BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

holy **** Hue Jackson is apparently claiming he was paid to tank too, would explain how he got a second season in Cleveland

Leave it to Hue to completely bone the Browns years after he was already gone. As if sucking as a HC and leaking information to Silver for years isn't enough. There's only one real image fitting enough for this man:

1519796950272?e=2159024400&v=beta&t=8G3O

(This is legit, not joking)

@Ragnarok I thought you'd particularly enjoy this

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

holy **** Hue Jackson is apparently claiming he was paid to tank too, would explain how he got a second season in Cleveland

Says he's got all the correspondence to prove it as well. Would be massive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Leave it to Hue to completely bone the Browns years after he was already gone. As if sucking as a HC and leaking information to Silver for years isn't enough. There's only one real image fitting enough for this man:

1519796950272?e=2159024400&v=beta&t=8G3O

(This is legit, not joking)

@Ragnarok I thought you'd particularly enjoy this

If he can save anyone from being near Cleveland, he's a hero.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Says he's got all the correspondence to prove it as well. Would be massive.

I've wanted Truckstop Jimmy in prison for 5 years. He should have nuked it all back then while we still sucked. To do this now would just be the most Browns thing EVER.

• Like 1

Man, just found this kid who worked with me a few years ago who left to be a marine got arrested at the San Diego Zoo a couple days ago for derailing the gondola and stranding hundreds of people for hours. I'd imagine he'll be getting booted from the Marines. Dummy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

all that said, tanking in the NFL is really, really dumb because there simply isn't the sure-fire prospect hit rate in football that there is in, say, basketball

Yes and No, as it depends upon what you call tanking.

The Browns absolutely went all in on it over a 3 year process, starting with dealing the #2 overall pick and trading down a ton when the Eagles took Wentz.

They then proceeded to deal away a lot of players, trade for Osweiler for a 2nd round pick (who they got Chubb with), dumped salary, ended up with a cache of about 5 1st Rounders and 2 #1 overall picks as a result, and then used the analytical "quantitative" more draft picks = more chances of hitting (as you pointed out, that sure fire prospect doesn't exist in football).

...whereas a team like the Bengals just got lucky in landing Burrow

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I've wanted Truckstop Jimmy in prison for 5 years. He should have nuked it all back then while we still sucked. To do this now would just be the most Browns thing EVER.

Every time I see another team's fans complaining about their owner, I thank fortune that Green Bay doesn't have one, then I realize that if we did have an owner, they probably would have forced Mike McCarthy to fire Dom Capers years earlier and/or our current special teams coordinator after the Cincinnati game

• Like 1

Just now, Blue said:

Every time I see another team's fans complaining about their owner, I thank fortune that Green Bay doesn't have one, then I realize that if we did have an owner, they probably would have forced Mike McCarthy to fire Dom Capers years earlier and/or our current special teams coordinator after the Cincinnati game

You want this, here is irony:

My Grandpa was a diehard Browns fan. After Modell came in and took over, he said "Uh oh, I don't like this whole owner concept. This is scary."

You have to keep in mind, he won a National Title at OSU and then served honorably in WWII after being drafted into the Navy. Upon his return, he left and formed the Browns.

All he did was WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS and then he started to occasionally LOSE THEM when the league expanded. It's still absurd to me that they weren't called Super Bowls until later, because the same trophy the Jets got for Super Bowl 3 is the same trophy the Browns got for theirs in '64, but whatever.

Since he now suddenly "couldn't win the big one", he was fired, as well as a vehement disagreement about whether or not Ernie Davis should play with Leukemia (guess which side Modell was on?).

After that, my Grandpa BAILED on the Browns and became a Bengals fan due to Paul Brown. My dad stayed a Browns fan, because he was a stupid little kid, and here I am today.

Oh and for the record, Modell proceeded to fire BILL BELICHICK as his first act as the owner of the Baltimore Ravens.

That's right...he fired 2 of the 3 best coaches in NFL History, and moved the team from the most loyal fanbase in the NFL (shout out to about 3-5 others to be fair), but thankfully he was "a groundbreaking owner".

My dad called my grandpa and apologized and told him he was right the day after the move was announced.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yes and No, as it depends upon what you call tanking.

The Browns absolutely went all in on it over a 3 year process, starting with dealing the #2 overall pick and trading down a ton when the Eagles took Wentz.

They then proceeded to deal away a lot of players, trade for Osweiler for a 2nd round pick (who they got Chubb with), dumped salary, ended up with a cache of about 5 1st Rounders and 2 #1 overall picks as a result, and then used the analytical "quantitative" more draft picks = more chances of hitting (as you pointed out, that sure fire prospect doesn't exist in football).

...whereas a team like the Bengals just got lucky in landing Burrow

Which are all smart moves in a vacuum, even though the picks didn't really pan out for the most part.

What I mean is that, for as valuable as the QB position is in the NFL, his impact on the game does not equal that of a LeBron James or Giannis Antetokounmpo. On top of that, football is a slower-paced game where scheme and coaching matters more on a play-to-play basis (at least IMO).

Obviously, you need talent to be successful in any sport, but I don't think there's any major US sport that has it easier than the NFL in acquiring that talent without having top draft capital. Teams like the Packers, Ravens, and Steelers routinely land elite players while drafting outside the top 20, let alone the top 5. Meanwhile, Detroit landed three top-2 players in 4 years at important positions, had every single one of them meet if not exceed expectations, and struggled to barely make the playoffs let alone win a playoff game with them.

Edited by Blue
  • Like 1

Just now, Blue said:

Which are all smart moves in a vacuum, even though the picks didn't really pan out for the most part.

Correct, although I would still say that:

You have to keep in mind, technically Denzel Ward was a part of that initial Wentz trade. While Corey Coleman, a bunch of those other D2/D3 picks didn't work out, it did net them a future #1, and they traded back AGAIN, landing them Jabril Peppers (trade for OBJ and Olivier Vernon...and Vernon at least was good) and an additional first (Denzel Ward).

So yeah, as much as they whiffed on Coleman and a bunch of other crap, they at least got a multiple time pro bowl CB out of it.

Just now, Blue said:

What I mean is that, for as valuable as the QB position is in the NFL, his impact on the game does not equal that of a LeBron James or Giannis Antetokounmpo. On top of that, football is a slower-paced game where scheme and coaching matters more on a play-to-play basis (at least IMO).

Absolutely agreed. It's a 22 man game as opposed to 5 as well, so that is vastly different.

Just now, Blue said:

Obviously, you need talent to be successful in any sport, but I don't think there's any major US sport that has it easier than the NFL in doing that without having top draft capital. Teams like the Packers, Ravens, and Steelers routinely land elite players while drafting outside the top 20, let alone the top 5. Meanwhile, Detroit landed three top-2 players in 4 years at important positions, had every single one of them meet if not exceed expectations, and struggled to barely make the playoffs let alone win a playoff game with them.

I mean, the Rams haven't had a first round pick since Barack Obama was in office...six drafts. LOL 

• Like 1