2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

39 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

McBride would be very good on the Jets. Sign me up for that.

Well, Becton needs to get back to rookie season form then. He's way too talented to slip up this quickly in his career.

So go sign a free agent corner.....Draft an edge and OL in the top 10 and then McBride in day two?? 

I'd gladly welcome McBride. But there's actually several TEs I like in this draft that I'd be happy with. Njoku is the guy I want in FA. Schultz I'd love, but not sure I want us to pay him as much as he'll command. I don't think DAL will tag him. They're in cap hell right now. They've restructures these older guys and have to pay them. Unless they make a couple big time trades where they lose big time guys getting paid a ton and take next to nothing back in draft pick return... they cant resign Schultz. I think last I checked they're like 21mill over the cap next season. So they're going to get real creative to be able to resign him. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

McBride would be very good on the Jets. Sign me up for that.

Well, Becton needs to get back to rookie season form then. He's way too talented to slip up this quickly in his career.

So go sign a free agent corner.....Draft an edge and OL in the top 10 and then McBride in day two?? 

Corner is interesting because we definitely can use an upgrade but our Corners were probably our strongest unit this season and that was without a pass rush. I’m wondering if they just run it back with the young guys and maybe add some depth/competition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Idk how you can say our weapons aren’t enough when we have seen this team at it’s best. Week after week someone was out. I still think we add someone to the receiving room simply because so many guys are free agents but Davis and Moore are talented and can make plays.

It's nothing against those guys outside of maybe Davis's drops. It doesn't necessarily have to happen at WR but I think we need bigger pass catchers. Moore, Berrios, and Carter are all under 5'-9".

Could we get that production at TE in the draft? Definitely, but there tends to be a slow learning curve for that position. 

Overwhelming teams with weapons is part of the new look offense and too many weapons isn't a bad thing. 

16 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

It's nothing against those guys outside of maybe Davis's drops. It doesn't necessarily have to happen at WR but I think we need bigger pass catchers. Moore, Berrios, and Carter are all under 5'-9".

Could we get that production at TE in the draft? Definitely, but there tends to be a slow learning curve for that position. 

Overwhelming teams with weapons is part of the new look offense and too many weapons isn't a bad thing. 

The Titans were the #1 seed with Derrick Henry and Julio Jones missing a huge portion of the season. How did they do that without overwhelming teams with weapons? Solid overall team play in all phases, not just depending on their weapons or lack of. And even though the team was a fraudulent 1 seed if Tannehill plays better they win that game against Cincinnati.

The word weapon is probably what’s irking me honestly every time I read it I twitch because it’s a shortsighted approach to team building. It’s like people think, draft weapons and everything will work out and it’s just annoying I guess. Remember when people said if we upgraded Darnold’s weapons he’d play better and then Sam went to a team with upgraded weapons and still played like crap.

This offense took a turn when we swapped GVR for LDT, didn’t matter who was catching passes, we were moving the ball and scoring points. 

Now you take that consistently and add in the best talents we currently have and then plug in upgrade where we need them and you take that next step as a team.

This is coming from someone who wants to draft Jameson Williams and Trey McBride by the way but I know it’s gonna take than that. 

3 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The Titans were the #1 seed with Derrick Henry and Julio Jones missing a huge portion of the season. How did they do that without overwhelming teams with weapons? Solid overall team play in all phases, not just depending on their weapons or lack of. And even though the team was a fraudulent 1 seed if Tannehill plays better they win that game against Cincinnati.

The word weapon is probably what’s irking me honestly every time I read it I twitch because it’s a shortsighted approach to team building. It’s like people think, draft weapons and everything will work out and it’s just annoying I guess. Remember when people said if we upgraded Darnold’s weapons he’d play better and then Sam went to a team with upgraded weapons and still played like crap.

This offense took a turn when we swapped GVR for LDT, didn’t matter who was catching passes, we were moving the ball and scoring points. 

Now you take that consistently and add in the best talents we currently have and then plug in upgrade where we need them and you take that next step as a team.

This is coming from someone who wants to draft Jameson Williams and Trey McBride by the way but I know it’s gonna take than that. 

Certainly not going to argue that Darnold is good. But when CMC was healthy he was pretty good. And when you lose arguably the best weapon in football... that makes a huge difference. And I know you like Moore and Davis... is Moore and Robby much of an upgrade from them? Maybe slightly... but not by much. Darnold going to more weapons was more so in him having CMC, and he barely played.

I understand in part what you're saying. But it's almost as if you don't think adding weapons will do anything. Feels like you say you want weapons, but think that's not what will fix this team. We won 4 games this year and 2 games last year, obviously we need more than just weapons. I personally love building an OL and I know you do as well. I wanted an OLinmean in 2020, just not Becton. I was very happy when we drafted AVT and brought in Moses. I'll always be pro building an OL, protecting your QB and having a run game. But what good does it do to have a  great OL with average guys catching the ball. Davis had drops and cant stay healthy. Moore pretty much never played with Wilson in meaningful snaps and his sample size of good play was small. Same with Carter. I hope like no other that Moore can be a 1k WR for us in different ways, Carter can be our go to back and that Davis can be a red zone guy for us. But 1 year into it, Carter only touched the ball more than 10 times in 9 games and missed time, Moore had 1 game over 100yds (Flacco at QB) and missed time and Davis had a great Week 1 and go worse as the year went on (lots of drops) before missing the last 8 games. Hard to really wrap my head around that any of them should be trusted and never mind to the level of top weapons in the NFL (whether that's a RB, WR or TE). 

