BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

9 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Just thought you could use the help elsewhere. Next time I’ll mock you Garrett Wilson I know you love him

Oh I can definitely use help elsewhere.

If my BB shakes out EXACTLY how it sits I'd end up with two trenchmen for my picks.

Just now, Scoundrel said:

Maybe with your second. I’d be shocked if Jermaine gets to your second. I mean he could but he shouldn’t. 

Lol he’s going top ten. If critics aren’t intrigued yet, wait until the combine. I think the only viable red flag is he’ll be 24 years old before week 1. I’m unsure how old he actually be though.

10 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

1. Cancun- Kayvon Thibodeaux Edge Oregon

KT has taken a hit recently in mocks as I’ve seen him even drop to the Falcons at 8. To me it’s just typical analyst boredom at this point where they get tired of the same thing over and over as we are also starting to see some Charles Cross love at 1 to the Jags. Kayvon is still my top player in this class and provides Cancun with a possible top pass rushing talent. They added Judon but having KT gives them added flexibility with their edge players. They have enough ammo that if they wanted to trade back up for Hamilton they possibly could. 

2. Anchorage- Evan Neal OT Bama

Now of course Hutch is sitting right here but the thing for me lately is realizing how deep this edge class is and wanting an edge with the protypical measurements. This includes at least 33” arms as most with under don’t pan out and what I decided to really emphasize last season with my Ojulari pick. Now I know Parsons has less than that and had success as an edge rusher but he’s a LBer first and foremost. Hutch is rumored to have under 33” arms and as stupid as it sounds it really is an issue for me especially after taking Chaisson and his short arms. Like 33” and above is fine (Bosa and Watt both under 33.5” but 33” or above). Furthermore I like my edge depth more than most. Greenard had 8 sacks in his second season, Ojulari had 8 as a rookie, Bradley Chubb is back and hopefully healthy, I may 3up Hubbard as he is one of my favorite players on my roster and a homegrown talent and I will use Micah some off the edge. For me that doesn’t scream immediate need for me at 2 and with the depth in the class 7 or 9 might be better value. So now comes the pick of Neal. Havenstein has one year left on his deal, Andrew Thomas took a major step and DJ Humphries is a solid player. I need more though and Neal could really form a book end duo of the future with Thomas and protect my QBs. Only hesitation is the Jags possible pick of Neal. We will see. 

3. Gotham- Aidan Hutchinson Edge UM

With the draft not having a consensus number one player I liked the move by Gotham to add some picks to help build the team in their image and still land one of their top 3 guys. Enter Hutch here who gives Gotham a productive edge presence. Despite the short arms Hutch has a lot of technical ability and has some athleticism that could make him successful. He has a motor that never quits and maybe the arm thing isn’t as big a deal to Whicker.  This pick is an important one to get right for Gotham and building the trenches is always a good idea. 

4. Antarctica- Kyle Hamilton S ND

Now CB should get consideration here but there should be some good talent available in the 2nd for Antarctica. There isn’t a second Kyle Hamilton in this class. Could argue he is the top player in the class just plays a less important position. Well Ant wanted Hamsah to play a nickel backer position but he was hurt. Enter Kyle who can play any safety position and do just about anything in the secondary. They likely 3up Lattimore and hope Okudah steps up while addressing corner in the 2nd. Edge is another big area but with the deep class later picks plus FA seems like the way to go for Ant. 

5. Rome- Charles Cross OT Miss State

Now Rome will 3up at least one of their star RT’s if not both but Tyron will need a replacement soon. Enter Cross.  He has the ability to be one of the best pass blocking OT’s in the league and would make for a wonderful transition for Rome. Ikem might get more love but with the possibility of him moving to G or RT which Rome already has they go with the pure LT here. Edge like Karlaftis, CB like Gardner, or WR like Burks are also possibilities for Rome at this pick. 

6. Lancaster- Ikem Ekwonu OL NC State

I think Rack would really like to trot out a trio at WR of Pittman, Diontae and Burks. However Oline is a huge need for them. If Rack is really not in on competing this season though I would lean toward Burks. He does however have Curtis Samuel and Quez Watkins who could both be solid number 3’s in this offense. I’ll go with the smartest play here which is to add the nasty Ekwonu to his line where he could use help at both tackle spots and even at RG. Wherever Ekwonu plays in the NFL he could find a spot in Lancaster whether G or T.

7. Anchorage- Sauce Gardner CB Cincinnati 

I get the Sauce here. I really like my young corner group but as I say you can never have enough corners in this league. Adding Sauce’s size with Surtain really gives me some matchup flexibility as I also have Jaylon Johnson and Kristian Fulton to play outside with Chauncey Gardner and Murphy Bunting as my nickel options. This is the kind of upside and depth I would really like to have at the position. Sauce falls out of the top 5 much to Blues approval but I don’t let him get too far down the board. With likely 3 upping Jessie Bates to bring him back with Budda, Kam Curl, and Caden Sterns while also adding Brandon Jones this offseason to my safety group my secondary would be in good shape. 

8. Cuba- Treylon Burks WR Arkansas 

Despite some of the comments made by Frogs about Stingley I still think he would get major consideration here. However Burks gives the Cuba offense a whole different element and makes for quite a weapon paired with Jefferson, Chark (once 3 upped), and Rondale. This will give whoever the Cuba QB is a variation in receiving targets and allow Frogs to be very creative in offensive gameplan design. Burks is a similar player to AJ Brown and can bring that jump ball physical presence to the Cuba passing game.  

