2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

23 minutes ago, August4th said:

the Watson trade might of added two teams in the QB draft race. Carolina and Atlanta. I hope they do take a QB. that's two less teams in the 2023 QB draft race. With Brady coming back, I doubt TB will be picking ahead of us next yr. Just some looking ahead thoughts

The way I see it, there are 17 teams that dont have a 5 year QB plan.   Meaning, those teams have QBs that are stop gaps, aging vets and just bad QBs.  Even if 5 or 6 teams in this draft get QBs they feel have franchise potential....thats still gonna leave about 12 teams potentially looking at QBs next year.

While I don't really want any of this years QBs, its unlikely we get a shot at notably better prospects next year unless we lose at least 10 games....which is possible, but I could just as easily see us win 10 games, if only because this team does show resiliency under Tomlin when we're underdogs.

Basically what Im saying is...we likely arent going to be in position for a blue chip QB prospect.   We are likely going to have to take a shot at a flawed prospect with upside at some point.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 43M said:

The way I see it, there are 17 teams that dont have a 5 year QB plan.   Meaning, those teams have QBs that are stop gaps, aging vets and just bad QBs.  Even if 5 or 6 teams in this draft get QBs they feel have franchise potential....thats still gonna leave about 12 teams potentially looking at QBs next year.

While I don't really want any of this years QBs, its unlikely we get a shot at notably better prospects next year unless we lose at least 10 games....which is possible, but I could just as easily see us win 10 games, if only because this team does show resiliency under Tomlin when we're underdogs.

Basically what Im saying is...we likely arent going to be in position for a blue chip QB prospect.   We are likely going to have to take a shot at a flawed prospect with upside at some point.

I think we’ll be in a better position to make an aggressive trade up for “our guy” next year. With all these 2 year contracts we should theoretically have less holes to fill next offseason and a more full stable of draft picks.

Edited by bigben07MVP

4 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Agreed. I’m starting to buy into Willis going #2 to Detroit as well. He’s currently the betting favorite. 

It wouldn't shock me at all. If Willis, Pickett, and any other QB go before 20, I just don't see any scenario where it makes sense for us to go QB this year.

11 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

It wouldn't shock me at all. If Willis, Pickett, and any other QB go before 20, I just don't see any scenario where it makes sense for us to go QB this year.

I wouldn't draft QB if they were all there at 20.   Chances are one will be pretty good, but Im not confident in any of them.

• Like 1

I'm skeptical on Mathieu as a fit, but then again, it depends on how they shape the D this year.
I think Edmunds is a good compliment to Fitz. Maybe not a star, but certainly solid and if stopping 
the run is a priority, he's a better fit than Mathieu for sure.

I guess it's possible safety ends up being an early round pick with either Daxton Hill or Lewis Cine,
or we resign Edmunds to a shorter term deal and draft someone like N.Cross in the 3rd/4th.

1 hour ago, mwalker said:

I'm skeptical on Mathieu as a fit, but then again, it depends on how they shape the D this year.
I think Edmunds is a good compliment to Fitz. Maybe not a star, but certainly solid and if stopping 
the run is a priority, he's a better fit than Mathieu for sure.

I guess it's possible safety ends up being an early round pick with either Daxton Hill or Lewis Cine,
or we resign Edmunds to a shorter term deal and draft someone like N.Cross in the 3rd/4th.

I think our improved ILB group and healthy D-line will keep the safeties from having to get too dirty stopping the run. At least I hope so.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 43M said:

That contract would be absolutely awful....so it will probably happen.

If they pay him more than his 5th year option would’ve been (6 mill) AND add multiple years, I will be pissed. Not picking up his 5th year option when everyone assumed they would was a savvy move. Would make no sense turn around and give him more than that when he showed nothing in 2021 that he didn’t show in 2020 and prior.