Who here is a Salary Cap expert? I have ❓'s

1 hour ago, MacDog said:

No need to cut Matty I. He is literally the best-case scenario for a 5th round draft pick. Team player/ locker room guy w/ great production and value.

Hopefully re-sign Settle.

I'd rather move on from him than Payne. He hasn't performed since the move to the 4-3. The cap plus maybe a 4th or something would be nice. Especially if you resign Settle. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MacDog said:

Designate Collins post June 1 cut and save 11.8 million

Trade Payne for 8,529,000

Everrett 2 mil

Do the conversion on Wentz salary to signing bonus spread out over 3 years for 13 mil (?)

Would have you with about 40 mil to spend. Then you can do Flowers or not for some more.

I would be wary of doing anything that might produce future dead money cap hit for us in the future if he can't hold up health wise, until he proves he can play for a full season.

No need to cut Matty I. He is literally the best-case scenario for a 5th round draft pick. Team player/ locker room guy w/ great production and value.

Hopefully re-sign Settle.

Only problem with Post June 1st cuts is that you don't get the cap space until June 1st.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd rather move on from him than Payne. He hasn't performed since the move to the 4-3. The cap plus maybe a 4th or something would be nice. Especially if you resign Settle. 

Well in 2020 Ioannidis was hurt, hard to hold that against him & w/ us only playing 2 DTs now all the time bc we run a 4-3 instead of 3-4, Ioannidis gets less snaps as the 3rd DT than he got in the 3-4 from 2017-2019.

The problem with re-signing Payne remains that he’s going to cost $10 mil plus more per year. If we traded him we’d also get back a 2nd & a later pick for someone who needs a starting NT.

If we’re going to keep Chase & Sweat as our DEs (they have the most upside of all our DL) then re-signing Payne makes zero sense to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Well in 2020 Ioannidis was hurt, hard to hold that against him & w/ us only playing 2 DTs now all the time bc we run a 4-3 instead of 3-4, Ioannidis gets less snaps as the 3rd DT than he got in the 3-4 from 2017-2019.

The problem with re-signing Payne remains that he’s going to cost $10 mil plus more per year. If we traded him we’d also get back a 2nd & a later pick for someone who needs a starting NT.

If we’re going to keep Chase & Sweat as our DEs (they have the most upside of all our DL) then re-signing Payne makes zero sense to me.

Agree with you on this.

They absolutely can’t pay 4 DTs market value, so one of them has to go. I think you could get solid DT2-4 production from Ioannidis, Settle, and a rookie (or someone like Daniel Wise), so I would make the same decision you’re coming to — trade Payne for a useful return, save money at the position, and re-allocate your resources elsewhere. 

If this 4-man DL had proven to be absolutely dominant, I might be motivated to suggest moving heaven and earth to keep them all together. But that hasn’t been the case, and we can’t just close our eyes and pretend that it has been. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Only problem with Post June 1st cuts is that you don't get the cap space until June 1st.

Don’t you have until the start of the season to get under the cap? Or do you have t9 be under the cap first to sign a player? I’ve seen players get extensions being over the cap before (I believe the saints have done this. Also isn’t Green Bay well over right now with their extensions?)

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

Don’t you have until the start of the season to get under the cap? Or do you have t9 be under the cap first to sign a player? I’ve seen players get extensions being over the cap before (I believe the saints have done this. Also isn’t Green Bay well over right now with their extensions?)

All teams must be under the cap on March 16th (Wednesday), at the start of the league year.

They must stay under the cap all season or risk a 5 million dollar fine, cancellation of contracts and loss of draft picks.

You can make coinciding moves to stay under the contract. i.e. sign a guy and release another guy at same time, or restructure a contract, to make room.

Edited by MacDog
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, MacDog said:

All teams must be under the cap on March 16th (Wednesday), at the start of the league year.

They must stay under the cap all season or risk a 5 million dollar fine, cancellation of contracts and loss of draft picks.

You can make coinciding moves to stay under the contract. i.e. sign a guy and release another guy at same time, or restructure a contract, to make room.

Yup ^^^. This is why you need to have cap room for in-season moves. Otherwise you're restructuring guys or cutting guys from the 53 man roster just to be able to sign a guy to fill in for someone who is injured.

It's also why post-June 1st cuts are rarely useful.

Spotrac does have tools that you can use to restructure, and such. 

My thoughts are this:

1. Restructure Wentz base salary. (2 years to ride with Riverboat Ron down the Potomac)

2. Trade or Release Matt Ionnaidis.

3. Do not sign a high price free agent. (Get a 3rd compensatory for Scherff)

4. Restructure Curtis Samuel. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The salary cap is as real as big foot. Green Bay has basically brought back everyone they wanted too an they were like $40M over. The Cowboys basically don't operate like there is a salary cap and rarely lose anyone they don't want too. 

Right, the salary cap is just an arbitrary number. Teams will get under. They all have capologists. All deals are structured in a way that usually has the least amount of impact for that salary year. For some reason, the Commanders have not caught on to this yet.