2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd like to get another piece for the defense in free agency, just because I'm not a huge fan of relying on so much youth on defense, but honestly, I have no idea who I would be checking in on in the free agent market on defense. I've been beating the drum for Ross Cockrell given his strength in zone coverages. Don't love the defensive line options for the most part, but there are some interesting linebackers available. 

Our LB corps is nearly as bad as our CBs, particularly if Foster is going to miss a bunch of games due to discipine or injuries. I'd be happy though if we signed a guy that is simply a decent NFL starter rather than a star.  We can't afford stars at every position and LB is a spot where I think we can get by with an OK guy while we try to find and develop a draftee.

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd like to get another piece for the defense in free agency, just because I'm not a huge fan of relying on so much youth on defense, but honestly, I have no idea who I would be checking in on in the free agent market on defense. I've been beating the drum for Ross Cockrell given his strength in zone coverages. Don't love the defensive line options for the most part, but there are some interesting linebackers available. 

Don't forget we have Malcolm Smith coming back.  He was bad in Oakland but he is in the type of scheme he played well in.  And I'd assume a pick for a LB or a mid-tier signing like Poz is a possibility too.

Yeah, I don't want a monster guy at the linebacker as a signing. I'm really keen on Corey Nelson based on upside and special teams ability, though I don't know if he's good enough to be a starter. Still, there are quite a few really good "thumpers" available, and that's really all we need for the time being. On passing downs we could still kick Tartt to the money backer role and keep Smith / Foster (or a potential rookie like Roquan or Edmunds) on the field, so the thumper really only has to be a 2 down guy. 

4 minutes ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

Forgot we have Ward/Tartt as well at S.  Tartt can shift to LB with Ward playing the Earl Thomas role.

This is what I did in my mock as well (though I actually acquired Earl Thomas for the Earl Thomas role lol). I liked the way we used Reid in this role last year, and I love the idea of having crazy range at the safety spots between Ward and Colbert with Tartt down low. 

Wow, a little surprised we are still in on Butler. Apparently we weren't kidding about being active in FA. Lewis and Norwell make all the sense in the world. Butler is a bit surprising still. 

With the current cap space I'd say we can get ARob for around 10m per year and Norwell for 13-14m per.  That gives us 25 mil towards any depth signings(after factoring in draft picks, Sherman, ect).  I'd say another 8-10 mil for depth signings.  Would have 15+ mil to roll over.

2 minutes ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

With the current cap space I'd say we can get ARob for around 10m per year and Norwell for 13-14m per.  That gives us 25 mil towards any depth signings(after factoring in draft picks, Sherman, ect).  I'd say another 8-10 mil for depth signings.  Would have 15+ mil to roll over.

Robinson will get 13+ a year

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

Sadly true

Agree with this as well. Or we could also find depth players in free agency that slip through the cracks. I'd rather have Gabriel than Aldrick Robinson, and Aldrick is an easy cut that will save 2 million. Not sure what kind of market Moncrief will have, but if you can get him for 5 million per, that won't break the bank and add a really nice weapon who is still very young. But I do think that we may be targeting a deep wide receiver class in rounds 3/4. 

Archived