hopkins
WR2: D.J. Moore
Slot WR: Cole Beasley
TE: Mike Gesicki
LT: Taylor Decker
LG: Joel Bitonio
OC: Connor McGovern
RG: Brandon Scherff
RT: Jonah Williams

RB2: Tevin Coleman
RB3: Devin Singletary
RB4: Nyheim Hines
WR4: TY Hilton
WR5: Zach Pascal
TE2: Jared Cook
OL6: Cam Robinson
OL7: Austin Corbett

Defense:

DE: Nick Bosa
DT: Grady Jarrett
DT: Jeffery Simmons
DE: Jadeveon Clowney
LB: Demario Davis
LB: Jamal Adams
CB: Stephon Gilmore
CB: J.C. Jackson
CB: James Bradberry
SS: Adrian Amos
FS: Micah Hyde

DE3: Jason Pierre-Paul
DE4: Michael Danna
DT3: Dre’Mont Jones
DT4: McTelvin Agim
LB3: Jordyn Brooks
LB4: Foyesade Oluokun
DB6: DJ Reed
DB7: Darnell Savage

Death Valley Nightmare

Offense:
QB: Matthew Stafford
RB: Darrell Williams
WR: Corey Davis
WR Michael Gallup
WR: Christian Kirk
TE1: Dawson Knox
LT: Penei Sewell
LG: Dion Dawkins
C : Creed Humphrey
RG: Connor Williams
RT:  Morgan Moses

Bench:
RB2: Davonte Booker
WR4: DeVante Parker
WR5: Byron Pringle
WR6:  Jalen Reagor
WR7: Jalen Guyton
TE2: Tyler Conklin
OT: Chukwuma Okorafor
OG: Mark Glowinski

Defense
LE: Calais Campbell 
NT: Javon Hargrave
RE: Cam Heyward
LOLB: Maxx Crosby 
ILB: Devin Bush
ILB: Zaven Collins
ROLB: Brian Burns
CB: Darius Slay
CB:  Carlton Davis
FS: Xavier Woods
SS: Jeremy Chinn

Bench:
INT/DE: Raekwon Davis
OLB: Kwity Paye
CB4: Rock Ya-Sin
CB5: Terrance Mitchell
CB 6: James Pierre
NCB: Tre Norwood
S3: Javon Holland
S4: Xavier McKinney

Edited by SirA1

New Orleans Jazz

Motivation:

These guys beat us earlier in the season and we have a chance to clinch the no.1 seed while Death Valley are in the playoffs and have little to gain. Lets get revenge.

Offense (50% pass 50% run):

-        Focus of the game plan is running an offense focusing on ball control and limiting turnovers as we feel that if our offense can put points up, whether it’s in 3s or 7s. We should be able to force Death Valley into frequent 3 & Outs or turnovers and winning the TOP battle will also help our defense.

-        DV has a super talented defense, even if it lines up in a 3-4 base for some reason. Burns and Crosby are beasts and the interior is nasty. Even with an elite OL, we don’t want to have Allen constantly drop back so we’ll let our offensive line get on the front foot and push the pile forward with Conner who’s very good short-yardage back.

-        The run game will then be used to set the platform for our offense which will be dictated by Allen getting the ball in play-action situations or pistol/gun.

-        Hot reads will be the name of the game, with the idea that he’s getting the ball out quick to one of Beasley or Moore, allowing them do their work after the catch.

-        In particular both will be used on crossing, slant and out routes given their ability to make plays in traffic and while on the run or cutting.

-        Gesicki will be used as a seam splitter and moved around the field quite a bit. Part of committing to the run game will be spreading things out and ensuring that DV have to commit resources to the outside.

-        Hopkins on his return will run a full route tree – he’s one of the best in the game and we’re going to make use of him in that capacity now that he’s fit. If he’s left in single coverage, Allen will have the green light to toss it up to him.

-        Moore will also operate in a pretty diverse manner, both on shorter YAC type routes but also going deep and using his speed. If DV want to leave him in single coverage deep, we’ll take a few shots to keep the field stretched.

-        Conner or Coleman will often line-up in the backfield but be motioned outside, with the intention of dragging an LB to the outside. If they do remain in the backfield, they’ll be utilised on swing or wheel routes to help draw the LB from the middle.

