BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I'm just looking forward to this deal blowing up in San Francisco's face because there's no way Carolina trades him unless they think he's done.

McCaffrey, Deebo, Aiyuk, and Kittle with a solid OL and very good defense.

And Jimmy G.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

McCaffrey, Deebo, Aiyuk, and Kittle with a solid OL and very good defense.

And Jimmy G.

All of that they're still a below-average scoring offense and worse than Green Bay in YPG.

Not to mention the whole point of Kyle Shanahan's offense is that the running back position is completely replaceable.

But my main point is that Carolina saves practically nothing against the cap by trading him, and the assets they got in return do nothing to help them land a star rookie QB. The odds that those picks turn into players who are more effective/helpful than a healthy Christian McCaffrey are very, very low.

Edited by Blue

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

All of that they're still a below-average scoring offense and worse than Green Bay in YPG.

Not to mention the whole point of Kyle Shanahan's offense is that the running back position is completely replaceable.

But my main point is that Carolina saves practically nothing against the cap by trading him, and the assets they got in return do nothing to help them land a star rookie QB. The odds that those picks turn into players who are more effective/helpful than a healthy Christian McCaffrey are very, very low.

Yeah, Carolina paid most of McCaffrey's salary for this year and his contract isn't guaranteed after this season.  And the assets could help them move up if need be for a QB or surround the QB with an OL(assuming future BDL Superstud Matt Corral isn't the answer).  And the odd that any pick turns into a player who is more helpful/effective than a healthy McCaffrey is low, the dude is a beast when healthy. 

I don't disagree with the overall point, but I think it was the right move by Carolina.  They weren't getting a 1st for him.

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Yeah, Carolina paid most of McCaffrey's salary for this year and his contract isn't guaranteed after this season.  And the assets could help them move up if need be for a QB or surround the QB with an OL(assuming future BDL Superstud Matt Corral isn't the answer).  And the odd that any pick turns into a player who is more helpful/effective than a healthy McCaffrey is low, the dude is a beast when healthy. 

I don't disagree with the overall point, but I think it was the right move by Carolina.  They weren't getting a 1st for him.

That from Overthecap? Spotrac shows him having $18mil in dead cap next year.

But no, those assets aren't moving the needle for anyone ahead of Carolina in the draft. Even if San Francisco doesn't make the playoffs, the highest pick of the bunch is likely to be in the late 40s or early 50s. That might be enough to move up a single spot if (when) the Panthers are drafting in the top 5.

13 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm just looking forward to this deal blowing up in San Francisco's face because there's no way Carolina trades him unless they think he's done.

This isn't fantasy. Carolina knows they are bad and can't wait to get good with his contract and ticking RB clock. They had to move him and now that they are actually bad and some teams came calling. Heck look at the standings, many teams feel they can get back in it with a talent like his and have him going forward for a championship window. The reason they didn't get a 1st for him was because he is a RB with a big contract they need to get out of with injury history. The 2nd rounder will probably be in the 50s.

Just now, LAOJoe said:

This isn't fantasy. Carolina knows they are bad and can't wait to get good with his contract and ticking RB clock.

A healthy McCaffrey is going to help their next rookie QB a whole lot more than anybody they get with those picks. They don't move him if they think he's going to hold up. That's my point.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

Ekwonu, Moton, and...who am I forgetting?

Corbett. EDIT: Well him or Christensen. Could argue they have their offensive line of the future already in place apart from center.

Edited by Blue
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

That from Overthecap? Spotrac shows him having $18mil in dead cap next year.

But no, those assets aren't moving the needle for anyone ahead of Carolina in the draft. Even if San Francisco doesn't make the playoffs, the highest pick of the bunch is likely to be in the late 40s or early 50s. That might be enough to move up a single spot if (when) the Panthers are drafting in the top 5.

It was from the Athletic article on the trade.

That's fair actually. 

• Like 1