BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

5 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

They will and the SEC bias will get them the love. They also beat Bama which isn't looking as good now but UCLA and USC need to ball forward for Oregon to get that shot if TCU wins out.

Oregon's resume will be much, much better if USC and UCLA beat the teams they should (i.e., everyone but each other) the rest of the way. It would clearly be Oregon in over Tennessee if they both win out.

• Like 1

Just now, Jlash said:

At like 165 lbs he'd get WORKHORSE amounts of carries for that team.

I still don’t know how he didn’t win the Heisman. 

Fun fact,  he grew up a KU fan and wanted to go there.    They told him he could try for a walk on spot if he wanted, but he was to small to waste a spot on.     

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

Oregon's resume will be much, much better if USC and UCLA beat the teams they should (i.e., everyone but each other) the rest of the way. It would clearly be Oregon in over Tennessee if they both win out.

They will need UCLA to win out or only lose to USC who wins out themselves. If not Tennessee beating Bama, LSU, UK could be enough. The SEC bias is real.

Just now, LAOJoe said:

They will need UCLA to win out or only lose to USC who wins out themselves.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

Tennessee beating 3-loss Kentucky with a hobbled QB means nothing. Beating LSU and Bama is roughly on par with beating USC and UCLA or UCLA twice, and Oregon would also have wins over Utah, Washington, and Oregon State.

Tennessee playing in a terribly weak SEC East is not doing them favors here, and losing to Georgia more recently than Oregon did won't either. It's not like Tennessee was flying across the country with a transfer QB and a first-year head coach in the first game of the season, either. The committee has been very consistent on "what have you done lately" when putting out their polls and largely ignoring Week 1 results. No one is looking at how Oregon is playing now and thinking that they'd get thrashed by Georgia on a neutral field like they did Week 1.

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

Tennessee beating 3-loss Kentucky with a hobbled QB means nothing. Beating LSU and Bama is roughly on par with beating USC and UCLA or UCLA twice, and Oregon would also have wins over Utah, Washington, and Oregon State.

Tennessee playing in a terribly weak SEC East is not doing them favors here, and losing to Georgia more recently than Oregon did won't either. It's not like Tennessee was flying across the country with a transfer QB and a first-year head coach in the first game of the season, either. The committee has been very consistent on "what have you done lately" when putting out their polls and largely ignoring Week 1 results. No one is looking at how Oregon is playing now and thinking that they'd get thrashed by Georgia on a neutral field like they did Week 1.

Hobbled QB or not means nothing. It's conveniently ignored. That's the nature of this corrupt product. Oregon will get a real look but we are also looking at Tennessee ending the season with 2 possible top 10 wins and a loss to #1. That's compelling, even if the teams they beat that will be in the top 10 could end up overrated.

13 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Of course if Michigan runs the table, that whole argument is moot cause they'll put big name Ohio St in too 

I'm going to the game next week. I'll probably be one of the idiots wearing a Huskers jersey (if it still fits).

6 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

Hobbled QB or not means nothing. It's conveniently ignored. That's the nature of this corrupt product. Oregon will get a real look but we are also looking at Tennessee ending the season with 2 possible top 10 wins and a loss to #1. That's compelling, even if the teams they beat that will be in the top 10 could end up overrated.

I don't see how they'll have two top ten wins and a loss to number one.  Georgia will have to beat Bama or LSU for the Sec title giving one of them three losses or eliminating GA from number one 

• Like 1

Just now, bcb1213 said:

I don't see how they'll have two top ten wins and a loss to number one.  Georgia will have to beat Bama or LSU for the Sec title giving one of them three losses or eliminating GA from number one 

Teams losing in the extra game rarely get dinged too much in the polls when it's vs a highly ranked team. Bama and LSU could easily both be in the top 10 at the end of the season if neither loses again (except LSU to UGA in the SECCG).

56 minutes ago, Blue said:

lol Tennessee got its **** kicked in, nobody is going to care what the margin of victory was in either of those games. Oregon will have a drastically better resume if both teams win out.

Thats not true at all.  Itll be real close, and conference champ probably goes in,, but no way a one loss Oregon team has a drastically better resume than a one loss Tennessee team.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

Hobbled QB or not means nothing. It's conveniently ignored.

No it's not, lol.

17 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

Teams losing in the extra game rarely get dinged too much in the polls when it's vs a highly ranked team.

They always get knocked out of playoff contention unless they were unbeaten going in.

16 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Thats not true at all.  Itll be real close, and conference champ probably goes in,, but no way a one loss Oregon team has a drastically better resume than a one loss Tennessee team.

Doesn't have to be drastic, just clear-cut. Which it would be.

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

They always get knocked out of playoff contention unless they were unbeaten going in.

I'm talking about being in the top 10. If LSU loses to Georgia to go to 10-3 they likely stay ahead of a 10-2 Alabama and both are in the top 10. That would be 2 top 10 wins for Tennessee and a loss to #1. Oregon may not be able to say that if USC/UCLA don't help them.

1 minute ago, LAOJoe said:

I'm talking about being in the top 10. If LSU loses to Georgia to go to 10-3 they likely stay ahead of a 10-2 Alabama and both are in the top 10. That would be 2 top 10 wins for Tennessee and a loss to #1. Oregon may not be able to say that if USC/UCLA don't help them.

3-loss LSU wouldn't stay ahead of a 2-loss Bama and it's possible (but very unlikely) neither are in the top 10 at that point, too. Even then, you're banking on the committee giving a **** about a fairly arbitrary cut-off point of top 10 versus, what, top 12? They don't care about that.

Y'all seem to just be looking at the conference and a single common opponent when that's not the only thing that matters.

Oregon is going to play some very good teams, including at least one ranked team, in its last three games. Tennessee isn't.

Tennessee, Clemson, and Alabama are all going to drop in the polls after tonight. Oregon (and their two biggest conference opponents) is going to move up.

Oregon gets a conference title game, against a ranked opponent, to impress the voters at the end of the season. Tennessee isn't.

Ultimately I don't think it matters because somebody in this conversation will lose before then (probably Oregon), but there are a lot more factors here than you seem willing to acknowledge. A 1-loss Pac-12 champ is getting in over Tennessee. That is a stone-cold fact given what the current rankings are. You're just not going to see a 1-loss team that didn't win their conference get in over one that did unless they lost in the title game.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

3-loss LSU wouldn't stay ahead of a 2-loss Bama and it's possible (but very unlikely) neither are in the top 10 at that point, too. Even then, you're banking on the committee giving a **** about a fairly arbitrary cut-off point of top 10 versus, what, top 12? They don't care about that.

Y'all seem to just be looking at the conference and a single common opponent when that's not the only thing that matters.

Oregon is going to play some very good teams, including at least one ranked team, in its last three games. Tennessee isn't.

Tennessee, Clemson, and Alabama are all going to drop in the polls after tonight. Oregon (and their two biggest conference opponents) is going to move up.

Oregon gets a conference title game, against a ranked opponent, to impress the voters at the end of the season. Tennessee isn't.

Ultimately I don't think it matters because somebody in this conversation will lose before then (probably Oregon), but there are a lot more factors here than you seem willing to acknowledge. A 1-loss Pac-12 champ is getting in over Tennessee. That is a stone-cold fact given what the current rankings are. You're just not going to see a 1-loss team that didn't win their conference get in over one that did unless they lost in the title game.

Would you take Clemson over Tennessee then?