-        For the most part we’re going to run 3 WR sets with Gesicki in at TE. Occasionally we’ll have 4 WR sets with Beasley in the slot, and Hilton, Hopkins and Moore at WR.

-        Lastly there’ll be a few designed runs and draws or pitch option plays for Allen. We suspect DV may try to flush Allen to the right, and to help ensure Allen is able to burn them that way, he’ll have his RB often line up to the left and we’ll throw in a few planned QB rushes to the left early with the option for Allen to toss once a edge-setting defender has been isolated. If DV wants to play the force Allen left game, we’ll be fully read for it and have a number of left side specific plays or play-action roll out plays faking a run left and Allen rolling out right escaping the sealing pressure.

Defense:

-        Usual rotation on the defensive line with no player playing more than 70% of the snaps and no player less than 30%.

-        Death Valley’s offense is down a number of its key playmakers and Stafford back is broken, but we’re not taking them lightly. Davis (if he plays), Gallup, Knox, Parker and Kirk while not gamebreakers by any stretch, are capable of making some plays.

-        Plan to play Wilkins on early downs with Simmons moving to DE and Bosa/JPP taking moving to the bench, before rotating in. Even if the backfield only features Peterson/Booker, we want to make sure that Stafford is continually throwing on 2nd and 3rd and long, where we’ll be able to take advantage of errant throws and turn them into picks and points (3 weeks in a row with a pick 6 I believe).

-        We will generally go with cover-2 man looks – we don’t want to be beaten deep and we’re confident that in single coverage  

-        Amos will generally play closer to the LOS while Hyde is deeper, however Amos will drop back on passing plays.

-        Standard coverage assignments will be as follows:

Gilmore – Davis/Parker
Bradberry – Gallup
J.C. Jackson - Kirk
Davis – Knox
Adams – Booker/Peterson

-        In 4 WR sets, Reed comes in for Adams as the 4th CB.

-        Jamal Adams will act as a 5th rusher quite often, either blitzing from the slot or a safety position or on the outside of Bosa/JPP. This is because we don’t expect the DV RBs will be used extensively in the passing game.

-        We also want to work in a number of stunts where JPP/Clowney and Simmons are lined up across one another given both have proven the ability to generate pressure and sacks when deployed in such a way. We feel this, along with Adams blitzing through the place of the stunt should be lead to some splash defensive plays.

Death Valley Nightmare

Offensive Gameplan

With Kamara out yet again we are going to use Jalen Guyton, Davonte Booker & Darrell Williams to create a run game.

First of all, we are slipping a Quad Formation play into our arsenal with Kirk as the intended target behind Knox, Davis, & Conklin; Gallup on the otherside of the formation.

We will also run a Reverse Statue of Liberty play (think 2008 Patriots), a Double Reverse Flea Flicker  & a Hook & Ladder.

We respect the secondary of New Orleans, having said that we intend to run some spread offense splitting Knox out side, Davis, Gallup, & Kirk as well, and Williams in the backfield. We want to use a lot of intermidate routes and screens as well as running with Williams/Booker to get guys in open space and neutralize any potential pass rush.
We will also use 3 WR sets and 2 TE Sets in this game. We also intend to use Dawson Knox in a couple of TE Screens as well as using Guyton in the wildcat a few times, one of which we will have him throw the ball (intended receiver will be Kirk or Knox).

We do intend to take some deep shots to Kirk, Davis, Gallup,  Parker  and Knox.

If Davis doesn't play, all WRs will shift up. If Parker doesn't play receivers below him will shift up.

Defensive Gameplan 

This week on defense we catch a big break as arguably New Orleans' most dynamic threat, Deebo Samuel, is out this week as well as their other top receiver, DeAndre Hopkins, is hobbled coming into this game. Because of these injuries as well as an overall underwhelming running game from New Orleans, we believe we can do enough this week to slow down this great offense. We will mainly be playing Cover-2 shells to limit deep plays while mixing in zone blitzes from our 3-4 look to confuse and limit Josh Allen.

