2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It would cost next years 1st to move back into the 1st. Almost historically always does from that far down. 

And there’s no middle ground. Either the top QBs will be gone or they will all be there. 

But run this scenario:

Pickett is still there as is Ridder. Willis just goes 19 to NO. Olave is still on the board. KC calls. They offer 29&62 because they really want Olave. Do you say no? What if it’s Buffalo with 25&57 for 20 and 2023 3rd?

With GB sitting at 22, I think there’s a good chance we’re a prime trade down spot (as is NE) if a WR or two fall. Jump GB and get one of those top guys? They need to do it. In fact I’d be prepared for one of them to overpay to do that. 

Yea I’m on board with both of those trades, more so the Chiefs one and I think your logic is on point here. 

I really have a hard time seeing NO take a QB though. I firmly believe all the QBs will be there at 20 at this point, which to me makes a trade down less likely. 

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It would cost next years 1st to move back into the 1st. Almost historically always does from that far down. 

And there’s no middle ground. Either the top QBs will be gone or they will all be there. 

But run this scenario:

Pickett is still there as is Ridder. Willis just goes 19 to NO. Olave is still on the board. KC calls. They offer 29&62 because they really want Olave. Do you say no? What if it’s Buffalo with 25&57 for 20 and 2023 3rd?

With GB sitting at 22, I think there’s a good chance we’re a prime trade down spot (as is NE) if a WR or two fall. Jump GB and get one of those top guys? They need to do it. In fact I’d be prepared for one of them to overpay to do that. 

I would sprint to the podium for Olave but YMMV

Deep speed: check

route running: Check - best in class

Hands: check

Edited by jebrick

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I would sprint to the podium for Olave but YMMV

Deep speed: check

route running: Check - best in class

Hands: check

If I could move to 25-29, get Dodson, get overpaid to do it? I take it. Mostly because I have Olave and Dodson on the same level. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

If I could move to 25-29, get Dodson, get overpaid to do it? I take it. Mostly because I have Olave and Dodson on the same level. 

True but this is the Steelers we are talking about, right?  Sprint to the podium is the best bet.  They will be half way to the podium before the phone rings 

Edited by jebrick

7 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Yea I’m on board with both of those trades, more so the Chiefs one and I think your logic is on point here. 

I really have a hard time seeing NO take a QB though. I firmly believe all the QBs will be there at 20 at this point, which to me makes a trade down less likely. 

Rumors are heavy that they like Penning and wanted the 2nd 1st because there’s a QB they like. Remember Watson is coming off an ACL and has a 1 year deal. 

Just now, jebrick said:

True but this is the Steelers we are talking about, right?  Sprint to the podium is the best bet.

I think we overplay that too much. Colbert himself said the other day that they have to see how many picks they move back, are they comfortable with who’s at the top of the board there, and go from there. Who says Olave is in the top 20 of their board. I think Olave is Juju in the NFL in that he’s a great #2, underwhelming #1, but needs that top 15 #1. Wilson pulled a lot of doubles leaving Olave in single coverage. 

26 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think we overplay that too much. Colbert himself said the other day that they have to see how many picks they move back, are they comfortable with who’s at the top of the board there, and go from there. Who says Olave is in the top 20 of their board. I think Olave is Juju in the NFL in that he’s a great #2, underwhelming #1, but needs that top 15 #1. Wilson pulled a lot of doubles leaving Olave in single coverage. 

Their comfort level is pretty low as they have not traded back since 2003.

Olave, Wilson and Smith-Njigba all benefited for the others being on the field.  I serious doubt that Wilson was doubled more than any of the other 2. 

Edited by jebrick

12 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

One scenario I keep thinking about is none of our top needs fall and we can’t trade back. However, Jermaine Johnson II is there as BPA.  Do you take him or reach for a WR or S?  

JJ is going top 10 imo. I would take him at 20 in a heartbeat though.

36 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I’ve gone cold on Dotson. I think he’s strictly a slot WR who isn’t that great after the catch, which is one of the most important traits for a WR in todays NFL.

Olave on the other hand reminds me so much of Tyler Lockett. Yea he may not be an Alpha WR1 but he could be a really high level #2 and he’s a perfect compliment to DJ and Chase.

52 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I’ve gone cold on Dotson. I think he’s strictly a slot WR who isn’t that great after the catch, which is one of the most important traits for a WR in todays NFL.

Olave on the other hand reminds me so much of Tyler Lockett. Yea he may not be an Alpha WR1 but he could be a really high level #2 and he’s a perfect compliment to DJ and Chase.

Thank the PSU QB who I refuse to mention by name.  Crap ball placement is an insult to inaccurate QB’s.  Also how is he strictly a slot WR without many slot snaps?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Their comfort level is pretty low as they have not traded back since 2003.

Olave, Wilson and Smith-Njigba all benefited for the others being on the field.  I serious doubt that Wilson was doubled more than any of the other 2. 

I don’t mean doubles in two men literally on him.  More that coverage tilted Wilsons way far more than Olave. Not saying they didn’t benefit from each other but there’s a reason why Wilson is the highest regarded of the 3.

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I don’t mean doubles in two men literally on him.  More that coverage tilted Wilsons way far more than Olave. Not saying they didn’t benefit from each other but there’s a reason why Wilson is the highest regarded of the 3.

Again, all depends on which draft-nik list you use.  Draftnetwork has Olave as the #2 WR behind Willamson and Wilson as the #5 behind London and Dotson.  We will see tonight what the real value is.

If I had to bet, I say Olave has a better career than Wilson. Route running is the name of the game in the NFL -- Wilson is okay, but Olave was tremendous. He is going to win all the time in the pros. 

Edited by Dcash4

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

If I had to bet, I say Olave has a better career than Wilson. Route running is the name of the game in the NFL -- Wilson is okay, but Olave was tremendous. He is going to win all the time in the pros. 

He reminds me of a supercharged Diontae. 

Edit - Olave, that is. 

• Like 1