BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I subscribe to the greatest golf quote of all time:

"It's a game that can't be won; only played."

~The Legend of Bagger Vance

As someone who doesn't really watch and doesn't play golf, I agree with that quote.

I think golfers are competing against themselves just as much if not more than they are competing against the  Other golfers. These golfers are always trying to is trying to beat their last round, Always trying to achieve a new high. I guess that you could say that about any sport but In my opinion the difference is the high the high in golf is never obtainable because it's always changing, The moment you think that you've got there it goes higher. You are always chasing something or someone but more importantly always competing with yourself

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

As someone who doesn't really watch and doesn't play golf, I agree with that quote.

I think golfers are competing against themselves just as much if not more than they are competing against the  Other golfers. These golfers are always trying to is trying to beat their last round, Always trying to achieve a new high. I guess that you could say that about any sport but In my opinion the difference is the high the high in golf is never obtainable because it's always changing, The moment you think that you've got there it goes higher. You are always chasing something or someone but more importantly always competing with yourself

For sure. That and you are playing certain things differently shot to shot and situation by situation. Sometimes a bogey isn't a bad score if you shank your drive into the woods and have to punch out...or if you hit a ball into the water.

Sometimes par is a bad score if you hit a ball within 8 feet of the hole and miss a putt.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

For sure. That and you are playing certain things differently shot to shot and situation by situation. Sometimes a bogey isn't a bad score if you shank your drive into the woods and have to punch out...or if you hit a ball into the water.

Sometimes par is a bad score if you hit a ball within 8 feet of the hole and miss a putt.

I would also make the argument when you look at these tournaments, That if you look at each tournament day-by-day instead of as an entirety, It is absolutely possible to win a tournament without winning the game.

• Like 1

Just now, wwhickok said:

I would also make the argument when you look at these tournaments, That if you look at each tournament day-by-day instead of as an entirety, It is absolutely possible to win a tournament without winning the game.

For sure. And the flipside holds true too. I've seen dudes go for 1st and end up costing themselves down the stretch out of necessity, whereas I've also seen dudes who sink some "meaningless" putts in those tournaments but win a TON of money based upon where they place.

You can see some dudes have colossal meltdowns and rise to the occasion in others.

I mean, I'm a novice, but I went out and shot an 83 this summer, just in the groove, and yet I went out last week and carded a 10 and a 9 on 2 par fives, losing like 3-4 balls and just having a couple of isolated miserable holes that wreck your score.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

Baseball is hands down the most boring game to watch when your team sucks. It is only good quality when your team can be competitive. 

Not true.  The beauty of baseball is that a hot pitcher can completely turn around a bad team's chances on any particular day.  If your basketball team is awful, you're screwed.  Even if someone randomly gets hot, they'll just start double teaming him

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Not true.  The beauty of baseball is that a hot pitcher can completely turn around a bad team's chances on any particular day.  If your basketball team is awful, you're screwed.  Even if someone randomly gets hot, they'll just start double teaming him

I'll respectively disagree. 

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

In baseball, every team wins 60, every team loses 60, so the beauty is the 42 games in between. In basketball, you'll have teams lose an absurd % of what they play comparatively.

In general the games are very boring when your team sucks. You usually don't get much offense and need to hope you have a good defensive day. At least basketball has some action. You may have more wins sprinkled in but you'll have to go through a lot more boredom.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

In general the games are very boring when your team sucks. You usually don't get much offense and need to hope you have a good defensive day. At least basketball has some action. You may have more wins sprinkled in but you'll have to go through a lot more boredom.

I guess it depends on how you define boredom. A win is not boring IMO, whereas in the NBA if I have to watch the LeBron-less Cavs circa 2012 play the Mavericks/Heat, it's going to be an autoloss where you get boat raced by 30-50+.