Armsteeld Mock Draft (Dec12)

armsteeld

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The only reason to draft a QB in the 1st round is if they are a franchise QB.  I do not think any of the QBs in this draft are franchise QBs.  That is why I would not take them.  As I said, Willis is high ceiling and low floor.  That is not a 1st round QB that a team should take.  Have teams taken them?  Sure.  Trey Lance, Wentz and Josh Allen come to mind.  I want a higher floor for a 1st round pick.  2nd round for Willis?  Love it.

Thing is, he won't last til our 2nd pick. So do you pull the trigger on round 1 and get the 5th year of eligibility? That's the pro and cons of drafting some players.

46 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Regarding the QBs in this class, what do you guys not like about them? I think Willis is better than Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, Lamar Jackson, Ryan Tannehill, the Giants QB, and a couple other high draft picks. The QB from Ole Miss is really good vs the blitz but he seems like he reads only half the field. I'm not a fan of Pickett and I have to catch up on others but this class seems the norm to me.

Willis is too small to make up for his extreme LOC, at least to me. If he was Josh Allen sized I’d take him. I am kind of intrigued by Desmond Ridder, though. 

42 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Thing is, he won't last til our 2nd pick. So do you pull the trigger on round 1 and get the 5th year of eligibility? That's the pro and cons of drafting some players.

If I am going to develop a QB I would go with Levis (Kentucky) in the 3rd or Kelly(SE Louisiana) in the 5th but that will not happen.  So they need to trade up in the 2nd to get him.  can't sit and wait for the QB to fall to them.

I'd be pretty happy if they went this way.

I think Willis is definitely interesting. I'd like him better in RD 2 (as an overall prospect). 
He has 'that' profile - incredible athlete, strong arm, great legs...not great accuracy.
He can throw a pretty deep ball, but where games are won, in between the markers, he's inconsistent.
The will be/should be that inevitable 'can you teach accuracy' debate with him.

I'd be ecstatic with Z.Johnson and D.Faalele in 2 and 3 (I think D.Faalele goes in 2 though).

I'd say waiting as long as you do for DL would be the only thing I think is disappointing.
If we did wait that long, I'd double up and not draft a third OL, as you have.

I like that you take two corners.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mwalker said:

I'd be pretty happy if they went this way.

I think Willis is definitely interesting. I'd like him better in RD 2 (as an overall prospect). 
He has 'that' profile - incredible athlete, strong arm, great legs...not great accuracy.
He can throw a pretty deep ball, but where games are won, in between the markers, he's inconsistent.
The will be/should be that inevitable 'can you teach accuracy' debate with him.

I'd be ecstatic with Z.Johnson and D.Faalele in 2 and 3 (I think D.Faalele goes in 2 though).

I'd say waiting as long as you do for DL would be the only thing I think is disappointing.
If we did wait that long, I'd double up and not draft a third OL, as you have.

I like that you take two corners.

With how Coach Tomlin plays his DL, I couldn't find that classic 3-4 DE the Steelers like. We play so much sub package football but I really want a huge guy like Ika from Baylor or Jordan Davis. Davis is so dominant between the A gaps!

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Charles Cross is my first round draft crush right now. Dear lord can he manhandle people in the run and be a brick wall in the pass. 

Cross is nice but how much better is he than Jamaree Salyers, Darian Kinnard, & Cade Mays? By selecting one of those guys in the 2nd or later, you still get a top quality OT but they also excel at playing Guard plus you can still get a top 20 player. I like our current LT and think he has a high ceiling.

2 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Cross is nice but how much better is he than Jamaree Salyers, Darian Kinnard, & Cade Mays? By selecting one of those guys in the 2nd or later, you still get a top quality OT but they also excel at playing Guard plus you can still get a top 20 player. I like our current LT and think he has a high ceiling.

Cross is likely going to test out a much better athlete. 

On 12/24/2021 at 2:51 PM, armsteeld said:

With how Coach Tomlin plays his DL, I couldn't find that classic 3-4 DE the Steelers like. We play so much sub package football but I really want a huge guy like Ika from Baylor or Jordan Davis. Davis is so dominant between the A gaps!

D.Leal from A&M would be a perfect 5 tech for us - but he and NT J.Davis, I think, will both be out of reach.
P.Winfrey could also play 5 tech, but he's an underachiever.
I think there are a few guys in mid rounds that are interesting.
Keanu Benton from Wisconsin and O.Ogbonnia from UCLA and PJ Mustipher, PSU.
IN later rounds, the big kid from Iowa St and the big kid from Arkansas.

On 12/27/2021 at 6:17 PM, mwalker said:

D.Leal from A&M would be a perfect 5 tech for us - but he and NT J.Davis, I think, will both be out of reach.
P.Winfrey could also play 5 tech, but he's an underachiever.
I think there are a few guys in mid rounds that are interesting.
Keanu Benton from Wisconsin and O.Ogbonnia from UCLA and PJ Mustipher, PSU.
IN later rounds, the big kid from Iowa St and the big kid from Arkansas.

Leal doesn't really move the needle for me. He's a good mover but he doesn't excel at any one thing. Davis is everything and more you want in a run-stuffling NT. He is Casey Hampton with wheels. Not a passrusher but he can legit play sideline to sideline. It's hard to handle him with a double team much less solo block. His ability to stack, she'd, and get to the ball is the best in this DL class 

21 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Leal doesn't really move the needle for me. He's a good mover but he doesn't excel at any one thing. Davis is everything and more you want in a run-stuffling NT. He is Casey Hampton with wheels. Not a passrusher but he can legit play sideline to sideline. It's hard to handle him with a double team much less solo block. His ability to stack, she'd, and get to the ball is the best in this DL class 

I like the idea of a NT built like Davis. I think slightly taller guys, with longer arms are better for that position now. Little stubby guys, like Hampton, are a dime a dozen. The taller guys can slide up and down the line and beat longer armed offensive tackles. I like Davis, but he wouldn’t be my favorite 1st rounder. I like some of the guy at premium positions a little more, but I wouldn’t be upset with Davis. 

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

I don't disagree...if Davis is there he'd be great for us. But I think he's gone.