9. Jermaine Johnson ll Edge FSU

Now I likely catch flack for this pick before Karlaftis and Ojabo but Johnson reminds me a lot of Jaelen Phillips who was 9th on my board last year. A well built Edge player who can do it all and has a tremendous motor. He has the length, enough bend, and physical power to be able to be an every down end and become a factor early in our edge rotation. Even though I went Sauce earlier Stingley would get heavy consideration here. Ultimately I go with the front 7 player I believe can really boost my defense. 

10. IC- Derek Stingley CB LSU

I don’t think IC has this pick when the draft starts. But for now they go BPA. They have an abundance of young corners Diggs, Terrell, Newsome, Farley... but Ruskie is truly a BPA guy and the player with the most upside on the board is Stingley. He has a lot of risk but Ruskie has shown the willingness to gamble on that (Farley). Garrett Wilson or Jameson Williams might be close to BPA here at a position of need but for now staying true to who the GM is, Stingley gets the nod at 10. If Stingley plays up to his potential and Farley can get healthy IC is five deep at a position of great importance with youth and talent. Now if they free up some cap (which they will with 3 downs left) going need might be the shift in focus for Ruskie this year:

11. Raleigh- David Ojabo Edge UM

Raleigh is going to be in a tough spot here. After the draft they have a bit over 22.5k. Which isn’t a desperate as some cap situations but they have yet to bring back McCaffrey or Mike Williams either of which is going to take a big chunk out of that number. Two biggest areas of need are Edge and a third WR (depending how you view Woods coming off an injury as a #2, and assuming they resign McCaffrey). With a Star like Adams as your number one and Mark Andrews as the #2 or #3 target in the offense Edge is the biggest need. Now at this point it’s Karlaftis or Ojabo. Ojabo offers he greater pass rushing upside but will need to improve against the run. Raleigh gambles on the physical traits and upside here and go with Ojabo.

12. Seoul- Kaiir Elam CB UF

Seoul has some young talent at CB in Adebo and Hobbs to pair with Awuzie. They add to the group with the big physical Elam. Son of former NFL safety Abram Elam and Nephew of Matt Elam, Kaiir looks to have better nfl success. Trent McDuffie is an option here as well if RG views nickel as a great need (McDuffie has inside out ability) as his other corners all have good size. I have him choosing the upside of Elam and helping grow his corner room with the Gator. 

13. Camden- George Karlaftis Edge Purdue

I am not sure if GK has the Swag Jlash would want but I think he is going to test better than some expect. With their big 3 edge rushers having 1 year left on their deals and not knowing what they have yet in Ossai or Elerson Smith it makes sense for Camden to address the position here. GK has a power game that allows him to be a good all around player. He doesn’t have the length of some of the other ends but he has heavy hands and he gets a lot of pressure. He is a handful for tackles with his power and is still young (turns 21 in April). There is some upside here and this is good value at pick 13.

14. Camden- Andrew Booth Jr CB Clemson

Camden does not have many needs so adding a CB that plays with attitude could be the move here. Camden has some young talent already at the position but Booth is going to test extremely well and plays with a swagger that you want out of your corners. McDuffie is another option at the position and it really is a pick your poison at this point. Linderbaum was a consideration as he has a very good Center still for 2 more years I thought Jlash wouldn’t want to look that far in advance. He has three very good receivers with some talent waiting in the wings. Nakobe Dean is a consideration as well. At the end though Booth wins out.

15. Seoul- Travon Walker Edge UGA

Seoul has some young edge talent but they really need to continue to add to the group especially after trading Judon. Walker is a powerful edge player who is still developing but has all the physical traits one could want in their edge. He across from Tryon should give Seoul a formidable young Edge tandem with other young edge players rotating in. 

16. Berlin- Jameson Williams WR Bama 

Berlin is going to have some tough decisions at this spot. Dean, McDuffie, Wilson or Williams. I know Rags wishes he had multiple picks right here. If Rags does trade Rodgers like I believe will happen I think he is more inclined to take Jameson even with his injury. I believe he will have an earlier pick in this round to address one of the other positions of need/want. 

I’ll try to finish the rest tomorrow. 

Re: my cap. I still have a 3 down to use and 1 3up to assign. I think they will pretty much cancel each other out and what I have will be around what I head into FA with 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Lol he’s going top ten. If critics aren’t intrigued yet, wait until the combine. I think the only viable red flag is he’ll be 24 years old before week 1. I’m unsure how old he actually be though.

He actually just turned 23 in January. January 7th to be exact. He’s only a year older than Ojabo who I consider much more raw. At age 23 he’s still young enough to be worth the immediate impact I predict he has.

Just now, EaglesPeteC said:

Did I disagree there? I am just commenting on what you were saying about me having to spend a good chunk of my remaining cap to 3 up McCaffrey. I don’t 

Yes you do. It’s still a big chunk of it. And you have quite a few needs elsewhere to fill also. 

2 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Wouldn’t be shocked if he was the best edge in this class when all is said and done

He’s better then Brian Burns coming out. I haven’t seen someone as skilled as Johnson leaving FSU at edge in the last 12 years.