Does David Culley Deserve a 2nd Year?

PAtexansFAN_99

I think everyone who's been closely following the team throughout this season has an understanding that David Culley is, more or less, a figurehead relative to the way past HCs have operated. I like to think that whatever they've got him doing, that it's very helpful and that he's good at it. 

Much like the Jacksonville HC job working with GM Trent Baalke, the Texans HC job likely requires great amounts of flexibility given how completely Caserio seems to be running the team. If you like Caserio, then I feel like Culley makes good sense. He's not going to rock the boat. Also, our last head coach was also.. I'll say "micro-manage-y", which ultimately was one of the main reasons he failed. What I'm saying is, There are a number of different types of coaching archetypes that can be successful, and one of those is that of the delegator. I think Culley could be a successful head coach in that way (though it  is concerning that I don't believe he's probably the brightest bulb when it comes to x's and o's', and making schematic suggestions, anticipating what will and won't work, things like that.. kind of important stuff). He can be as good as the rest of his coaching staff and the roster, and he seems like an easy guy to work for. There are reasons to keep him.

Also I want to add that we don't want to make a habit of firing coaches after 1 year. We've never done it so far (head coaches at least), and I'd prefer not to honestly. I think it's important that prospective coaches know they'll be given a genuine opportunity to succeed. 

At the same time, probably not right? Like, I'm looking around at some of these candidates.. Flores is a free agent. People are talking Jim Harbaugh (probably he'll stay put tho).. Leftwich. DeMeco Ryans! Like, we could upgrade at head coach probably. 

But that guy would probably have to allow Caserio to make large numbers of important decisions, and I could definitely see that being a deal breaker for HC candidates. 

The "keep Culley and promote Pep to OC before he goes to Carolina" plan is probably my current favorite. 

Should Culley be fired? Will he be? What do yall think?

Edited by PAtexansFAN_99
  • Like 1

Culley's our tank commander. Unless Caserio's dream HC is out there, it's not worth getting rid of Culley. Let's be honest, Culley over-achieved this year and we're not in a position to seriously compete next year. It's not a good look to get rid of Culley just to hop around from HC to HC so it would need to be the HC that Caserio would want to ride with for at least the next 3-5 years. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Adam Devine Reaction GIF

He might stick around because nobody is available/easier to move forward with him, but nothing he does inspires any sort of progress.

He's a homeless mans' Jason Garrett.

Less clapping too, but that's because nobody claps more than Garrett. 

• Like 1

David Culley absolutely deserves another year. Considering the situation before the season and roster he inherited there is no doubt. I don't think many Texans fans expected to win even 4 games considering our situation. I don't think Culley is the guy to take this team to a top level NFL team but I like the way he wants to play (run the ball, limit turnovers offensively, and take the ball away defensively). He certainly had some bumps to start the season and looked completely in over his head with game management, but those things improved over the season. The incident with Reid is still perplexing to me, but the guy is well liked by the team and I've always thought that counts for a lot. We may not have won all the games we should've this year but I was impressed with the effort to end the season. 

Like I say I don't think Culley will make us a contender next season, but I doubt anyone else available would either. I like Culley's vision for this team and I think he deserves to be back next year with that being the year we can truly judge him. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does this offseason.

PS: I'm hoping for some staff changes offensively, but we'll see. If Pep leaves, then I wouldn't mind them trying to add Matt Nagy to the same role.

• Like 2

Pretty interesting read of Flores. Sounds similar to a certain HC that we got rid of in our power struggle battle not too long ago. I'm curious if he'd try the same things with Caserio or if they'd work better together. Let's be honest, Flores definitely over-achieved with the Dolphins and took them from a complete tear down to contenders. Yes, he was 19-19 in his tenure with them, but I think this year's Texans could've beaten the 2019 Dolphins easily. We also know Culley isn't the long-term answer and is our version of Jim Tomsula as the 49ers head coach: completely outmatched but a glue guy. 

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article256841207.html

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

Pretty interesting read of Flores. Sounds similar to a certain HC that we got rid of in our power struggle battle not too long ago. I'm curious if he'd try the same things with Caserio or if they'd work better together. Let's be honest, Flores definitely over-achieved with the Dolphins and took them from a complete tear down to contenders. Yes, he was 19-19 in his tenure with them, but I think this year's Texans could've beaten the 2019 Dolphins easily. We also know Culley isn't the long-term answer and is our version of Jim Tomsula as the 49ers head coach: completely outmatched but a glue guy. 

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article256841207.html

Culley was hired for a reason, and that reason is that he won't push back. Caserio, for better or worse, is likely a difficult GM to be a HC for. Caserio is also the best shot we've got at becoming good any time soon, so I say if he wants Culley to just sit there and nod his head in agreement every time, I'm cool wittit. Let Caserio work. 

We may find out next season, or the season after, that Caserio can't get us where we need to be. When that happens, he, and Culley both ought to be fired and we can truly start over. Until then, I'm willing to sit back and see how this plays out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LORK88 said:

I heard about this, and while there are some red flags - Chris Grier doesn't have the rapport with Flores that Nick Caserio does.

Getting two people who already have a working relationship together does a lot in relation to the friction described in this message. Flores is probably less likely to push as hard with someone who worked as a psuedo mentor; In addition, Jack Easterby is very high on Flores from their New England days, so there's a direct link to ownership - not like Stephen Ross, who really had no working relationship outside of Grier with this regime running Miami. Sure, Cal doesn't know Flores - but Jack is basically the decision maker, so friction would be at a minimum.

I'm not happy with continuing the Patriots South tradition, but with it pervading through multiple levels of the organization, a clean break from said Patriots South traditions isn't possible - you'd have to fire everyone, including a guy who will probably never get fired. Flores has maintained a respectable track record with limited resources (I mean, Miami really didn't take advantage of all of those picks we gave em for Tunsil, have they?)

If Flores stays in his lane - which Caserio and Easterby could manage, given their collective history - it could turn out differently.

• Like 2