2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

3 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

My answer is you’re more concerned with 2 inches than you should be, unless you’re trying compensate for a lack of something. Either way he’s gonna play Outside Cornerback whether you like it or not and if you refuse to do any independent research or listen to what the coach said about him, I’ll paraphrase “I was wrong, he can play on the outside” then you’re simply gonna keep believing what you want.

yes, i'm trying to compensate for a lack of height on jump balls to dudes like Diggs and Davante Parker, the latter of whom will have half a foot on him

Just now, xrade said:

It's not a question of wanting a CB over a DE, it is a question of taking the best CB prospect IF Hutch and Thibs are gone.  I, for one, am not sold on JJ or any other DE at 4 if Hutch and Thibs are gone.  I'd rather have a blue chip prospect like Sauce.  But if you are sold on getting JJ or any other DE at 4 that is your opinion.  The quote about pressuring the QB does not implicitly state that they would draft a DE at 4 just that it is important to address the need.  If the board falls a certain way, JD may wait until round 2 to get a DE.  We just don't know.

I’m not sold on anything, I don’t really care which direction they go in as I trust they’ve done the work to make the right choice. What I’m saying about Gardner is it’s literally the antithesis of their philosophy in team building. If Thibs and Hutch are gone why not go Ikem or Neal for example? Taking their #3 EDGE is also possible, Douglas did take Becton after 2 Tackles went before him, he stuck to his philosophy even though all 3 top wide receivers were on the board. 

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I’m not sold on anything, I don’t really care which direction they go in as I trust they’ve done the work to make the right choice. What I’m saying about Gardner is it’s literally the antithesis of their philosophy in team building. If Thibs and Hutch are gone why not go Ikem or Neal for example? Taking their #3 EDGE is also possible, Douglas did take Becton after 2 Tackles went before him, he stuck to his philosophy even though all 3 top wide receivers were on the board. 

I'm not so sure about this team building thing.  Many assume they don't like DB's early in the draft because Saleh coached in Seattle and SF who, if I am correct, never took DB that high.  Free of the restraints of others, maybe Saleh and JD will do just that.  I guess we'll find out.

I love OL but until we start looking like a real FB team I'd rather get upgrades where they are needed more.  I say that with the belief that our OL is good for this year and I'd like to see a day 2 pick spent on OT to replace Fant.  But, if OT is addressed at 4, I won't cry.

4 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Man I’m gonna have to eat some crow if we draft Gardner lol

i think the vast majority of us would prefer hutch or thibs at four.  But if they are gone....or hell if sauce is there at ten i'd prefer him over a WR with the depth at that position this draft for early second rounders

3 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Man I’m gonna have to eat some crow if we draft Gardner lol

Not at all.  That is what makes this draft interesting.  We don't have major holes that need addressing so the range of opinions on whom to select at 4 are greatly varied.  Do you think they are not having the same discussions at other team sites that have few needs?  If we all had the same consensus as to whom to draft, that just means it is a major need and we all see it.  Last year we all knew we would go QB at 2.  The few discussions then were Wilson or Fields.  I like this offseason better. 

9 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

if we're gonna go OL, i'd rather grab Cross at ten who projects more cleanly as a pure LT at the next level than ickey and neal who have higher boom rates but also i'm less sure of won't need to go to the right side

53 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

go ahead and name all the legit number one corners under 5'11.  I'll wait

There's pretty much no #1 CB at all anymore... so of course that list is small. Further proving that CB isn't a premium position anymore. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

i think the vast majority of us would prefer hutch or thibs at four.  But if they are gone....or hell if sauce is there at ten i'd prefer him over a WR with the depth at that position this draft for early second rounders

How many receivers do you think go between 11 and 34? That’s what Douglas has to ask himself if he goes elsewhere at 10 and waits until 35.

6 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

if we're gonna go OL, i'd rather grab Cross at ten who projects more cleanly as a pure LT at the next level than ickey and neal who have higher boom rates but also i'm less sure of won't need to go to the right side

How do you know Cross gets to 10?

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

How many receivers do you think go between 11 and 34? That’s what Douglas has to ask himself if he goes elsewhere at 10 and waits until 35.

If we don't choose a guy at 4 or 10 at WR there's a significant drop off in WR talent. You're talking from going from the like of Jameson Williams and Garrett Wilson caliber to Jahan Dotson and Skyy Moore caliber. Cant see guys like Drake London, Treylon Burks and Chris Olave making it to Day 2. I think 5 WRs go in Round 1 if not more. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

If we don't choose a guy at 4 or 10 at WR there's a significant drop off in WR talent. You're talking from going from the like of Jameson Williams and Garrett Wilson caliber to Jahan Dotson and Skyy Moore caliber. Cant see guys like Drake London, Treylon Burks and Chris Olave making it to Day 2. I think 5 WRs go in Round 1 if not more. 

See that’s a risk not worth taking unless we have a lot of depth at the top of our WR board. We’re basically in a position to get any receiver we want outside of who Atlanta picks, passing that up is hard to see.