36 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Certainly not going to argue that Darnold is good. But when CMC was healthy he was pretty good. And when you lose arguably the best weapon in football... that makes a huge difference. And I know you like Moore and Davis... is Moore and Robby much of an upgrade from them? Maybe slightly... but not by much. Darnold going to more weapons was more so in him having CMC, and he barely played.

I understand in part what you're saying. But it's almost as if you don't think adding weapons will do anything. Feels like you say you want weapons, but think that's not what will fix this team. We won 4 games this year and 2 games last year, obviously we need more than just weapons. I personally love building an OL and I know you do as well. I wanted an OLinmean in 2020, just not Becton. I was very happy when we drafted AVT and brought in Moses. I'll always be pro building an OL, protecting your QB and having a run game. But what good does it do to have a  great OL with average guys catching the ball. Davis had drops and cant stay healthy. Moore pretty much never played with Wilson in meaningful snaps and his sample size of good play was small. Same with Carter. I hope like no other that Moore can be a 1k WR for us in different ways, Carter can be our go to back and that Davis can be a red zone guy for us. But 1 year into it, Carter only touched the ball more than 10 times in 9 games and missed time, Moore had 1 game over 100yds (Flacco at QB) and missed time and Davis had a great Week 1 and go worse as the year went on (lots of drops) before missing the last 8 games. Hard to really wrap my head around that any of them should be trusted and never mind to the level of top weapons in the NFL (whether that's a RB, WR or TE). 

I think it will help but I don’t think it will elevate the team and the Quarterback to a level that we think it will. Darnold is a great example because as you said losing CMC made him suck again which simply tells me he isn’t really good if he can’t be good without CMC in the lineup. 

Look at is this way, Zach’s biggest leaps of the season came down his best receivers. His best play was literally with Davis, Moore and Crowder and no tight end.

So his improvement there, which wasn’t crutched by the guys around him, and natural progression from year 1 to 2, the return of Davis(and hopefully his hands), Moore(natural progression), Berrios(who elevated his game) and a couple additions(don’t have to be Chase or Pitts level great but can’t be Jeff Smith or Ryan Griffin level bad ) and an upgraded OL can’t compete with the other offenses in the league?

I guess because I’m studying this team and how we looked at certain points I’m seeing things from different perspectives and not just looking at other teams and thinking oh they did this so it makes sense to do it too.

I think we need another receiver but I’m not sure where at. Davis is making a lot of money and has to play X which means Moore plays the Z(great fit for Moore allows MLF to move him around), Berrios and Zach developed a lot of rapport so you can plug him in at Y and I think it’s solid but there’s something missing. I don’t know if consistency from Davis, Moore and Berrios fix that or if it’s something we need to bring in. What I do know is that it doesn’t have to be Chase, even though I would love to have him. I think a viable threat at Tight End opens up this offense so much. 

4 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If he wants to return then of course. Becton right now is unreliable. Until he proves otherwise we should maintain Fant and Moses

If it were me, I would go with Fant and Moses for 2 years.  Have contracts fixed to that.  Becton will have to wait for his turn to step in such as injury replacement.

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I think it will help but I don’t think it will elevate the team and the Quarterback to a level that we think it will. Darnold is a great example because as you said losing CMC made him suck again which simply tells me he isn’t really good if he can’t be good without CMC in the lineup. 

Look at is this way, Zach’s biggest leaps of the season came down his best receivers. His best play was literally with Davis, Moore and Crowder and no tight end.

So his improvement there, which wasn’t crutched by the guys around him, and natural progression from year 1 to 2, the return of Davis(and hopefully his hands), Moore(natural progression), Berrios(who elevated his game) and a couple additions(don’t have to be Chase or Pitts level great but can’t be Jeff Smith or Ryan Griffin level bad ) and an upgraded OL can’t compete with the other offenses in the league?

I guess because I’m studying this team and how we looked at certain points I’m seeing things from different perspectives and not just looking at other teams and thinking oh they did this so it makes sense to do it too.

I think we need another receiver but I’m not sure where at. Davis is making a lot of money and has to play X which means Moore plays the Z(great fit for Moore allows MLF to move him around), Berrios and Zach developed a lot of rapport so you can plug him in at Y and I think it’s solid but there’s something missing. I don’t know if consistency from Davis, Moore and Berrios fix that or if it’s something we need to bring in. What I do know is that it doesn’t have to be Chase, even though I would love to have him. I think a viable threat at Tight End opens up this offense so much. 

I’m not saying we need to spend a 1st on a guy. (Trust me I’d love Burks at 10). But we need to bring in talent. I think a couple good WRs will fall to us in the 2nd. I can’t see all of Burks, Williams, Wilson, London, Olave all gone by 34

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Free Agency Targets-

No, I don't promote those players for Jets but this list of who I feel right for Jets in any role.

RB-
Rashaad Penny - Seahawks
Marlon Mack - Colts
Sony Michel - Rams

WR-
Chris Godwin - Buccaneers
Christian Kirk - Cardinals
Russell Gage - Falcons
Cedrick Wilson Jr. - Cowboys
Marquez Valdes-Scantling - Packers
Allen Robinson - Bears

TE-