Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

10 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

He’s Raw, no question, but also probably understands the route tree better than most CBs.  He’s never had pro level coaching.

7 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

He was a WR so that makes sense. But hes an absolute freak and sky is the limit if he takes the coaching. Imagine that speed on blitzes, and even being raw he should be able to catch back up with that speed.

Oh I agree.  He still scares the heck out of me for KC’s scheme though.    It either clicks for him or it doesn’t.

I think he’s a Cover 3 guy all the way, and could be a beast in that role.    He’s basically the opposite of anyone who has ever thrived with us haha.  Fast as hell, but not so great in and out of his breaks.      I wouldn’t be upset if we took him though.  Joshua Williams in the low level guy I think fits our mold.

8 hours ago, Chiefer said:

CBs are sufficient but arent very good. Would love to have a Ramsey type that can lockdown an elite WR without it being a flagathon everytime

maybe there isnt a good enough EDGE at the first round pick. Opens it up to be, well, something else.

They are better than not very good. That's why it is not a problem area like DL. 

8 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

By that argument so has the pass rush.  Sufficient isn’t what we should be hoping for here.  And a quality 3rd CB in most cases will be on the field a heck of a lot more than a back up tackle.

PFF has Baker graded out as a 60 from last year.

Exactly. You make my point. The pass rush is not sufficient, so pass rush is need area and CB is not. 

By the PFF score, Baker did OK for a sub who was not quite healthy all year. I don't pay for PFF, so I only get these tidbits when someone posts them. 

Another thing to consider is that more CB are still available than Edge. This article discusses the second round of FA signings. For example, Joe Haden. He's well past 30 but still solid. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-2022-nfl-free-agency-wave-2-outlook-tyreek-hill-edge-cb-tyrann-mathieu/?itm_source=parsely-api

Edited by onejayhawk

This is a nice article on Geron Christian. He's good as a backup swing tackle, but he could potentially start. It will be interesting how things shake out while Niang is out. Playing next to Trey Smith, Wylie looked a lot better last season.  
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-2022-nfl-free-agency-things-to-know-about-geron-christian/

8 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Exactly. You make my point. The pass rush is not sufficient, so pass rush is need area and CB is not.

You are saying the CB are sufficient, not me.  I don’t feel they are.  If we’re looking to draft one I would say the draft is the opposite of FA right now, with much more Edge talent than CB.

I’d love to sign Z, get an older vet at CB and allow BPA.  But that’s my dream.

• Like 1

I think CB is just as important as Edge, and would take the best available with our 1st pick and rotate to the other on our 2nd pick.

I love Andrew Booth Jr, and there is a small chance he'll be there at #30. I'm also really liking Kaiir Elam out of Florida. 6'2' and 192 pounds with great recovery speed. Aggressive run defender as well. He should be there at #30, but not our 2nd.

11 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

They are better than not very good. That's why it is not a problem area like DL. 

By the PFF score, Baker did OK for a sub who was not quite healthy all year. I don't pay for PFF, so I only get these tidbits when someone posts them. 

Another thing to consider is that more CB are still available than Edge. This article discusses the second round of FA signings. For example, Joe Haden. He's well past 30 but still solid. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-2022-nfl-free-agency-wave-2-outlook-tyreek-hill-edge-cb-tyrann-mathieu/?itm_source=parsely-api

But youre only looking at this year, by the next I think we only have one corner signed to the roster. Currently missing a starter in the secondary as well. I know you count Baker, but, I dont.

Not only is it on the field issue, but it will for sure be one later. All i really care about is adding talent to the roster anyways. Doesnt really matter what position, except RB again. Im actually pretty down for a WR just to keep up in this crazy Conference arms race.

1 minute ago, Chiefer said:

But youre only looking at this year, by the next I think we only have one corner signed to the roster. Currently missing a starter in the secondary as well. I know you count Baker, but, I dont.

Not only is it on the field issue, but it will for sure be one later. All i really care about is adding talent to the roster anyways. Doesnt really matter what position, except RB again. Im actually pretty down for a WR just to keep up in this crazy Conference arms race.

tbf,  he's right in line with how Veach typically operates.  It's not a problem until it's a problem.   

Then he's a beast because he spends all our resources fixing it all in one offseason.

Just now, RedGold said:

tbf,  he's right in line with how Veach typically operates.  It's not a problem until it's a problem.   

Then he's a beast because he spends all our resources fixing it all in one offseason.

I hate this reactionary crapola. Veach is just gonna go in assuming that Baker is starting in place of Ward. Hopefully that dont come back to bite us against the Wilson and the Herberts in the division lol.

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Had him as a late rounder in my mocks. Fast.

Definitely hitting that bargain bin from the other dumpster fire organizations. Good call.

From what I've read/seen he's a ball hawk, Ward was a small school unknown so I can see why Veach would go back to that well lol