3 mocks, 3 philosophies

warfelg

15 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I agree with you. I would prefer the mean  mauling style of OL's. I think they need to go in that direction. That said Linderbaum is not an ideal mauler, but I don't think he would be in a liability either. I see him getting bigger and stronger. He is a more natural C than Green. 

I don't understand the more natural at center part.  He has more experience than Green.  Green played one year of college ball at center and now one year in the pros.   He shows good qualities of a center with the movement ability.  Where Linderbaum is better is resetting his feet.

I am not sure if you remember the warnings I gave in the last draft about the OTs.  Going into this draft that have 2 OTs under contract.  Banner and Moore.  They have one OG ( Dotson) and one center (Green).  They could draft any Oline in the 1st.  They will be signing Oline FA but they really need to spend to get a starter and not just depth.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I don't understand the more natural at center part.  He has more experience than Green.  Green played one year of college ball at center and now one year in the pros.   He shows good qualities of a center with the movement ability.  Where Linderbaum is better is resetting his feet.

I am not sure if you remember the warnings I gave in the last draft about the OTs.  Going into this draft that have 2 OTs under contract.  Banner and Moore.  They have one OG ( Dotson) and one center (Green).  They could draft any Oline in the 1st.  They will be signing Oline FA but they really need to spend to get a starter and not just depth.

They should go into FA with the thought of getting 2 solid tier starters...not sure of that happens though....might depends on how much they wanna cut ties with Banner and Haeg.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I don't understand the more natural at center part.  He has more experience than Green.  Green played one year of college ball at center and now one year in the pros.

Because he (Linderbaum) is a more natural OC in terms of size, abilities, playing style, and experience. Green has more experience at OG and is far more comfortable and natural by size, style, fit, etc. Green has struggled to adjust to playing Center as he is just not comfortable playing there yet. 

Green reminds me of Pouncey in some regards. As good as many people applauded Pouncey as a C, I think he would have been at least top three in terms of being a OG. Pouncey's ability to move, pull, and get to the next level screamed OG to me.  

The draft is funny as Linderbaum will probably have a higher draft grade than ANY (including Dickerson & Humphrey) of the Centers who came out last year.

He shows good qualities of a center with the movement ability.  Where Linderbaum is better is resetting his feet.

Not disagreeing or disputing any of this. I think Pouncey would have been a better OG than C and I feel that way about Green.  I always felt that Willie Colon should have been a OG. I remember having a similar conversation and when he left for the Jets, he was a OG.  He could play RT, but I thought his build, style and abilities screamed a mauling OG. I admit, that I don't always see or take the by the numbers approach to a lot of things. Some things are my gut and instincts. Those things are hard to tangibly measure as you can do with numbers and stats. 

I am not sure if you remember the warnings I gave in the last draft about the OTs. 

Yes I do and you are spot on. I have never questioned your acumen, knowledge or instincts even if I have a different opinion or thought. I learn a lot from you and many others ere as well.

Going into this draft that have 2 OTs under contract.  Banner and Moore.  They have one OG ( Dotson) and one center (Green).  They could draft any Oline in the 1st.  They will be signing Oline FA but they really need to spend to get a starter and not just depth.

No doubt, they are now forced to do something as far depth and possibly even a starter or two. OL is also a lot about fit and how the lineman play well together. While there is a definite sense of urgency to bring in talent, they may not be a bad thing considering the talent that they played with.  BTW, since the Denver coaching staff was fired maybe we can put in an S.O.S. to Mike Munchack to come back home?

4 minutes ago, AFF said:

They should go into FA with the thought of getting 2 solid tier starters...not sure of that happens though....might depends on how much they wanna cut ties with Banner and Haeg.

Agree 100%.  I think you draft a young guy or two to develop as well. Haeg is actually a decent back-up. He played "well" at times and others looked like a back-up. But that is a back-up. I think that you struggle when these guys are called upon to play as starters. We have seen that with Wormley on the DL and last year with Spillane at ILB. The only way to fix this OL is adding more talent.

I don't know why Banner has not been given a shot? He is the best run blocking OT on the roster and the team struggles to run. Why not pair him next to the mauling RG and see what they can do? If this was done ten weeks ago, who knows how well the rushing attack could be? I doubt it could be worse (strictly my opinion). 

Green has the same experience as Dermontti Dawson when he was drafted.  Pouncey had way more experience at center and could call protections as a rookie which is why he was a day 1 starter.  Green should have never been a starter unless injury forced it.  Green and Linderbaum have the same playing style.  Linderbaum just has far more experience.

If Neal. Ekwonu, Cross, Petit-Frere and Kenyon Green are all gone by the time the Steelers pick, He should be considered but he might also be gone by the time the Steelers pick.