Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

11 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Then we aren’t keeping pace.  We have not currently improved our team while each division rival has done so.  Our biggest competition in the AFC overall has also done so.

i get how the salary cap works, and I know it’sa balance.  But putting all our eggs in the draft basket, and hoping for overplaying cheapys will eventually not pan out.

I agree. But we also don't have the cap space/flexibility that other teams do. With the way that Veach has structured deals, and will likely continue to do so, we're going to have a handful of highly (over?)paid players with the vast majority of the roster being rookies and vet minimum type deals.

I've been saying for a while that this year, 2023, and potentially 2024 are going to be extremely tough to have a competitive roster with the way deals have been structured. We're just too top heavy in contracts and the can keeps getting kicked and compounding. We have to keep getting cheaper talent and the best way to do that is drafting and developing.

1 minute ago, RedGold said:

I do think we still add a veteran WR and Edge before the draft though.  Just maybe not to the caliber everyone wants. 

Agreed.

At WR, I'm still hoping Allen Robinson takes a cheap one year deal to chase a ring. Doubt it though. Some guys I think we may bring in on/near vet minimum deals include: Sammy Watkins, Albert Wilson, and Dede Westbrook. At Edge I'm thinking: Solomon Thomas, Akiem Hicks, or Dante Fowler Jr.

That isn't necessarily who I want, rather some guys I think Veach may try for on the cheaper end.

1 minute ago, kingseanjohn said:

Agreed.

At WR, I'm still hoping Allen Robinson takes a cheap one year deal to chase a ring. Doubt it though. Some guys I think we may bring in on/near vet minimum deals include: Sammy Watkins, Albert Wilson, and Dede Westbrook. At Edge I'm thinking: Solomon Thomas, Akiem Hicks, or Dante Fowler Jr.

That isn't necessarily who I want, rather some guys I think Veach may try for on the cheaper end.

There’s still some solid guys at Edge out there.

Addison, Flowers, Fowler.   Much like Clark they couldn’t really produce as the top Edge on their team,  but could bounce back as a secondary option.   
I’m watching Dorance Armstrong,  still young and always looked good when I saw the Cowboys.   Never got much of shot at starting for them though 

At this point honestly at Edge I’m all about Houston and Ingram.  Most of the clear upgrade names are gone. Obviously WR is a different story, but that’s also where I think we have more draft flexibility.  A round one WR seems to have better odds to make an impact playing in the open because of Ty and Kelce then a round 1 Edge does.

Also, we NEED to do something about CB.  I know some people think we’re ok with Fenton Sneed and Baker but it certainly doesn’t give me the warm fuzzies.  I would really like to see Edge or CB addressed with a quality player before the draft.

1 hour ago, RedGold said:

Wylie actually turned in a solid season last year haha.   I never thought I’d mutter those words.   

I’m good with staying put.  Maybe sign a WR or Edge that got cut, but I don’t want to pay the market prices right now 

It's amazing what a stud RG can do for a mediocre RT. 

44 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Agreed.

I also like Robinson as a possibility. That said, it will have to be cheap.

32 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

At this point honestly at Edge I’m all about Houston and Ingram.  Most of the clear upgrade names are gone. Obviously WR is a different story, but that’s also where I think we have more draft flexibility.  A round one WR seems to have better odds to make an impact playing in the open because of Ty and Kelce then a round 1 Edge does.

Also, we NEED to do something about CB.  I know some people think we’re ok with Fenton Sneed and Baker but it certainly doesn’t give me the warm fuzzies.  I would really like to see Edge or CB addressed with a quality player before the draft.

Houston would be nice. Even now he has explosion and, fom the look of things, we cannot afford anyone younger. What I think will happen is that upgrade Danna's role and work on depth and draft picks. The next FA signing should be a DT to compliment Jones/Wharton. 

18 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

It's amazing what a stud RG can do for a mediocre RT. 

I also like Robinson as a possibility. That said, it will have to be cheap.

Houston would be nice. Even now he has explosion and, fom the look of things, we cannot afford anyone younger. What I think will happen is that upgrade Danna's role and work on depth and draft picks. The next FA signing should be a DT to compliment Jones/Wharton. 

Ionnidas would be a good signing, Richardson still makes a difference in the middle.  There’s some older guys at edge that might be in the ring chasing (another or a first) group on 1 year deals like Campbell, Houston, Ingram and Hughes.

The one year deal I’m most interested in seeing though is where Juju ends up.  Seems like a perfect fit here, went as far as to say he should have signed here last year.  But a team friendly or inventive based 1 year deal to build himself back up in a high powered offense almost makes too much sense. So he’ll probably sign with the Raiders! lol

2 hours ago, RedGold said:

As @nicfre2011 pointed out.  Danielle Hunter is still available.  He has a roster bonus due 3/20 so likely get moved by that date. 

If healthy he’s as good as any pass rusher as any.  Could totally see us going after him once we get Tyreek finished. 

The healthy part is a risk and giving up picks is tough.  Saw an article circulating where we give up 30 and a conditional mid to get him and 46.  I could live with this.  Question becomes, if that is enough.

7 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

The healthy part is a risk and giving up picks is tough.  Saw an article circulating where we give up 30 and a conditional mid to get him and 46.  I could live with this.  Question becomes, if that is enough.

30   for  46 and Danielle Hunter    is what I would offer.  

Values Hunter as an early 3rd Round pick,     Which is pretty fair with his health.    

I don't mind moving down in the 1st,      just tired of losing the battle in pick totals in trades.

38 minutes ago, RedGold said:

30   for  46 and Danielle Hunter    is what I would offer.  

Values Hunter as an early 3rd Round pick,     Which is pretty fair with his health.    

I don't mind moving down in the 1st,      just tired of losing the battle in pick totals in trades.

I agree, there’s plenty of talent in that range.  We may lose out on a Wyatt or a Receiver if one slides, but we’d still be in range for comparable players.

Biggest downfall to moving back is dropping 5th year option if we hit, like we’re seem to have with Bolton and Humphrey.

Edited by EMAW_KSU
Oh yeah…

9 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

With what cap space?

Mahomes restructure, Hill extension, and OBJ extension could all make about as much room as they could possibly need. Just a matter of timing and if the players we'd get would be worth it or not.

• Like 1