Who here is a Salary Cap expert? I have ❓'s

It is my belief that we need to be very aggressive this FA.

Not only to give Wentz the tools to be successful immediately, but to fill holes on Defense.

But I also believe Rivera needs a successful season, or he may find himself on the hot seat.

So here are my questions & I appreciate your hard work in answering them, so thank you!

Questions

A) How much cap space do we have right now?

B) How much cap space can we get by extending Scary Terry, Deron Payne, Flowers, etc. (Presuming we are keeping them)

C) How much cap space can we get by working Wentz contract & how does this affect our dead cap, if traded or released from doing so?

D)How much cap space can we earn by cutting players not worthy of their contract. ( IE... Landon Collins)

E) Are there any players we can trade, that would NOT create dead cap on our books this yr?

F) All in all, how much cap space can we manufacturer this season, to be aggressive in FA & still have cap space to sign our 2022 draftees?

Thank you & feel free to add anything I haven't mentioned, that might be good to know.

6 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

It is my belief that we need to be very aggressive this FA.

Not only to give Wentz the tools to be successful immediately, but to fill holes on Defense.

But I also believe Rivera needs a successful season, or he may find himself on the hot seat.

So here are my questions & I appreciate your hard work in answering them, so thank you!

Questions

B) How much cap space can we get by extending Scary Terry, Deron Payne, Flowers, etc. (Presuming we are keeping them)

C) How much cap space can we get by working Wentz contract & how does this affect our dead cap, if traded or released from doing so?

D)How much cap space can we earn by cutting players not worthy of their contract. ( IE... Landon Collins)

E) Are there any players we can trade, that would NOT create dead cap on our books this yr?

F) All in all, how much cap space can we manufacturer this season, to be aggressive in FA & still have cap space to sign our 2022 draftees?

Thank you & feel free to add anything I haven't mentioned, that might be good to know.

@Wozis the one who usually can answer this.

But I think if @e16bball puts some of his junior associates on this, they can come up with it in a day.

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

@Wozis the one who usually can answer this.

But I think if @e16bball puts some of his junior associates on this, they can come up with it in a day.

Sweet!

Hopefully, we can get a rundown of what kind of salary cap shape we're in.

I'm hoping & wanting to know if we can still target players even after adding Wentz, with a little meanuvering with Salaries & Extensions.

Hoping we can get some idea here, on what we can do.

And hopefully, Rivera & Staff will make some of this happen.

Since hiring Rivera, we've been relatively quiet in FA. We've targeted players, like Stafford, Amari Cooper, Russell Wilson, etc.

But have been left holding the bag on most.

I want to see us capitalize on these Free Agents, with a New QB at the helm.

14 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Questions

$5.7ish million on the Top 51.

That depends on the contract. Flowers is the easy one to extend and lower the cap hit. There isn't too much to gain from Terry as his cap number this year is lower. It would be creative and back loaded to really do anything. Payne we have more to work with. My guess would be at least $3 million with Payne. $5-6 with Flowers. 

See @Thaiphoon's extremely detailed posts on it. 

We don't have too many more to cut. Everett is the easy one and would save $2 million. The Greek is another. Maybe could trade him too, but if you cut him it's like $6 million in savings. I could see this move happening if we bring in other stuff. And bring back Settle. 

Payne. A lot of the back end guys like AGG.

It just depends on the moves. The Wentz move, the Flowers extension, and Everett gone - three simple moves - might be something like $20 million in cap savings. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

$5.7ish million on the Top 51.

That depends on the contract. Flowers is the easy one to extend and lower the cap hit. There isn't too much to gain from Terry as his cap number this year is lower. It would be creative and back loaded to really do anything. Payne we have more to work with. My guess would be at least $3 million with Payne. $5-6 with Flowers. 

See @Thaiphoon's extremely detailed posts on it. 

We don't have too many more to cut. Everett is the easy one and would save $2 million. The Greek is another. Maybe could trade him too, but if you cut him it's like $6 million in savings. I could see this move happening if we bring in other stuff. And bring back Settle. 

Payne. A lot of the back end guys like AGG.

It just depends on the moves. The Wentz move, the Flowers extension, and Everett gone - three simple moves - might be something like $20 million in cap savings. 

Thank you, Mike.

I imagine Sherff is as good as gone then, too.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Thank you, Mike.

I imagine Sherff is as good as gone then, too.

You're welcome. And yes, but I think that decision is separate from everything anyway. He was probably gone no matter what pre or post trade. 