We want to emulate the Week 9 Jaguars' defensive strategy from this year when they upset Allen and the Bills. For the most part, they stuck with a Cover-2 shell to limit the deep throw ability of Allen, and we will do the same. Our base coverage will be Cover-2 man with Darius Slay shadowing Hopkins, Carlton Davis covering D.J. Moore, and our linebackers taking Mike Gesicki and Jared Cook. We will mix in Cover-2 zone out of the same pre-snap shell.

We will mainly rush four this week. Maxx Crosby will be our main rusher out of our base set, but there will be mix ups to Brian Burns. We will also employ some zone blitzes, where both Crosby and Burns will rush off the edge while Cameron Heyward will drop into a flat. We feel that Allen hasn't yet evolved his game to include too many zone blitzes, and therefore we think this will add an extra layer of confusion.

In nickel, we will utilize a 2-4-5 with Javon Hargrave coming off the field for Rock Ya-Sin. Crosby and Burns will move to pure edge rushing. In dime, we will take Zaven Collins off the field.

IF Carlton Davis does not play, Rock Ya-Sin will replace him at #2

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The only injuries I have is Kamara ( I mean sure Henry is on IR but he has been there) the rest of that offense came into this game good to go

Corey Davis reinjured his hamstring he was questionable with all week in the first half. I consider that 

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

The only injuries I have is Kamara ( I mean sure Henry is on IR but he has been there) the rest of that offense came into this game good to go

Even still, having Henry and Kamara out is pretty significant. You're now stuck starting a guy who has five carries each of the past two weeks. You're also going up against one of the most talented teams in the league, particularly on defense, so it makes a big difference. I think the one dimensionalness of your offense is going to keep your scoring to a minimum against a tough, tough defense.

1 minute ago, rackcs said:

Even still, having Henry and Kamara out is pretty significant. You're now stuck starting a guy who has five carries each of the past two weeks. You're also going up against one of the most talented teams in the league, particularly on defense, so it makes a big difference. I think the one dimensionalness of your offense is going to keep your scoring to a minimum against a tough, tough defense.

Good thing my offense is utilizing a heavy passing attack

Just now, wwhickok said:

Good thing my offense is utilizing a heavy passing attack

The point is that because the running game is so poor, New Orleans is able to largely ignore it and focus their efforts on the passing game. And this is already a tough defense to pass against when they have to play more balanced.

2 minutes ago, rackcs said:

The point is that because the running game is so poor, New Orleans is able to largely ignore it and focus their efforts on the passing game. And this is already a tough defense to pass against when they have to play more balanced.

I get what you're saying despite the reality yet again Josh Allen had a mediocre game.

I find it comical that when the opposing QB of NOLA plays well and Allen doesn't, that is completely disregarded. But when Allen plays well, it's fantasy football matters all the way.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I get what you're saying despite the reality yet again Josh Allen had a mediocre game.

I find it comical that when the opposing QB of NOLA plays well and Allen doesn't, that is completely disregarded. But when Allen plays well, it's fantasy football matters all the way.

I never mentioned Stafford or Allen at all. My reasoning is about the roster beyond the QB, namely that New Orleans has probably the best defense this year and you have no running game this week. I've told you before I'm a Stafford believer, I think he'll do his best against a tough foe but without a good running game, it'll be easy for the defense to contain him. The DL can tee off on him and not worry as much about stopping the run. The back 7 doesn't have to worry about play action and can play further off the line.

Just now, rackcs said:

I never mentioned Stafford or Allen at all. My reasoning is about the roster beyond the QB, namely that New Orleans has probably the best defense this year and you have no running game this week. I've told you before I'm a Stafford believer, I think he'll do his best against a tough foe but without a good running game, it'll be easy for the defense to contain him. The DL can tee off on him and not worry as much about stopping the run. The back 7 doesn't have to worry about play action and can play further off the line.

That wasn't directed at you. I get what you're saying.

I came into this game knowing it didn't matter that I wrote a good Gameplan on offense and wicker wrote a good defense. It didn't make an ounce of difference.  

I've said this before, but NO's ability to lock down opposing WR's with those CB's is huge for allowing that defensive line to work. Without two of the most dominant RB's in football, NO can key in on Stafford.

I think an underrated thing in this one is Gesicki's ability to work the seam against a cover 2 heavy scheme as well.