2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It will never cease to amaze me how much everyone overvalues draft picks.

If you are a rebuilding team, draft picks are valuable.

If you are a contender or on the fringe, using draftpicks to acquire top/proven talent is valuable.

Both things can be true. 

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

If you are a rebuilding team, draft picks are valuable.

If you are a contender or on the fringe, using draftpicks to acquire top/proven talent is valuable.

Both things can be true. 

The Jets have made 19 picks over the last two draft cycles including 3 1sts and 2 2nd's. They have 9 picks again this year including 4 in the top 38 and their own third rounder. Lets say hypothetically they traded a 1/3 for Deebo, that'd mean they essentially traded Jamal Adams for Deebo, lol. 

13 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I'm sure Percy Harvin on steroids and the "other LaFleur" can easily replicate the success we've seen under Shanahan in an offense that include George Kittle, a stable of capable RB's, and the best LT in the NFL. It's practically looking in a mirror.

This will be a smooth transition.

A healthy Percy Harvin on steroids just had the second most yards from scrimmage by a WR in NFL history, IIRC. 

Acting as though only Shanahan can use Deebo successfully just seems odd to me, lol. A stable of capable RB's that included Wilson and a 6th round rookie, lol. Michael Carter had a good rookie season and the Jets have invested a ton of assets into their offensive line. 

No I think drafting a position that has a notoriously low hit rate early in the 1st round instead of trading for an All-Pro that your coaching staff helped develop is an even smoother transition. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Jets have made 19 picks over the last two draft cycles including 3 1sts and 2 2nd's. They have 9 picks again this year including 4 in the top 38 and their own third rounder. Lets say hypothetically they traded a 1/3 for Deebo, that'd mean they essentially traded Jamal Adams for Deebo, lol. 

Or trade #10 with the Saints for #16 and #49.

Get Olave and continue to round out the Oline/Secondary.

I don't think Deebo Samuel is the type of WR you trade #10 for if youre the NY Jets. Maybe a later 1st or two 2nds. But I just dont see it with him given his size and skill set. I stood shoulder to shoulder with the guy in LA the day before the SuperBowl and he's not 6ft. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah but the Jets notoriously dont know how to draft. Some teams are just better at it than others. As I told DWC a while back, I would trust the Cowboys at 24 before the Jets at 10 any day of the week. 

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

Or trade #10 with the Saints for #16 and #49.

Get Olave and continue to round out the Oline/Secondary.

I don't think Deebo Samuel is the type of WR you trade #10 for if youre the NY Jets. Maybe a later 1st or two 2nds. But I just dont see it with him given his size and skill set. I stood shoulder to shoulder with the guy in LA the day before the SuperBowl and he's not 6ft. 

Who are the Saints moving up for and why would they do that when they just traded a future 1st to have more draft capital this year? 

If they can add a RT at #4 then their OL is set up pretty damn nicely. They've spent two premium picks on LT/LG and just signed Tomlinson. They also just spent big money on DJ Reed and Jordan Whitehead in the secondary. 

In a hypothetical 10/69 for Deebo they'd still have 4/35/38 and 4 other selections later in the draft. 

Tyreek Hill is 5'8, Kupp is what 6'1? How big is Chase or Diggs? lol

Dude just had the 2nd most yards from scrimmage by a WR in the history of the sport. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

A healthy Percy Harvin on steroids just had the second most yards from scrimmage by a WR in NFL history, IIRC. 

In a 18 game season, no $hit.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

No I think drafting a position that has a notoriously low hit rate early in the 1st round instead of trading for an All-Pro that your coaching staff helped develop is an even smoother transition. 

Chase and Jaylen Waddle looked good. 

6 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

In a 18 game season, no $hit.

Chase and Jaylen Waddle looked good. 

Deebo only played in 16 games my boy. 

And they were both top 6 picks that were vastly superior prospects to any WR's in this class. Chase also had the greatest rookie WR season ever and Waddle's numbers were just pure volume based, dude averaged less than 10 ypc, lol.

And based on your logic, the Jets should pass on Waddle if he was in this class because he's literally smaller than Deebo, lmao.

Edited by NYRaider

13 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Yeah but the Jets notoriously dont know how to draft. Some teams are just better at it than others. As I told DWC a while back, I would trust the Cowboys at 24 before the Jets at 10 any day of the week. 

So when you've already had the luxury of 5 1/2 round picks over the last two cycles, 19 picks overall, and have 9 picks this year, does giving up one + the one you were going to use to draft a WR anyways make a significant difference?

Like for example are you taking Drake London / a prospect at #69 over Deebo Samuel? When you still have a top 4 pick and two picks at the top of the 2nd round to work with? lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So when you've already had the luxury of 5 1/2 round picks over the last two cycles, 19 picks overall, and have 9 picks this year, does giving up one + the one you were going to use to draft a WR anyways make a significant difference?

Like for example are you taking Drake London / a prospect at #69 over Deebo Samuel? When you still have a top 4 pick and two picks at the top of the 2nd round to work with? lol

Not likely if you are the Jets. Absolutely if you are one of another other teams. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You think most teams are going to find a player at 10/69 that's All-Pro, NFL record setting level? lol

I think other teams will use those picks plus the ~$15m in cap space to add at least 3, maybe 4, players that can contribute to the level of 1 WRB. 

Its not about finding *a* player, its about total contribution. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ill put it in Cowboys terms since I know them best and we had the #10 overall last year. Those picks + cap space turned into:

Parsons (traded down to 12, got an extra 3rd)

Osa <== really really solid rookie DL

Golston (extra 3rd)

Kearse <== incredible year at safety

Hooker

and took our defense from bottom 5 in the NFL to top 5. 

Edited by Matts4313

Just now, Matts4313 said:

I think other teams will use those picks plus the ~$15m in caps space to add at least 3, maybe 4, players that can contribute to the level of 1 WRB. 

Well considering they're not trading him, we'll have the luxury to see it for ourselves, lol.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Well considering they're not trading him, we'll have the luxury to see it for ourselves, lol.

See my edit. Also realize I already said the Jets will likely screw it up. I have no faith in their scouting department.