2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

54 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Creed Humphrey was taken in 2nd round.  He is easily stronger than Linderbaum.  LInderbaum did lose some strength battle with IDL but he recovered nicely most of time due to IDL's inability to finish off.  

Sound not good for 1st round label.   We have to wait and see what is his NFL combine result. 

And in hindsight there’s nearly the whole NFL regretting not drafting Humphrey who was one of the best Cs in the game as a rookie. Classic… where teams overthink things and a guy slips. Guy had no reason not being a 1st rounder

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

And in hindsight there’s nearly the whole NFL regretting not drafting Humphrey who was one of the best Cs in the game as a rookie. Classic… where teams overthink things and a guy slips. Guy had no reason not being a 1st rounder

I wanted Creed in round 2 last year. But with McGovern on the roster JD wasn’t drafting an OC. Which is why I doubt we draft an OC high in the draft this year.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

NFL doesn't care if they have elite center as long as he can click together just fine.  However, Humphrey was taken at very end of 2nd round as 3rd center off the board.

Landon Dickerson played G for obvious reason.

Josh Myers was taken right before Humphrey.  I don't know if Packers were idiotic for this happen but Packers have history of developing kids well anyway.

10 hours ago, JetsandI said:

NFL teams with at least potential Shanahan based offense:

Jets

Vikings

Rams

49ers

Falcons

Packers

Dolphins

Bears

Broncos

Bengals

Titans

Chargers?

That is a lot of competition if we look for same upgrade.  Plus I believe Jaguars will be aggressive in FA.

I can't lie, I'm a little nervous because of this and how the 49ers defense looked without Saleh. I'm hoping this isn't like a Patriots/BB situation where he makes all his coordinators look good and they suck as HCs. The good news is that Saleh flashed at times during the season against some of the better teams in league, so he can be the one. He has to prove it this season and after Lafluer leaves in the year or two. 

13 hours ago, JetsandI said:

NFL teams with at least potential Shanahan based offense:

Jets

Vikings

Rams

49ers

Falcons

Packers

Dolphins

Bears

Broncos

Bengals

Titans

Chargers?

That is a lot of competition if we look for same upgrade.  Plus I believe Jaguars will be aggressive in FA.

Not the Chargers

Add the Seahawks and Browns

11 hours ago, xrade said:

I wanted Creed in round 2 last year. But with McGovern on the roster JD wasn’t drafting an OC. Which is why I doubt we draft an OC high in the draft this year.

McGovern is in the last year of his deal. The draft is just as much about future needs as it is immediate needs.

Long term pieces we currently have(2+ years left on contract) now I’m not saying these are Core pieces due to performance but they’re at least guys we have under contract mostly on their rookie wages.

QB- Wilson

RB- Carter

WR- Davis, Moore, Mims

TE- N/A

OT- Becton

OG- AVT

C- N/A

EDGE- Lawson, JFM

DT- Marshall

LB- Hamsah, Sherwood

CB- Hall, MC2, Echols, Dunn, Pinnock, 

S- Davis

K- N/A

P- Mann

3 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

McGovern is in the last year of his deal. The draft is just as much about future needs as it is immediate needs.

For a team without all the holes we have - yes. We need starters, not future replacements. Not yet. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

For a team without all the holes we have - yes. We need starters, not future replacements. Not yet. 

KC could’ve easily drafted Creed and moved McG to RG. But I mean we drafted Elijah Moore instead… so it’s hard to complain about the direction we went. I’m hoping actually him and Wilson playing together this season will really be the start of something special.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

KC could’ve easily drafted Creed and moved McG to RG. But I mean we drafted Elijah Moore instead… so it’s hard to complain about the direction we went. I’m hoping actually him and Wilson playing together this season will really be the start of something special.

I was responding to KONY about drafting future replacements high in the draft. But to your point, I am happy with our 2021 draft class. No complaints except drafting Pinnock and Sherwood so high, but that is nitpicking. As for McGovern, JD likes him at OC. Perhaps he could move to OG but I just think JD likes him where he is at. Drafting an OC in rounds 1 or 2 this year as a future replacement is just a waste of resources for this team. Remember, I am going on the assumption we will fill RG with a decent FA.

27 minutes ago, xrade said:

I was responding to KONY about drafting future replacements high in the draft. But to your point, I am happy with our 2021 draft class. No complaints except drafting Pinnock and Sherwood so high, but that is nitpicking. As for McGovern, JD likes him at OC. Perhaps he could move to OG but I just think JD likes him where he is at. Drafting an OC in rounds 1 or 2 this year as a future replacement is just a waste of resources for this team. Remember, I am going on the assumption we will fill RG with a decent FA.

I kinda hear what your saying but don’t fully agree with it. I mean it very possibly can be where we love Linderbaum and take him at 10 and move McGovern to RG.  Drafting Linderbaum is a move for now. I prefer to draft a guy like Lindstrom in like Round 4 who can be a backup C and G for us. One injury and he might be starting. So it’s a move for now and the future. Typically your not drafting starters in that area. If you are “like we sometimes are” that means your roster is poor. Normally it takes a year or 2 of development with guys in round 4 and later. It also has to do with how old is the starter in front of the guy. Take OT for example. I love the idea of drafting Neal or Ikem at 4. They can start at RG as rookies and be moved to OT. Fant is nearly 30.

I don't think anyone we draft in the top-3 rounds will have to wait 2 years to play. No one on our roster is that good. The only position we may draft that would wait a year is someone who can only play OT. That's based on if they can beat Fant. Everyone else will likely see the field by the end of the year at the latest. I'm not really interested in going IOL in the first round, but if they turn out to be a top-5 talent in the league, I will love the pick. I just want someone that will be in the discussion for rookie of the year and a chance to be a real factor. I have my favorites, but at the end of the day. I just want great players that make a difference.