Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

Is this good? I'm starting to lose track of all these guys: 

Chiefs signed LB Jermaine Carter, formerly of the Panthers.

Carter started all 17 games for Carolina last season, recording an unimpactful 88 tackles and little else across 78% of the snaps. He should get a chance to start in a weak Kansas City linebacker corps.

23 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Is this good? I'm starting to lose track of all these guys: 

Chiefs signed LB Jermaine Carter, formerly of the Panthers.

Carter started all 17 games for Carolina last season, recording an unimpactful 88 tackles and little else across 78% of the snaps. He should get a chance to start in a weak Kansas City linebacker corps.

He's taking a step down to play on a winning team. He's going to be the 3rd LB on a defense that usually only uses two--Gay and Bolton. I hope his ST play is solid.

In other news, Sorenson is officially gone.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/saints_sign_longtime_chiefs_safety_daniel_sorensen/s1_14819_37341428

Edited by onejayhawk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

He's taking a step down to play on a winning team. He's going to be the 3rd LB on a defense that usually only uses two--Gay and Bolton. I hope his ST play is solid.

In other news, Sorenson is officially gone.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/saints_sign_longtime_chiefs_safety_daniel_sorensen/s1_14819_37341428

Article I read said he was a solid ST contributor.  12 tackles or something like that.  He can tackle, I like him better than Neimann, he has some athletic prowess, I like him better than Neimann.  If he can understand a defense he’s better than DOD.

I guess I just assumed, we’d re-sign Sorenson after the draft.  But like that one girl you always thought you’d get back together with he’s gone now.  Thanks for the good memories…wish we didn’t have to remember last year.

Edited by EMAW_KSU
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Article I read said he was a solid ST contributor.  12 tackles or something like that.  He can tackle, I like him better than Neimann, he has some athletic prowess, I like him better than Neimann.  If he can understand a defense he’s better than DOD.

I guess I just assumed, we’d re-sign Sorenson after the draft.  But like that one girl you always thought you’d get back together with he’s gone now.  Thanks for the good memories…wish we didn’t have to remember last year.

But, do you like him better than Niemann?

Ronald Jones has entered the chat

1 year deal worth up to 5 mill. Im a fan.

Weve got Jujus and Rojos, and edwards-Helaires and Valdez-Scantlings 😂 im glad Veach is carrying on the whacky name tradition that was set up by Dorsey before him.

The names Stephon Gilmore and James Bradberry have been cropping up all over with relation to the Chiefs. Now that they have some cap space, getting a veteran CB may be a priority.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_chiefs_have_actively_communicated_with_all_pro_cb_stephon_gilmore/s1_16631_37343451
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/26/kansas-city-chiefs-2022-nfl-free-agency-interest-in-trade-for-new-york-giants-james-bradberry/

This will make some posters feel warm and fuzzy.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

That's it. We lost some star power but our depth is much improved. 

Our penchant for signing other team's high draft picks strikes again. Ronald Jones was a 2nd round pick in 2018. It's nice that he's a solid receiver.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_sign_former_buccaneers_rb_ronald_jones_ii/s1_13132_37344499

Rojo never seemed to be able to climb out Arians dog house, but always seemed solid when called upon.  

I guess I didn’t realize Bradberry had 17 passes defense last year.  We certainly could use veteran help at corner, and still draft one.  Again this move would give more draft flexibility. Our draft would focus on improving positions but unlike a week ago we actually have some depth too.

• Like 1

There is no such thing as too much depth. If you can take a player to go to the front of a stacked depth chart, you do it. I once saw an old SI article criticizing a team for  drafting a player at a position where they already had a quality starter. They player they took was Lawrence Taylor.

Still, contrary to fan expectations, most teams don't come out of a draft with even two day #1 starters. When it happens, it generally involves multiple 1st round picks. We were freaks last season because we had two instant starters without any 1st rounder. If you think for a moment that the biggest improvement usually comes between the rookie season and year #2, what does that mean for Humphrey, Smith and Bolton? 

Regarding Bradberry, the thing I like is that he is a boundary CB. Sneed, Fenton, and supposedly Baker are press and slot corners. They need more deep help than Bradberry would.  

• Like 1

I'm becoming more convinced after all these signings, KC is going to make a splash via the Draft. Veach is planning to combine 2 or more picks to move up. I suspect Round 1. Probably to grab a favorite WR, but maybe Edge. No proof mind you, just a strong hunch.

Edited by mayanfootball