2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

Just now, 43M said:

I think they would have done it already.

I honestly thought so to…Depot has the Steelers at roughly $11 mill under with 2 big holes at SS and WR.

Between signing the draft picks and then liking to have $7 mill or so for in season stuff, they’ll need to do something.

A full Watt restructure would be $17 mill.

8 minutes ago, AFF said:

I honestly thought so to…Depot has the Steelers at roughly $11 mill under with 2 big holes at SS and WR.

Between signing the draft picks and then liking to have $7 mill or so for in season stuff, they’ll need to do something.

A full Watt restructure would be $17 mill.

I think we get a SS, but I dont see them doing anything about WR until the draft.    I think they will draft 1, if not 2 WRs, and possibly go after a vet before the season.     There really arent many options at WR right now unless we want to sign a declining veteran like Julio, TY Hilton or DeSean Jackson.

Sucks because teams will pretty much know we really need a WR, and we will strongly consider WR in rd 1....which Im not a fan of.  Not with this class, anyway.

Edited by 43M

I know I’m generally pretty optimistic, but I’m kind of cautious of Mathieu. Being in Missouri, I know a lot of Chiefs fans. They were pretty down on Mathieu’s play last year. The major criticism is his lack of physicality and tackling. Maybe being on a more talented defense will help cover for some of his deficiencies. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I know I’m generally pretty optimistic, but I’m kind of cautious of Mathieu. Being in Missouri, I know a lot of Chiefs fans. They were pretty down on Mathieu’s play last year. The major criticism is his lack of physicality and tackling. Maybe being on a more talented defense will help cover for some of his deficiencies. 

Im not overly excited about him, but we have had largely horrid safety play over the last decade.    Minkah changed that a little, but we haven't had a great compliment to him.   Edmunds was servicable but ultimately JAG and a mostly wasted first rd pick.

Matthieu isnt anything special at this point, but it would probably only be a 1 or 2 year deal, so at worst he comes here and is mediocre for a year in a season with low expectations anyway.    At best, he and Minkah form a great duo for a couple years.

Not gonna sweat it either way.   I just want a semi decent safety in FA so we dont force another  Edmunds-esque pick.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah. This. But what do u do with edmunds? 

Maybe a top afc defense has to have 2 deep safeties most of the time these days. idk. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

9 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Chiefs secondary wasn't too good last year and needed him to help in coverage more.

3 hours ago, BradfordSteeler said:

Not going to lie, I'm no huge JuJu fan who can't see anything wrong in him, but seeing him in another teams jersey feels wrong. I hope it all goes well for him, but he got what it meant to be a Pittsburgh Steeler and for the money he's gone for we should have at least matched that.

I'm more disturbed by the outcry of everyone that's bashing him than they people who were the "Juju's great".

With the possibility of going WR in round 1 looking more and more likely I starting doing some more digging on the guys at the top and man if we do go WR at 20, I think the guy is Jameson Williams. There’s a ton of good WRs in this draft but IMO Williams and Wilson (who should be gone) are the only two top 10 level talents at WR in the draft.

I forgot just how dominant he was last year until his injury, he just made SEC DBs look silly all season. He is the PERFECT fit to what our WR room needs and would look great in Black n Gold. Jameson - DJ - Claypool - Muth - Najee would be cooking with some gas on offense.

All this being said, I have a hard time seeing Tomlin pull the trigger on an injured player in the first round. I mean the first thing he says to any player we draft is “hey man are you healthy?” Lol. The medicals would really have to be looking good for us to take him.

• Like 1