Not Just the X's and O's, But the Culture of the KOC Offense

vike daddy

Risner was re-signed to offer competition. Many assumed that it meant competition for Brandel, but O’Connell’s comments at the start of training camp made it pretty clear that the right guard position was very much up for competition. Maybe even more-so than the left guard spot.

Risner hurt his back in the first week of padded practices. Practices where he was taking the majority of his snaps at the right guard spot. 

If Risner can play to the same level at RG as he has at LG during his career, it marks a baseline for play at the position. A baseline that Ingram is not reaching. And if that’s the case, or the coaches believe that to be the case, then Risner should be starting over Ingram as soon as possible. 

• Like 3

What concerns me so far is the offense disappearing for most of the second half in most of the games this season.

Avg points per quarter this season, NFL rank in brackets

Q1: 9.6 (1)

Q2: 7.6 (13)

Q3: 5.6 (8t) - Interesting - not scoring in the 3rd seems to be a league wide trend.

Q4: 5.0 (21)

While they have come through when needed, the offense needs to improve in the second half. 

Interesting bonus stat: They do have longer posessions in the second half, though (46% posession percentage in the first vs. 50,09% in the second half)

• Like 2

Kevin O'Connell: "I'm very proud of the culture in this building, I'm very proud of what it feels like in the halls of this building. Can we stay true to what we've built in this team?  Whether you're a rookie going through your first season, whether you're on this team for the first time, that has played elsewhere on another team, we're perfectly fine with no one talking about the Minnesota Vikings."

"I feel even more confident now that the best football team that we could possibly have in this room right now, capable of accomplishing anything we want this year. Let everyone else talk about predictions and expectations and all those things. We know everything we need to know is in this room, and we're more than capable of going to do it."

"But mark my words, before it is all said and done, they're going to be talking about the guys in this room."

vikings.com

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Kevin O'Connell: "I'm very proud of the culture in this building, I'm very proud of what it feels like in the halls of this building. Can we stay true to what we've built in this team?  Whether you're a rookie going through your first season, whether you're on this team for the first time, that has played elsewhere on another team, we're perfectly fine with no one talking about the Minnesota Vikings."

"I feel even more confident now that the best football team that we could possibly have in this room right now, capable of accomplishing anything we want this year. Let everyone else talk about predictions and expectations and all those things. We know everything we need to know is in this room, and we're more than capable of going to do it."

"But mark my words, before it is all said and done, they're going to be talking about the guys in this room."

vikings.com

Me + KOC speech -> Brick Wall -> Me

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Me + KOC speech -> Brick Wall -> Me

lol.

if you watch the video, it had an equal amount of time with a camera on KOC and another on various players in their seats listening to him. it was at a team meeting.

my take was not that they felt it was a rah rah inspirational type moment, but more so i saw looks of... gulping and hesitancy.... as in, "Coach really expects me to kick some serious butt on the field and prove myself....."

he was challenging them. he was saying what standards he expects and insists on, and demanding they meet them. in his own nice way.

they got the message.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

Matthew Coller @MatthewColler

Find someone who talks about you the way Kevin O'Connell talks about Cam Akers. This is what KOC said about Akers before the Vikings-Texans game:

"I love Cam Akers. I got a chance to be around him from his first day being an NFL player, coming off an unbelievable career at Florida State. Cam is a unique, special, and talented person. To deal with the type of adversity he has in his young career and never once have you ever heard him feel sorry for himself."

"Incredibly tough player, both mentally and physically. The Houston Texans having Cam Akers makes him a player we've got to focus on regardless of what the depth chart looks like going into the game because I know exactly what Cam Akers is and what he's capable of on any Sunday in the National Football League. I am looking forward to seeing him, I have a great relationship with him, and care about him tremendously."

let's make sure @wcblack34 doesn't swoon and fall out of his chair...

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

• vike daddy changed the title to Not Just the X's and O's, But the Culture of the KOC Offense