• Like 1

Yea, I don't see us spending big on a WR via FA. We'll draft one.

I do think Ertz makes since. Friends & familiarity with Wentz. Only 31 & can still play. Plus Logan Thomas coming off injury.

I think Jordan Hicks makes since, as well. Former Eagles, too. Fills a huge need for Mike LBer & a good player.

So that's a TE & LBer in FA.

Going to be interesting what they do with Flowers & Payne.

William Jackson makes way too much money, btw. That was not a good signing. I don't think he's very good. Who idea was this? Holy moly...

So I think we go WR & QB in the draft for sure. Somewhere...

RB is a mystery to me, though. We could add a FA or draft one. Is Mcissic gone? How do they feel about Patterson? Could we trade Gibson? I have no idea what their plans are for this position.

O-line is gonna be interesting too. How do we replace Scherff. We can't keep him, right?

Could Guard be a target at #11…?

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

I believe that after the Wentz trade (cost $28M), the official setting of the salary cap (the maximum increase, to $208.2M), and the Collins release (adds $6.5M, unless designated 6/1), we are at about $12.4M

Long story short (because I wrote out the long story and then it got deleted when the page refreshed itself), I think they’ll target the contracts of Flowers, Ioannidis, Schweitzer, Jackson, Fuller, and Wentz for some sort of action. Ioannidis is probably the only one looking at the possibility of a cut/release. A cut saves $6.8M, an extension would probably save $3-3.5M. Flowers and Schweitzer should both be extended if they intend for them to be the likely starting guards, which would probably save about $6.5M, maybe a bit more.

I don’t know they view Jackson and Fuller, but if they see either as a long-term player here (would think Fuller more likely for that), they could extend that guy out a ways and free up some pretty significant money there. They could do the same with Samuel, but I’m not increasing my future commitment to him until I see him actually take the field. 

Extending Terry definitely wouldn’t save them any money. Likely the same is true of Payne, although I suppose it’s possible they could lower his cap hit a bit from $8.5M depending on the value of the extension.

The easy answer here is the $13M that Hogs Haven and others have referenced. Convert $19.5M of his $22M base salary this year into a “signing bonus,” which would spread that amount across the 3 seasons of the contract in equal thirds. That drops his 2022 cap number from $28.3M to $15.3M. Obviously, it increases the next two years’ cap hits by $6.5m each. 

Looks like Mike hit the two big ones as I was writing all this up multiple times: Everett will be dealt with somehow to save $2M and Greek is a possible cap casualty ($6.8M). The latter could also be extended, if they were so inclined. Same applies to Flowers and Schweitzer, as I mentioned above.

The only other guy who could really fall into this category is Heinicke, and you’re really not getting a solid backup QB for less than the $2.5M we’d save by cutting him loose. 

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

For me, this is where Payne comes in. Trade him for a draft pick, you pick up somewhere in the ballpark of $7.5M in 2022 cap on the deal. 

Flowers is probably the only other guy that I could potentially see bringing back a remotely meaningful return in trade without costing us meaningful dead cap. Maybe Fuller?

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

If I was speculating about how much space I think they can reasonably open up, I’d say at least another $20-25M on top of the $12.4M that they already have. $13M from Wentz, which I think is probably a necessary evil; $4M from Flowers; $3M from Ioannidis; $2.5M from Schweitzer; $2M from Everett. 

That’s without cutting anyone, trading anyone, or touching any of the other big contracts for restructuring. If they need more, they can free it up. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Look what I found.

Awesome!

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/washington-commanders/

You can literally play with Washington Commanders cap.

Omg, this is awesome!

Yep, that’s a great resource. As is Spotrac, though it doesn’t have that particular tool. 

OTC is what most of us “experts” rely on for our contract data. 

• Like 1

Designate Collins post June 1 cut and save 11.8 million

Trade Payne for 8,529,000

Everrett 2 mil

Do the conversion on Wentz salary to signing bonus spread out over 3 years for 13 mil (?)

Would have you with about 40 mil to spend. Then you can do Flowers or not for some more.

I would be wary of doing anything that might produce future dead money cap hit for us in the future if he can't hold up health wise, until he proves he can play for a full season.

No need to cut Matty I. He is literally the best-case scenario for a 5th round draft pick. Team player/ locker room guy w/ great production and value.

Hopefully re-sign Settle.

Edited by MacDog
  • Like 2